Freight Companies to move to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB » Mon May 09, 2005 6:29 pm

I will be moving to Finland this fall with my Finnish husband and our new baby and wanted to know about companies that do freight services. We have two cars and a houseful of furniture that we want to bring over with us. Any suggestions on reputable companies for cars alone and container shipping.

Thanks,
Julia

Julia B

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 09, 2005 9:41 pm

Err... So where is it exactly you are moving from? :wink: Norway, UK, Germany, Spain, Italy, Estonia ~ USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, east, west... the freight companies information and rates differs a bit. As you can see:
bb/viewtopic.php?t=8480&highlight=freight
bb/viewtopic.php?t=7933&highlight=freight
bb/viewtopic.php?t=7111&highlight=freight
bb/viewtopic.php?t=4998&highlight=freight
bb/viewtopic.php?t=3494&highlight=freight

2 cars + household stuff will cost some for sure.

From EU & out of EU import rules of certain stuff is also a bit different. Have you been to the http://www.tulli.fi website? Are you expecting your tv and appliances to work here? Lots of other things than just to move stuff over - is it worth moving them over... (like no use bringing over an UK tv even if its PAL as it doesn't have sound... American 110v electronics...zzzttt...) Pets? Your hubby probably knows the car tax & road test thing so I won't delve into it.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

JuliaB

Post by JuliaB » Fri May 13, 2005 7:17 pm

Sorry,

We are moving from Boston Massachusetts to Turku. Sometime in the Fall.

I am looking for the names of freight companies.
Julia B

MPballet

Post by MPballet » Sun May 15, 2005 11:20 pm

I'll keep my eye on this forum as I am also moving from Boston, MA but I will go to Juuka. I begin searching for moving companies tomorrow(!) My move has to be fast....by June 15th!!!
One thing, I don't know if you should plan to ship any electric things as the voltage is different and those would be useless in Finland.
You're not crazy, you're going sane in a crazy world

Native

Post by Native » Mon May 16, 2005 2:54 am

From Boston to Juuka? That´s a leap... Not a bad choice though, very beatiful scenery, lake Pielinen and you´re moving there in summertime so you get to enjoy it at it´s best. But you´ve probably been there already so you know. Are you a Finn returning or American citizen? Not really relevant to the topic this message, just curious... :)

craiced

Post by craiced » Mon May 16, 2005 8:52 am

It depends on the electrical item. Check the voltage on the back to see what the accepted range is. Most basic items will accpet 110-240.

As for computers: Laptops are fine, desktop however are another thing. Look at the back of the desktop where the power lead goes in to see if there is a switch to change the accepted volatage. If not it is pretty easy to get a new power supply that will accept the higher voltage. Monitors usually aren't easy to change so better to buy a new one here.

Hope that helped a little
Oh, God, God, God! What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it.

MPballet

Post by MPballet » Mon May 16, 2005 3:23 pm

Native wrote:From Boston to Juuka? That´s a leap... Not a bad choice though, very beatiful scenery, lake Pielinen and you´re moving there in summertime so you get to enjoy it at it´s best. But you´ve probably been there already so you know. Are you a Finn returning or American citizen? Not really relevant to the topic this message, just curious... :)
I'm a US citizen moving with my Finnish husband. I've been there before so I do know.
I just remembered that I will bring my hair dryer because it is designed for US and European.
You're not crazy, you're going sane in a crazy world