Moving from Scotland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
CGB

Moving from Scotland

Post by CGB » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Hello all.

I'm a carpenter to trade but have been working in the Airport Fire service for the last 3 years. I've already spent one year working in Finland doing Log house renovations whilst living with my girlfriend.

We are planning on moving in May from Scotland, getting married in August then looking to buy a house when the dust settles. We have been saving in OP ASP account for our mortgage down payment. Hoping to buy a log house around Orimattila area and renovate for sub £100k

The airport I work at is a small one, so I am qualified in other airfield ops such as fuelling, marshalling, wildlife patrols. I have a security supervisor qualification and I am also certified to watch manage the fire service at any airport but lack experience above CAT 4 movements.

I don't expect to get any work in the fire service as my Finnish is basic atm. However, would there be any chance of me getting an Airfield Ops job at Vantaa?

If not then I'll be going it alone doing wood work again. I might have the odd job with my old boss but he recommends I start my own company so I can find my own work when he can't sub-contract me. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to how I start this process?

Cheers!

Moving from Scotland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Moving from Scotland

Post by rinso » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:36 am

I don't expect to get any work in the fire service as my Finnish is basic atm. However, would there be any chance of me getting an Airfield Ops job at Vantaa?
For many governmental jobs (fire service) Finnish nationality is a requirement (or at least strongly appreciated)

CGB

Post by CGB » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks for the replys. Yeah I thought my chances were slim to none at the airport.
Didn't know about the Finnish nationality requirement for fire service though. I aim to gain citizenship as soon as my language skills and minimum period of residency permits. For now I'll put my fire service career to one side.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. I've made a couple good friends from my year spent in Finland, especially my old boss who I visit every time I'm there on holiday. But yeah I can appreciate that it's hard to make friends with the language barrier and the planned rural location. I do currently live on an island so I am used to isolation :lol:

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:04 pm

rinso wrote: For many governmental jobs (fire service) Finnish nationality is a requirement (or at least strongly appreciated)

I doubt citizenship is required for fire brigade, but fluency is.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Not sure if it is still the case but there used to be a lot of volunteer fire services. You could look for one near your new home and try to get involved (albeit with dodgy Finnish) it would be one way of networking, using the language and meeting people. I'm sure there are plenty of things you could do with poor Finnish skills that would not constitute a security risk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_fighting_in_Finland

If you are interested in wildlife control (?) you could also think about getting a hunting licence (courses, exam) which is something else to add to your CV. Courses are run all over the country. Again, it's mostly in Finnish but my kids all managed to pass the exam when their Finnish was not that great.

There are people who work at the airport with minimal Finnish but they are mostly working for subcontractors like Barona, Sol, Staffpoint who manage baggage handling, cleaning etc.

Starting up a company is relatively simple but not as lucrative as in the UK (VAT kicks in at 8500e compared to circa £80K in England, not sure about Scotland but I assume it's the same). This guide is not 100% up to date (VAT is nnow 24% and other social contributions hav increased), but it contains all the basics: https://www.vasek.fi/assets/Files/Start ... ni-ENG.pdf
Last edited by Rosamunda on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:18 pm

I doubt citizenship is required for fire brigade, but fluency is.
At least in the past it was, but they might have changed the rules lately.

CGB

Post by CGB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks! I do have an contact for the head of training for the emergency services college. I think I will fire him an email with my CV and enquire about the process for joining in the future when my Finnish is better.

I also do the voluntary fire service for the local authority but I can't imagine they would imploy me with my current language skills. Scottish Fire and Rescue have the same requirements and training for Retained (minimum hour volunteers) as the do for whole time fire fighters.

Is it worth while me phoning the government and enquiring about starting a business now? Is it a lengthy process? I want to establish a company name so I can use that to assist me buying a van when I relocate so I can start work as soon as I can get it.

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:42 am

CGB wrote:Thanks for the replys. Yeah I thought my chances were slim to none at the airport.
Didn't know about the Finnish nationality requirement for fire service though. I aim to gain citizenship as soon as my language skills and minimum period of residency permits. For now I'll put my fire service career to one side.
AFAIK you also need to be employed and paying tax for a minimum number of consecutive years to be able to get citizenship. That is in addition to the language requirement and minimum length of time that Finland has been your primary country of residence where you have been living on a relevant permit. The former is what stops just 'anyone' getting citizenship.

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 am

justaguy wrote: AFAIK you also need to be employed and paying tax for a minimum number of consecutive years to be able to get citizenship. .
No you don't. You do not need to be employed at all (if you manage to get a A-permit on other grounds).

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:30 am

CGB wrote: Is it worth while me phoning the government and enquiring about starting a business now? Is it a lengthy process? I want to establish a company name so I can use that to assist me buying a van when I relocate so I can start work as soon as I can get it.
I posted this link higher up: https://www.vasek.fi/assets/Files/Start ... ni-ENG.pdf

You need to read through that to decide what kind of business you want to start up. eg a limited company or a sole trader. they are quite different. Setting up a company takes a matter of minutes and most of it can be done online, just find a native speaker to help you with the forms and there are even municipal services and yrityssuomi that will help you with the paperwork. Just do it when you get here and have an address etc. If you register with a temporary address you will have to update everything later, just added hassle.

Finding a van will take a while.... I'm looking for a cheap Peugeot Partner but they hold their value quite well so I'm thinking of trying Germany, France.

reachthesky

Post by reachthesky » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:23 am

nah, man.. you won't be getting any money.

to be honest, not quite sure why you wanna move out to finland? i mean, you're living in scotland? its @#$% beautiful out there...

CGB

Post by CGB » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 am

Rosamunda wrote: I posted this link higher up: https://www.vasek.fi/assets/Files/Start ... ni-ENG.pdf

Finding a van will take a while.... I'm looking for a cheap Peugeot Partner but they hold their value quite well so I'm thinking of trying Germany, France.
Thanks, I'll take good look at this. Sorry for posting a question relating to a link you already posted.

I was told that there are import taxes for buying a vehicle in Germany. I was under the impression that this made it not worthwhile. I thought about buying a small van and getting a trailer for when I need to use sheet goods/long lengths. Does my UK car + trailer licence apply in this case or do I have to do another Finnish trailer towing test?

Yeah Scotland is beautiful and where I live is heaven if you like whisky but Finland is a beautiful place to be too and we both really want to live there again.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:26 pm

Not import tax, but Carbon tax I think. Whether or not it is worthwhile is a case-by-case affair.

The towing rules changed recently I think. My other half had to take a towing test earlier this year but we're towing livestock. A normal B licence allows you to pull a trailer up to 750 kg. Anything heavier needs a piku-E licence.

I have a Very Old UK licence (that I am about to swap for a Finnish one) - it will be interesting to see what I get in return.