Staying in Finland as EU citizen

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Beep_Boop

Re: Staying in Finland as EU citizen

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:57 am

I hope you see how stupid it is to suggest that an EU citizen must leave the Schengen zone to rest the 3 months timer. So if you're from Finland and you stayed in Estonia for 3 months, now you have to go to Russia and then go back to Finland? WAT!
There's simply no mechanism for tracking the movement of EU citizens. So, the law is, by its nature, unenforceable. There's absolutely no point to going back to your country to reset the counter if you're an EU citizen.

Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Post by onkko » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:05 pm

justaguy wrote:When I saw other people ask about the '3 month rule' they said that you'd have to go all the way out of the schengen area, wait ages, and then be allowed to come back in. It was always more trouble than it's worth. Though I never used to think that this remotely applied to EU citizens who had freedom of movement within the EU.

Now you've basically got people on the forums here advising against even leaving, and giving borderline illegal advice.

It really surprises me how much things have changed in the last couple of years.
Thats for people from "outside" countries with border control and not people from within schengen area. Outside of schengen that applies.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

onkko

Post by onkko » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Lets make an example. I can move to DK/NO/SE etc due to nordic free movement agreement withouth guestion asked, i also can move in schengen area with questions asked like "how you support yourself". I cant move rest of countries withouth permission. Some places want visa what has to be applied way ahead of travel and some places couldnt care less if i visit. For example borders with sweden and russia.

So what i say about moving depends where you are from and where you are moving.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum