Worrying about police record for renewing visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Beep_Boop

Re: Worrying about police record for renewing visa

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:19 pm

The details of the case are of no concern to us or to the immigration officer renewing your residence permit.
What is important is outcome of this case. If the case goes far enough for you to be convicted of assault (pahoinpitely), then it would look really bad for the renewal of your RP.

Honestly, asking here is absolutely pointless and it has one of two effects: It will either give you a false sense of relief, or unnecessary stress. Each case is dealt with individually. What if you caused the poor girl some internal injury that was only later apparent? A törkeä pahoinpitely conviction is a guarantee that your RP will not be renewed. What if the girl is completely okay and you two solve it with the mediator and it all goes well?

Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm

bnnh wrote:They told me there would be investigator contacting me. One month later, now I get the appointment to go to the police station and ther will be interpreter there. I am quite worried if this case is a problem for me to renew student visa in future.
You should be getting legal aid immediately in any case. Have a lawyer present at the appointment. A serious conviction can start the deportation process immediately. This is if the crime can be punished with a sentence of at least a year.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 301#L9P149

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:56 pm

betelgeuse wrote: You should be getting legal aid immediately in any case. Have a lawyer present at the appointment.
I agree. In the Finnish legal system there is little room for "understanding the personal situation". In most cases the judge will follow the letter of the law, not a hypothetical projection on your situation. A lawyer could use valid legal arguments while you probably would use (irrelevant) emotional arguments.