hey people

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: hey people

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:04 am

levyraccoon wrote:What I am still hazy about is;

minimum salry to expect/ month
Depends completely on what kind of work you do, could be 1500€ or 5000€. If you both find any full-time work and have the cash to buy a house with, your income is enough for you to live on. Another thing is whether you want to spend all your cash with the current interest rates, instead of getting a loan and investing the rest.
levyraccoon wrote: cost of a <150 m/2 house outside/ close to a larger city
300 000€, give or take 100 000€. It's not the size so much as the location and condition, check the links that have already been provided.
levyraccoon wrote: average living expense for 2(and a cat) with a Saab 1000 EU?
You should seriously consider bringing a car with you, taxes are high but up until the end of 2017 (for a car you have owned at least from the end of 2014) you can still get a tax exemption (maximum of 13 450€) for a (single) car you're bringing with you while moving. Essentially you'd get a car in "tax-free", drive it for a few years and still have value left in it in the Finnish market.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Oho

Post by Oho » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:30 am

Thinking about moving to Finland, dont!

levyraccoon

Post by levyraccoon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:56 am

Oho wrote:Thinking about moving to Finland, dont!

because;

Kössi K

Post by Kössi K » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:12 am

And just for that ^ well-thought-out argument I was considering deleting my previous post and the info there, but then decided it may be of some help for some others who actually have good reasons for coming here.
Joha mie sanoi, vaikken mittää virkkant.

esox

Post by esox » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:08 pm

I wouldn't bother to ship a car from across the pond you can get fair priced audi/volkswagen here and they are usually quite well maintained as cars are quite pricey new, for example major work that you wouldn't even think about in the uk gets done as the cost of replacing the car is high. I have scrapped cars before now because of gearbox failure. Forget saab, aftermarket parts prices are high and getting ever more difficult to source as they are no longer producing vehicles.

Why I am writing anyway is i think you should hold fire for at least 5 months to see what this refugee crisis brings. im serious, people will just write any old rubbish to put you off here (which is classic as this is a forum of immigrants). They have stopped all rail to the mainland in denmark and put guards on the roads at the boarder. last night they started breaching the northern boarder from sweeden. It is a pretty grim outlook, people are in strong support of it as well but at the end of the day how can non eu nationals migrate en mass across europe but if you want to go and have a lash up in shagaluf (magaluf, awful spanish resort frequented by british scum) you go through strict boarder security in and out and have your bags searched? europe is changing permanently.

Oho

Post by Oho » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:21 pm

levyraccoon wrote:
Oho wrote:Thinking about moving to Finland, dont!

because;

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:56 pm

levyraccoon wrote:What I am still hazy about is;

minimum salry to expect/ month
Try these for some information (collected from the general public and the state statistics bureau, respectively):
http://www.palkkavertailu.com/
http://www.stat.fi/til/pal_en.html
levyraccoon wrote:cost of a <150 m/2 house outside/ close to a larger city
Helsinki, Espoo, and Vantaa - while each an administratively independent municipality - make for a pretty much seamless urban area. They also share the same public transit system, public library system etc.

Elsewhere in the country, the separate cities of Tampere, Turku, and Oulu offer some meek rivalry.

There are smaller cities, of course, such as Jyväskylä or Seinäjoki (click, click), which may or may not be what you want from a city.

Finnish cities by population:
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luettelo_ ... vun_mukaan

Some of the largest online real estate agents / real estate ad aggregation services:
http://www.oikotie.fi/
http://www.etuovi.com/
http://www.vuokraovi.com/
http://www.jokakoti.fi/

See also:
https://www.google.fi/search?q=asunnot
znark

levyraccoon

Post by levyraccoon » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Kossi K (sorry, my keyboard doesn't have your characters) and Oho, it takes quite a bit more than your posts to keep a Canuck at bay.
I will definitely casing out the joint comes end of September. Hotels are booked :ochesey:
Look a the bright side tough, if I decide to move to your country, I would be willing to integrate/ learn your language HAVE MY OWN MONEY,unlikely to ever depend on your welfare system, as I haven't done it for 48 years, not like those asians Finland just about to take on....
Sorry.

Esox, thanks for the advise regarding the car. One of my favourite car is a rather nice Saab, that I could only really sell at loss. So, if I can get it there for less than $3000.00, which I can, its a better deal. 2008 Saab 9-5 Aero, <100km. Canada value $4000.00+/- I owned it for ever, with FSH... She would come.

As for the refugees, our government is having a bidding war with the opposition right now, who can import more of them to Canada, so it isn't rosie here either. At least in Finland I could be in the luxurious position of moving away from larger urban areas, where these tend to gravitate to.

Jukka Aho, thank you for the links, will be checked today and tomorrow.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:46 pm

levyraccoon wrote:Kossi K (sorry, my keyboard doesn't have your characters)
If you're using Windows and one of the standard Canadian keyboard layouts that come with it:

The Canadian Multilingual Standard layout:
  1. Press "Shift" + the caret key, which is located one step right from the "P" key. (This key has the dieresis as a secondary "dead key" function.)
  2. Release both keys.
  3. Type one of these letters: "a", "A", "o", "O" to get the letters "ä", "Ä", "ö", "Ö".
The Canadian French layout:
  1. Press "Shift" + the cedilla accent key, which is located two steps right from the "P" key. (This key has the dieresis as a secondary "dead key" function.)
  2. Release both keys.
  3. Type one of these letters: "a", "A", "o", "O" to get the letters "ä", "Ä", "ö", "Ö".
The Canadian French (Legacy) layout:
  1. Press "Shift" + "Alt Gr" + the "Ç" key, which is located two steps right from the "P" key. (This key has the dieresis as a tertiary "dead key" function.)
  2. Release both keys.
If you're using the US keyboard layout instead, you could choose to use the special "US International" alternative layout, which also comes with Windows and makes it easier to type accented letters on a standard US keyboard.

The US International layout:
  1. Try to type the quote character the normal way, by pressing "Shift" + the key next to the "\" key. Nothing will appear on the screen as that key combination works as a "dead key" now.
  2. When using the "US International" layout, the quote character will only appear if you follow it with a space. But do not type a space.
  3. Instead, release both keys, and type one of these letters: "a", "A", "o", "O" to get the letters "ä", "Ä", "ö", "Ö".
The standard US English layout:
  1. There is no way to produce accented letters directly. But you can use the "Alt" key + numeric codes, which need to be typed on the numpad. Also, for this to work, the "Num Lock" function/light needs to be switched on.
  2. Press down the "Alt" key and keep it pressed. Then, while keeping it pressed, type one of the following numeric code sequences on the numpad to produce the corresponding letter (the letter will appear when you release the Alt key):
    • 0228 for the letter "ä"
    • 0196 for the letter "Ä"
    • 0246 for the letter "ö"
    • 0214 for the letter "Ö"
For visual representations of the standard Windows keyboard layouts, check out the drop-down menu on this page:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651.aspx

To see which keyboard layout you're currently using (or to change it, or to add an additional layout to which you can later switch at will), type "Windows Logo Key" + "R" (for "Run") and then "control input.dll" in the box that appears. (This panel is also available via the regional settings applet in the Control Panel.)

To switch between the installed keyboard layouts, use the Language Bar utility which comes with Windows.

If you're using Mac OS X or Linux, there are similar (but a bit different) ways of producing accented letters.

The physical markings on the keycaps do not matter in any of this. The computer does not know which kind of keycap markings you have on your keyboard. You could even switch to the genuine Finnish layout even if you do not have a "Finnish" keyboard.

It is also possible to create wholly customized keyboard layouts which allow you to type all kinds of special characters (those you often need) with ease, maybe basing this customized layout on some existing standard layout. And then there are tools such as the Windows Character Map which let you hunt and peck characters from a big list or a grid... but these are fairly cumbersome for daily use, as are the "Alt" codes.
znark

levyraccoon

Post by levyraccoon » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:36 pm

wow,

i used to own a computer where the keyboard was set to Cyrillic letters. Now I only have the one and its easier to apologise for a "mistype" than go through the rig moral.

Anyway s, off we go, ciao

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:21 am

levyraccoon wrote:i used to own a computer where the keyboard was set to Cyrillic letters.
The "Alt + numeric codes" method works on any keyboard, regardless of the current layout. So Cyrillic is fine, too. If your goal is to learn the language and integrate, figuring out how to conveniently type the letters of that language (or spell people's names, company names, street addresses, etc. correctly) is a sensible start. No excuses. :)
znark

Jacquelineh

Post by Jacquelineh » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:13 pm

levyraccoon wrote:Kossi K (sorry, my keyboard doesn't have your characters) and Oho, it takes quite a bit more than your posts to keep a Canuck at bay.
I will definitely casing out the joint comes end of September. Hotels are booked :ochesey:
Look a the bright side tough, if I decide to move to your country, I would be willing to integrate/ learn your language HAVE MY OWN MONEY,unlikely to ever depend on your welfare system, as I haven't done it for 48 years, not like those asians Finland just about to take on....
Sorry.

Esox, thanks for the advise regarding the car. One of my favourite car is a rather nice Saab, that I could only really sell at loss. So, if I can get it there for less than $3000.00, which I can, its a better deal. 2008 Saab 9-5 Aero, <100km. Canada value $4000.00+/- I owned it for ever, with FSH... She would come.

As for the refugees, our government is having a bidding war with the opposition right now, who can import more of them to Canada, so it isn't rosie here either. At least in Finland I could be in the luxurious position of moving away from larger urban areas, where these tend to gravitate to.

Jukka Aho, thank you for the links, will be checked today and tomorrow.

Those Asians? pls don't come. Dont need more racist people here! It is so obvious for all of us that this website is where foreign people gather and discuss about certain issues in Finland. What you remark is an absolute disgrace to Asian peopleas well as refugees. I don't get what you are trying to brag about yourself here, but remember you will be a foreigner here like other foreigners. Being a Canadian will not make you more human than anyone else.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:If your goal is to learn the language and integrate, figuring out how to conveniently type the letters of that language (or spell people's names, company names, street addresses, etc. correctly) is a sensible start. No excuses. :)
That was my spontaneous reaction as well.

There's a hell of a lot of "rigmarole" involved in reaching a functional level of Finnish.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Jacquelineh wrote:
Those Asians? pls don't come. Dont need more racist people here! It is so obvious for all of us that this website is where foreign people gather and discuss about certain issues in Finland. What you remark is an absolute disgrace to Asian peopleas well as refugees. I don't get what you are trying to brag about yourself here, but remember you will be a foreigner here like other foreigners. Being a Canadian will not make you more human than anyone else.
:thumbsup:

There's a subtle distinction between a yank and a jerk. One often resembles the other.

But not all yanks are jerks; and not all jerks are yanks.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

levyraccoon

Post by levyraccoon » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:15 pm

roger_roger wrote:
Jacquelineh wrote:Those Asians? pls don't come. Dont need more racist people here! It is so obvious for all of us that this website is where foreign people gather and discuss about certain issues in Finland. What you remark is an absolute disgrace to Asian peopleas well as refugees. I don't get what you are trying to brag about yourself here, but remember you will be a foreigner here like other foreigners. Being a Canadian will not make you more human than anyone else.
:thumbsup: Yet Canada is country made by Immigrants.
levyraccoon wrote:Look a the bright side tough, if I decide to move to your country, I would be willing to integrate/ learn your language HAVE MY OWN MONEY,unlikely to ever depend on your welfare system, as I haven't done it for 48 years, not like those asians Finland just about to take on....
Sorry.
What makes you think you OLD cu**t will integrate here better than those Asians you are talking about? Just because you are White & Christian? Finland need young working people to boom its economy NOT old chaps who plans to built their retirement home.
levyraccoon wrote:Now I only have the one and its easier to apologise for a "mistype" than go through the rig moral.
You are not even ready to take a basic lesson that Jukka took few hours to compile for you and you think you are ready for integration, NOPE lazy bastards always finds excuses.

bro' get a life, thanks for trolling.
Reading your contribution, makes me confident that you would have the balls to talk to me like this in person...
BTW, what makes you think that I am white? OR Christian?

MODS, PLEASE LOCK TRHREAD