Moving from Munich to Helsinki?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
BruceWayne

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:31 pm

Hello,
what would be your take on moving from Munich, working in IT with a gross salary of 52K EUR/year, to Helsinki? I have 5 years of experience in Software Development (Java, C, Perl).
And how difficult is it to find a flat in Helsinki? Here in Munich it's crazy, unbelievable...I wouldn't recommend anybody to move here, unless you have a super-inflated salary. There's a lot of competition for flats, and landlords are very picky.

I could also consider moving to Copenhagen or Stockholm and do a weekly commute by plane or ferry, if the job situation in Finland is really so bad like I've briefly read...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Moving from Munich to Helsinki?

Post by Rip » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:29 am

I first thought you had a job offer here, but based on the last few sentences you don't. What is it then wife/GF?

downhand

Post by downhand » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:34 am

BruceWayne wrote:Hello,
what would be your take on moving from Munich, working in IT with a gross salary of 52K EUR/year, to Helsinki? I have 5 years of experience in Software Development (Java, C, Perl).
And how difficult is it to find a flat in Helsinki? Here in Munich it's crazy, unbelievable...I wouldn't recommend anybody to move here, unless you have a super-inflated salary. There's a lot of competition for flats, and landlords are very picky.

I could also consider moving to Copenhagen or Stockholm and do a weekly commute by plane or ferry, if the job situation in Finland is really so bad like I've briefly read...
I won't comment on the rest, but housing is very similar in Munich and Helsinki. Getting a decent flat in the center is very difficult and they're unreasonably expensive. If you're okay with commuting more than 5-6 km (not that big of a deal in my opinion) and willing to pay 800+ euro for a small flat, finding a place is still not trivial, but I wouldn't call it particularly difficult.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:41 pm

I can add that housing in Stockholm is beyond difficult, it is totally ridiculous. So moving there and commuting to Finland is not a good option.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:00 pm

So do you already have a job in Helsinki? Finding a flat is not a problem as long as you have the money, finding a job is much more difficult.

Querfeldein

Post by Querfeldein » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:06 pm

Unless the Munich housing market has become easier over the past five years since I left (which I highly doubt), I think finding a flat in Helsinki is actually a bit easier compared to central Munich. Public transport is also cheaper in Helsinki, while food and services are more expensive. As others have pointed out, it really comes down to your job; if you have an offer, why not go for it (that's what I decided), otherwise I'd try to find a job first, and then think about moving.