visa and work permits-help

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
El Exiliado

Post by El Exiliado » Wed May 11, 2005 12:25 am

Hi there!

I have been reading all the requirements for applying a Visa to go to Finland, trying to see what exactly do I need according to my situation. The Embassy webpage of Finland in my country (Argentina) is quite clear in which things are needed for each case, but actually the problem is that I can not say exactly which is my case…

My situation is that I have a invitation letter to participate in a research project in the University of Helsinki (I’m a biologist), founded by the Academy of Finland. It says that includes founding for myself for four month (including travel and accommodation). Everything very nice actually.

But I have not clear two things, if I will be really “working” there, with a contract and all, in which case I will need a working permit and a confirmation from the Ministry of Work form Finland. Or if it is more like a scholarship or a grant, in which case I only have to present the letter.

I also ask because I had almost the same situation with an invitation to Austria, and in that just simply went to the Embassy and ask what did I need. But when I get Austria I had a big mess because they told me that I was needing a different visa. So now I want to be sure of what kind of visa and permit do I need.

Well I hope someone can give me some advice in this. I search in the forum first but seems that most of you are EU citizens or form other countries that don’t need so much things, or were going to work in a company in a clear situation.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Alfredo

PD: sorry for the length :oops:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 11, 2005 12:31 am

If the academy pays, just ask for a residence permit for the 4 months. Not visa - visa is to come in, permit is to stay here.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

El Exiliado

Post by El Exiliado » Wed May 11, 2005 7:41 pm

Ha!
I think I was a little confused...

If I don't need the work permit then that's are very good news... it much more easy and cheaper also.

Thanks a lot Hank!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 11, 2005 8:41 pm

Not so fast. See the residence permit includes the work permit. So basically you may need to get an "employment authorization" before you are granted a worker's residence permit. I was just pointing out that a visa and a permit are 2 totally different things. I don't think a research is a "job" Basically you do not personally apply for a work permit; but your employer does - then if they get the euthorization to employ you - then you apply for a residence permit.

However a researcher at the university is generally treated "easier" than someone just applying for a job.

Confusing, eh?

An alien has a limited right to work in Finland if he or she

-has been granted a residence permit for various teaching, lecturing and research assignments (allowing work within certain limits for a maximum of one year);

So I think this is what you are after.

The best place is to call the embassy and ask what all papers they want.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Thu May 12, 2005 10:18 am

I should imagine your university in Finland is familiar with the procedures, they will be dealing with it all the time. Ask 'em!

El Exiliado

Post by El Exiliado » Fri May 13, 2005 5:41 pm

Kiitos Hank and Dusty_bin!!

I already ask my future.. boss.. or director, if she knows how exactly will be my situation. And I will also call the Embassy... as probably I should have done first.
The things is that some years ago I went in a similar situation to Austria, and I went to the Embassy with my invitation letter and said "what do I need?" and did what they ask me to, and ones in Austria I had problems because they gave me the wrong permit... and my boss... lets say she didn't knew anything...

so now I just prefer to ask and read until I am completely sure...

thanks a lot! if everything goes right I will be travelling in September!
:D

El Exiliado

I got it!

Post by El Exiliado » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:59 pm

Yeah!

Finally I obtained all the necessary papers and went to the Embassy Surprisinglly in less than 15 days I recieve an affirmative answer. So now I have the residence permission!

in a month and a half I'll be there! :D

wolomax

Re: visa and work permits-help

Post by wolomax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:29 am

Hola Alfredo

Mi nombre es Ruben Wolochin
Si queres comunicarte conmigo este es mi mail. [email protected]

Te cuento que yo estare llegando a Finland los ultimos dias del mes de julio para trabajar alli.
Si te puedo ayudar con alguna consulta con gusto lo hare

Un saludo

Ruben