hey people

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Rosamunda

Re: hey people

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:38 pm

C'mon.

If - in 2010 - you had asked every Syrian in Syria where they would be in August 2015, they would probably have replied S Y R I A. And you are being nothing but obtuse if you choose to ignore the fact that Finland will receive thousands more Syrians over the next few months/years. Those Syrians are already in Europe.

I totally agree that the situation whereby Finns can get a free education in Finland and then move to work in Norway/New Zealand/Canada/UK etc as soon as they graduate is absurd. Definitely a problem, but probably not so difficult to fix.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Oho

Post by Oho » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 pm

Rosamunda wrote:C'mon.

If - in 2010 - you had asked every Syrian in Syria where they would be in August 2015, they would probably have replied S Y R I A. And you are being nothing but obtuse if you choose to ignore the fact that Finland will receive thousands more Syrians over the next few months/years. Those Syrians are already in Europe.

I totally agree that the situation whereby Finns can get a free education in Finland and then move to work in Norway/New Zealand/Canada/UK etc as soon as they graduate is absurd. Definitely a problem, but probably not so difficult to fix.
You do not know that and neither do I. The asylum seekers seem very well informed on which countries are most likely to grant them protection and what is the average standard of living and benefit level in those countries. Syrians have better places to pick than Finland, Germany and Sweden spring to mind. Finland gets a lot of Iraqi and Somali asylum seekers because unlike in most other EU countries they are almost guaranteed either an asylum or a permanent residence permit on some other token. This year by the end of August about 2% of the asylum seekers that had arrived in Finland were Syrian nationals.

I don't know how easy or difficult it is to fix, would probably require massive undertaking of rather hastily performed crude lobotomies with meat cleavers as pretty much every recent and decent graduate without too many bats in the attic is waiting for any decent opportunity to leave this sinking ship. I am half way seriously thinking about hopping the fence and becoming a tax payee instead of a tax payer, would at least get something out of paying taxes for the last 25 odd years.

Jacquelineh

Post by Jacquelineh » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:49 pm

tummansininen wrote:
Rosamunda wrote:I totally agree that the situation whereby Finns can get a free education in Finland and then move to work in Norway/New Zealand/Canada/UK etc as soon as they graduate is absurd. Definitely a problem, but probably not so difficult to fix.
Easy to fix, stop offering English-language tuition to people from outside Finland.

The argument goes back and forth on whether we benefit from it monetarily in the short term (probably, but only just) and in any case, it's crystal clear that most of them take their shiny papers out of Finland at the end

Less-simple fix: compulsory Finnish lessons as part of the degree and requiring B1 language level to complete the degree. But someone's gotta pay for it and then the arguments would start about teaching Finnish to people who have no intention of staying etc, all around in a circle again.

Someone has told me that they will start the tuition fee in 2017 :) ... Anyway, Finland can get the idea from Singapore for instance. Singaporean government offer foreign students the education and in return they need to stay and work there within 5 years or so to pay back :)

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Jacquelineh wrote:Singaporean government offer foreign students the education and in return they need to stay and work there within 5 years or so to pay back :)
https://tgonline.moe.gov.sg/tgis/normal ... nfo.action
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Jacquelineh

Post by Jacquelineh » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:52 pm

adnan wrote:
Jacquelineh wrote:Singaporean government offer foreign students the education and in return they need to stay and work there within 5 years or so to pay back :)
https://tgonline.moe.gov.sg/tgis/normal ... nfo.action
Thanks for correcting the information. I think it is quite good idea but the problem is Finland doesn't seem to have enough job offers plus certain jobs require very good skills of Finnish