Coowee? Any Australian's out there?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Freckles

Post by Freckles » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:12 am

I've just gotten back from a year working in Tampere as an English Teacher. I wish I'd found this site earlier! It was much fun, but I accidently fell in love with a Finnish man, so now I'll be going back again!

But only after I get to have a lovely hot Summer here first! :D

Anyways, I was just wondering if there were any Australian's in Tampere or elsewhere, because I didn't meet one while I was there! Mind you, I did just hang out with Finn's and did stay away from the Irish pub there...

It would be nice to hear from you anyways, to share experiences of Suomi and Suomea! And it would make me feel better to know of others in a like situation for when I get back.

Thanks. :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Coowee? Any Australian's out there?

Post by Hank W. » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:11 am

Freckles wrote: I wish I'd found this site earlier!

Well, we were about as a crappy mailing list (as in operation, not content)and so forth so this site is somewhat new, but welcome to the group, and hopefully you'll find us enjoyable.
It was much fun, but I accidently fell in love with a Finnish man, so now I'll be going back again!
It was fun - fell in love - so it is not fun any more? :mrgreen:

The Oz population presumably is at present eating deep-fried lardballs in buttered bacon sauce to fortify themselves against the coming winter, after the summer was so damn cold. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

martinsloan

Post by martinsloan » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:29 pm

Hi Freckles,
I'm not from Australia, but I have just moved to Tampere. And while I do frequent O'Connells and I haven't met any Aussies there, but I have seen an Australian place caller the "Kangeroo" or maybe that was just a bad dream :D . I'll check it out and let you know on my next posting.
Luck, like a Russian car, generally only works if you push it.
MMS

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:38 am

so far I have run into two aussies... but that's in Helsinki.

lets see, one of them was in my Finnish course, the other worked at Dubliners... so if you're in Helsinki... I'm sure that there are more about

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:16 pm

Hi,

I'm an Aussie from Melbourne and was working in Lappeenranta for a couple of years (left in oct 2002), and plan to move back to Finland next year some time for either study or work. I met another Aussie living in Jyväskylä at a summer language course - that's was it in 2 years.

Oh actually, I think I inspired a friend to come over - he was granted the first Working Holiday Visa for Australians, but really just used it for travel because his plans changed. Perhaps expect to see more Aussies - that program started around September 2002. Information about it is on the Canberra embassy web page.

*Jargoa*

Post by *Jargoa* » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:44 pm

Hello,
I am from Australia, but I am living in Espoo. Any time you are around the area I would be very happy to meet up with you...
Karina
-We do not remember days... We remember moments- Cesare Pavese

Freckles

THANKYOU!

Post by Freckles » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:34 pm

Wow, thank you so much you guys, it was lovely to see that there are a few out there!

And Karina, I would love to visit you when I get back (which is looking like March next year).

And yeah Hank, it's fun, but not so much fun, being in love with someone so far away. :) But there are ways!

The Winter I spent there was exciting for me, I guess coz it was my first, and seeing that much snow was pretty awesome. I took Vitamin D tablets everyday which helped the "darkness blues" stay away. And they make their coats really warm... and now I have a lovely collection of beanies and mittens!!

The Kangaroo bar is kinda dodgy, and never actually stepped foot in there! Guess I'm a bit of a chicken. :? It's near the corner of Sotkankatu and Hameenpuisto, I think.

But anyways, with this site up and running and obviously quite popular(!) then I'm sure there'll be lots more chances to bump into fellow country-men. ;)

THANKS TO THE CREATORS!

tiinajk

Aussie in Helsinki/Espoo

Post by tiinajk » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:51 am

I'm a Queenslander and have been living in Helsinki/Espoo for a bit over 2 years. I have run into other Aussies here and keep in touch with some. We even had an ANZAC day drinks this year even though we had to invite the Kiwi's to make up numbers... <smile>

I've met most of the people I know though the Hash House Harriers & Harrietts as it's a mostly expat club with the sick sence of humor that most Australians have. (They call themselves a drinking club with a running problem.) I know that a chapter has been started in Tampere as well and Helsinki had 2 clubs. If anyone wants some info, please feel free to ask.

Tiina

Freckles

Re: Aussie in Helsinki/Espoo

Post by Freckles » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:46 pm

tiinajk wrote: I know that a chapter has been started in Tampere as well and Helsinki had 2 clubs. If anyone wants some info, please feel free to ask.

Tiina
Thanks Tiina. I would be interested in knowing about the Tampere situation, as I really don't know Helsinki very well, having only visited once!

But it's nice to know we're out there.

:D
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
ImageImage

casionova

Post by casionova » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:09 am

stubled across this site ... nice!!
i visited helsinki for a month two years ago, i know i need to live there. currently in melbourne and trying to figure out how to go about it . interested in teaching english (tho i dont have a tesol thingee yet). so if freckles or any other melbourne cats would care for a coffee or something or come along to one of my shows (a lot of finnish in it) i would dig immensely any advice.
i know of a few aussies who perform in finland , a friend is on finnish record label and a couple of bands go there along with a few variety acts. people i know of that have lived there seemed to have hated it. (dark, cold?), aussies tho don't seem to understand that strength doesn't necessarily equal a certain bravado and that !"#¤% doesn't need to be a basic cultural tenet. my 2c worth!
tim

mharila

Post by mharila » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:49 am

casionova wrote:people i know of that have lived there seemed to have hated it
A friend of mine, an Aussie, didn't like it too much here from time to time but when I met him in Sydney after he moved back to Oz, he actually missed Finland a lot. He appreciated afterwards many things that he could no longer take for granted. When I talked to him last time he was planning to move back to Finland later. 2 of his mates moved back to Oz from Finland and really shortly decided to get back here. I can understand why, we Finns are such lovely people! (Though I myself loved it in Australia.)

vampe

Post by vampe » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:15 am

I'm trying to move there this year , but I'm so worried about getting a job.
I'm looking into the TEFL which I'll be doing once I move back to Perth.
I'm also a free-lance photographer so I'm looking to do some work when I'm there.. but it'd be nice to have some familiar people around. :)

tiinajk

Post by tiinajk » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:23 am

Work is definately a tricky one. Check out the tips in the Jobs and Study board but be ready for a struggle. I'm lucky that I work in IT and was able to find work easy enough. Language is another BIG plus in finding work. Good luck and hope to hear from you when you make it here...

Tiina
Image Image

Freckles

Post by Freckles » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:08 am

Well I'm here living in Tampere and doing the TELF thing. I think it's a good idea, especially if you already have work experience in the business industry.

Look me up when you arrive, I'll be happy to help with anything you need to ask. :)

Or of course, ask more questions here if there's anything else you're worried about.

The weather is gorgeous now, it's a great time to arrive!! :D

Freckles.
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
ImageImage

vampe

Post by vampe » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:47 am

I loved Tampere when I was there.. we'll probably be living in Helsinki , but I think doing the TEFL will be one of the only ways I'll be able to get a job.