-

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
rinso
Posts: 3727
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Re: From Netherlands to Finland.

Post by rinso » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:58 am

klover2k wrote:Hello,

I'm a 23 year old girl from the Netherlands that wants to move to Finland to live with my boyfriend.

Currently in Holland I have an allowance due to my inability to work because of a mental 'illness', moving to Finland would take this allowance away and means I will have no income. Living off my boyfriends income is basically impossible as he is doing university and doesn't make that much. Is there anything similar in Finland that could cover my inability to work?

Also how would I apply for citizenship or a residence permit? I do have intentions to marry my boyfriend but not right now.

Thanks in advance and if I haven't been clear please let me know.
You can come to Finland as a tourist. You don't need a residence permit, but you need to register yourself with the police before you can get any official status. But the police will not register you if you cannot financially take care of yourself. So if you need hand-outs, you won't get them.

I don't think it is good for you to come to Finland. Even if you marry your boyfriend and solve the registration issue, you'll be living at the poverty line. That will be a big strain on the relation. Best to wait till he gets a job and he can support the two of you.



Re: From Netherlands to Finland.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

betelgeuse
Posts: 2799
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: From Netherlands to Finland.

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:53 am

klover2k wrote: Currently in Holland I have an allowance due to my inability to work because of a mental 'illness', moving to Finland would take this allowance away and means I will have no income. Living off my boyfriends income is basically impossible as he is doing university and doesn't make that much. Is there anything similar in Finland that could cover my inability to work?
Yes, there's pensions for those who are not able to work. You need to be covered by the Finnish social security system to get those (see later).
klover2k wrote: Also how would I apply for citizenship or a residence permit? I do have intentions to marry my boyfriend but not right now.
http://www.migri.fi/frontpage
https://www.poliisi.fi/licences_and_per ... _residence
rinso wrote: You can come to Finland as a tourist. You don't need a residence permit, but you need to register yourself with the police before you can get any official status. But the police will not register you if you cannot financially take care of yourself. So if you need hand-outs, you won't get them.
The rules to qualify for Kela are here:
http://www.kela.fi/web/en/moving-to-finland

However, the relevant act does not make reference to doing the EU Registration:

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1993/19931573

In practice the EU registration must be done, because if you don't satisfy those conditions, it's possible to deport you.
rinso wrote: I don't think it is good for you to come to Finland. Even if you marry your boyfriend and solve the registration issue, you'll be living at the poverty line. That will be a big strain on the relation. Best to wait till he gets a job and he can support the two of you.
If they marry or have cohabited for two years, there's no problem because the OP would qualify for Kela.


Post Reply