American moving to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Oho
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by Oho » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:23 pm

adnan wrote: As you can see, that's the mark of an intelligent answer by an intelligent person.
Never made such an assertion, never even implied as much rather the opposite.

Funny that, telling what Americans are like did not touch a nerve at all, wonder why is that.

Re: American moving to Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:06 pm

Oho wrote:Funny that, telling what Americans are like did not touch a nerve at all, wonder why is that.
Another mark of an intelligent person; fending off criticism as "nevers touched". Complete inability to look at criticism objectively, while assuming that everybody is as overtly biased in their ideas and argument as you know you are.
Do you have any answer/comment that is not from this list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
Every f*cking application is unique.You can't measure the result of your application based on random anecdotes online. Stop being a moron!


Oho
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by Oho » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:26 pm

adnan wrote:
Oho wrote:Funny that, telling what Americans are like did not touch a nerve at all, wonder why is that.
Another mark of an intelligent person; fending off criticism as "nevers touched". Complete inability to look at criticism objectively, while assuming that everybody is as overtly biased in their ideas and argument as you know you are.
Do you have any answer/comment that is not from this list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
Get off your high horse.... Hell looking at criticism objectively, is a f****** oxymoron. When ever someone draws the objectivity card I pretty much know all touch with reality has been lost, at least I know I am biased unlike you from your condescending ivory tower. Like I said I have never ever made any claims of intelligence rather the opposite, perhaps you should too.


tikidoc2
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:54 am

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by tikidoc2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:15 am

Hey Nightstorm,
A fellow WHITE AMERICAN here. Fist, You must assume that Suomi is a culture in conflict with it's self. There is little homogenous thought. Finns are quiet, will only tell you what they think after they are drunk. I am a professional by education. I have attended Finnish language school. You will be disliked as well as envied for being American. Some people will even castigate you for saying American. They believe that Canadians and all Mexican, Central and South Americans are Americans as well. Finland is also a country of Nos. You will have to accept no as an answer very often. Finland is trying to be politically correct, but silently they are xenophobic and very racist. I have been here 3 years in a small village in Pohjamaa. I know if anyone is reading this post, I have probably already offended some of them, both immigrants and Suomi. I have a Finn for a wife and 2 children, ages 9 and 7. It has been very difficult here for me. My daughter has adapted OK and has many friends. My son ,however was bullied for the first 2 years. Now, he is a bad ass, who thinks that he needs to kick someone's ass everyday. Very sad for me to see. Finland is a small place, it ain't Texas. I happen to be very fond of SW Texas. I go there often.
If you move to Finland, you will be given a list of things to do. You will receive no special privilege for being an America. You must also remember that hatred is some form of admiration.If you love your wife, you will need to keep her happy. They say here"Happy Wife, Happy Life' They also believe that most men are weak and that the women should be the pomo. All in all, I say, you met in Texas, stay in Texas. Stop watching the news. Most of what you hear about Finland is BS. America is Paras.
I hope you consider what I have said. Depression at -25 is a terrible thing!!


Flossy1978
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by Flossy1978 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:33 pm

On the otherhand, I am Australian and was adored the 14 years I lived there in Finland. Never a negative thing against me.

Americans give themselves a bad name because they are loud, like to brag and expect stuff which isn't the same in the Finnish culture or other cultures. Finns despise braggers and loud people.

If you live in a small community it is going to be harder.

If you are a young adult in the schooling system, you will find it much easier to make friends and have a life. You won't as an older adult.

I disagree with the comment of Finns not telling stuff unless they're. I found they often had no brain to mouth filter. They spoke openly without realising sometimes their comments actually hurt a person. Boithis down to them being rather honest and not realising it's a good idea to open your mouth and speam without thinking sometimes.

Yes, there are some racist people. But hey, there's no Klu Klux Klan in Finland. And so you might want to think how bad can it be if the country you are coming from still has a lynching mob of bogan trash white people wearing stupid white pillow cases over their heads, chanting racist propaganda exists. Or the nonstop shooting of black people by white police officers.

Yes there is xenophobia. Naturally in a country which has remained untouched by multiculturalism to a large degree is now being forced against their wishes to allow the huge changes which comes with opening their borders, one can expect quite a lot of xenophobia. People don't uderstand what they don't know. People in general don't like change.

Finns keep to themselves pretty much. Come to Finland and make the most of all the GOOD and POSITIVE things you can get out of it.


Ninja
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:01 am

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by Ninja » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm American, but sadly not white :'''(

I know what you mean by American, and we know what we mean...but to Finns everything that seems to introduce or announce something about yourself comes off like bragging, as in America we call this just socializing and offering information about yourself.

Finland is a culture mostly of straight-forward facts, and answers. They don't really do the whole "getting-to-know-you" thing here, therefore they don't really care about anything else other than what your specific question is, or what is relevant to the situation or topic at hand...this of course comes off very arrogant and closed-off on their part, but that's just how they are. But of course we're called the egotistical loud-mouths because we breathe loudly and utter more than a few sentences with *gasp* something that can be taken as "positive" about yourself.

As you come to live in Finland, and as you sit on the insane-asylum quiet bus, that seems straight out of a horror movie as everyone stares out the window with a blank glaze on their faces with the deafening sound of silence, only broken by the opening and closing of the bus doors and engine. I mean you could close your eyes witha bus full of people and you would think you are alone...and then you'll contemplate why you chose to live in this society, and who's really the "weird" one here.

First thing as Americans is we underestimate how different things work here...while the "hustle" is still a good thing, things move slowly here, and instead of selling yourself and networking, you just patiently wait your turn. It's also a homogeneous society...therefore being "Finn" is the best option, and because you have the added benefit of speaking Finnish. It's kind of like those irrelevant countries in soccer matches, that the only people that really root for those teams are the people from the country, even though nobody knows who they are and what they've done in the world, to themselves they're still special..it's a very bound-by-blood type of social structure out in these European parts, where as in America we just look for the best damn person for the job.

In Finland it more comes down to those basic "facts" again, so basically what you know, what you went to school for, because in all honesty they probably don't care much about you personality wise because they don't likely plan on talking very much to you anyway, if anything they dread the time they'll have to speak English to your happy-go-lucky @ss with all your personally invasive questions, as even Finns that known each other for 40 years still don't know each others favorite color.

Therefore think of Finland more like a land of "Spocks" from StarTrek, very literal, sarcastic and fairly intelligent...however emotional and social unintelligent, as they don't really flex those muscles out here very often. And if they are emotional, they're like hippy-like, save-the-world types and then they trust any criminal or psychopath out there because they think all people are inherently good.

Finding a job is highly unlikely because of the language barrier, therefore as well as happiness, especially anywhere outside the "big cities". If you live in some village out in the woods consider yourself dead...expect your life to consist of awkward grocery store visits, no friends, and being home with your wife day in and day out for long stretches of time, and I don't care how good that pussy is, the pussy gets old if you eat it every day. And then you will miss your friends and family in your little wooden abode, until it's likely sitting in jail cell like a pie festering in the sun, and you contemplate why you ever came here.

The pay is alright, but the taxes are high. You likely won't have your own car, but maybe. You won't have anywhere to go if you do though, as Finland is just mostly forest. The social system is great, but a bit tedious and confusing that not even the Finns themselves understand it very much.

If you go to the bigger cities, people MIGHT be more social, but just a little bit, and you'll likely have to make friends with other expats and the like. Finns make their main group of friends at the age of 5, and have sex and socialize in their highschool and university years...and then it's all down hill from there. But that's their lives in a nut shell, don't come to Finland looking for excitement...unless you consider drunk middle-aged men peeing in the park in Summer "entertainment". However, they do have lots of attractive women, but you are married so scratch that...it's not like you could talk to them anyway...a traveling Finn is much different than a Finn in Finland.

Look, all in all it's a good country, beautiful nature, people aren't assholes like they are on here, on the contrary quite the contrary when you do get to know them...but they are sarcastic and brain goes straight to mouth, there's no formalities or social etiquette really...you could meet a group of people and be ignored or be chatted up, and if you are being chatted up they are 90 percent of the time drunk, but mostly likely you'll not be paid all that much attention to.

The system is overall good, lots of benefits, but it's for a basic life, nothing flashy which is good if you are a bum that wants to chill out...I'm sorry, "relaxed". But they're taking in a bunch of middle eastern young male refugees who heard the clinking of gold and so called riches of Europe...I'm sorry "people fleeing war", I mean it's so scary and dangerous there in their country, they decided to leave all the women behind, you know a place is dangerous when you've got to leave all the girls back at home to be raped and enslaved by whomever.

But I digress, and won't mention the fact that they came to look at white women walking down the street like a dog looks at a juicy steak. The point is, who knows how "safe" Finland will be in the long-run, which is one of perks of being here, for some reason they want to flush that down the toilet.

Future is questionable here, not the strongest economy (but still a well-managed country), not the friendliest place to live, and not the funnest either, in fact you'll probably do better if you're kind of an £$€¤%& like me...but it's safe, feels like you live in the forest, and you can keep to yourself (like isolated) without nobody bothering you about your personal business, which is a nice change, and a good place to raise kids.

If that sounds about right for you, then come on down! but realize, it's going to be tough if you don't really put in effort when you get here, and really intensely study the language, and unless you're around a group of people to interact with, then you might find yourself living in a very lonely world.

But hey, isn't that all humans are allowed to make little babies?


Upphew
Posts: 9910
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by Upphew » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Ninja wrote:I'm American, but sadly not white :'''(

I know what you mean by American, and we know what we mean...but to Finns everything that seems to introduce or announce something about yourself comes off like bragging, as in America we call this just socializing and offering information about yourself.

Finland is a culture mostly of straight-forward facts, and answers. They don't really do the whole "getting-to-know-you" thing here, therefore they don't really care about anything else other than what your specific question is, or what is relevant to the situation or topic at hand...this of course comes off very arrogant and closed-off on their part, but that's just how they are. But of course we're called the egotistical loud-mouths because we breathe loudly and utter more than a few sentences with *gasp* something that can be taken as "positive" about yourself.

As you come to live in Finland, and as you sit on the insane-asylum quiet bus, that seems straight out of a horror movie as everyone stares out the window with a blank glaze on their faces with the deafening sound of silence, only broken by the opening and closing of the bus doors and engine. I mean you could close your eyes witha bus full of people and you would think you are alone...and then you'll contemplate why you chose to live in this society, and who's really the "weird" one here.

First thing as Americans is we underestimate how different things work here...while the "hustle" is still a good thing, things move slowly here, and instead of selling yourself and networking, you just patiently wait your turn. It's also a homogeneous society...therefore being "Finn" is the best option, and because you have the added benefit of speaking Finnish. It's kind of like those irrelevant countries in soccer matches, that the only people that really root for those teams are the people from the country, even though nobody knows who they are and what they've done in the world, to themselves they're still special..it's a very bound-by-blood type of social structure out in these European parts, where as in America we just look for the best damn person for the job.

In Finland it more comes down to those basic "facts" again, so basically what you know, what you went to school for, because in all honesty they probably don't care much about you personality wise because they don't likely plan on talking very much to you anyway, if anything they dread the time they'll have to speak English to your happy-go-lucky @ss with all your personally invasive questions, as even Finns that known each other for 40 years still don't know each others favorite color.

Therefore think of Finland more like a land of "Spocks" from StarTrek, very literal, sarcastic and fairly intelligent...however emotional and social unintelligent, as they don't really flex those muscles out here very often. And if they are emotional, they're like hippy-like, save-the-world types and then they trust any criminal or psychopath out there because they think all people are inherently good.

Finding a job is highly unlikely because of the language barrier, therefore as well as happiness, especially anywhere outside the "big cities". If you live in some village out in the woods consider yourself dead...expect your life to consist of awkward grocery store visits, no friends, and being home with your wife day in and day out for long stretches of time, and I don't care how good that pussy is, the pussy gets old if you eat it every day. And then you will miss your friends and family in your little wooden abode, until it's likely sitting in jail cell like a pie festering in the sun, and you contemplate why you ever came here.

The pay is alright, but the taxes are high. You likely won't have your own car, but maybe. You won't have anywhere to go if you do though, as Finland is just mostly forest. The social system is great, but a bit tedious and confusing that not even the Finns themselves understand it very much.

If you go to the bigger cities, people MIGHT be more social, but just a little bit, and you'll likely have to make friends with other expats and the like. Finns make their main group of friends at the age of 5, and have sex and socialize in their highschool and university years...and then it's all down hill from there. But that's their lives in a nut shell, don't come to Finland looking for excitement...unless you consider drunk middle-aged men peeing in the park in Summer "entertainment". However, they do have lots of attractive women, but you are married so scratch that...it's not like you could talk to them anyway...a traveling Finn is much different than a Finn in Finland.

Look, all in all it's a good country, beautiful nature, people aren't assholes like they are on here, on the contrary quite the contrary when you do get to know them...but they are sarcastic and brain goes straight to mouth, there's no formalities or social etiquette really...you could meet a group of people and be ignored or be chatted up, and if you are being chatted up they are 90 percent of the time drunk, but mostly likely you'll not be paid all that much attention to.

The system is overall good, lots of benefits, but it's for a basic life, nothing flashy which is good if you are a bum that wants to chill out...I'm sorry, "relaxed". But they're taking in a bunch of middle eastern young male refugees who heard the clinking of gold and so called riches of Europe...I'm sorry "people fleeing war", I mean it's so scary and dangerous there in their country, they decided to leave all the women behind, you know a place is dangerous when you've got to leave all the girls back at home to be raped and enslaved by whomever.

But I digress, and won't mention the fact that they came to look at white women walking down the street like a dog looks at a juicy steak. The point is, who knows how "safe" Finland will be in the long-run, which is one of perks of being here, for some reason they want to flush that down the toilet.

Future is questionable here, not the strongest economy (but still a well-managed country), not the friendliest place to live, and not the funnest either, in fact you'll probably do better if you're kind of an £$€¤%& like me...but it's safe, feels like you live in the forest, and you can keep to yourself (like isolated) without nobody bothering you about your personal business, which is a nice change, and a good place to raise kids.

If that sounds about right for you, then come on down! but realize, it's going to be tough if you don't really put in effort when you get here, and really intensely study the language, and unless you're around a group of people to interact with, then you might find yourself living in a very lonely world.

But hey, isn't that all humans are allowed to make little babies?
A tad over dramatized, as you can expect from a yank, but quite fitting description imo.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


leisl
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by leisl » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Ninja wrote:really long post
Nailed it.

A Finn could never have explained this.

But it's 100% right. Especially the bit about not knowing someone's favourite colour. There's a friend I speak to every day. And I still don't know which suburb he lives in.


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:44 pm

Oombongo wrote:Overall, moving to Finland is a bad, bad and bad idea in you cases. As poster above me mentioned that coding jobs are mostly outsourced. If you are an expert in computer security or got skillz of architect level then it might work in international companies. Other options require fluent Finnish as the documentation will be in finnish, and customer will be in "puhumme suomea" mode. Then living in nowheremäki with less prospects of job will be fairly depressing. On top of that your wife's circle will be asking question like "whatcha he doin?". Sooner or later, she will give up to social pressure, and who will be the target of her frustration or rage? Yep, you got it right. Things will go to nasty end with divorce and infidelity as bonus.
Well, it is a 50/60 decision. Granted, there are no jobs and the Uni's ate starting to charge fees for non-EU students, but honkie-boy here said the "plan" was to study software engineering. Now there are still polytechnics around old bubba can get into and still score "free" education and walk out with degree papers. Then after that the world being an oyster, finding a job isn't restricted to good old Noweremäki-Ingebacksbäcken. Then he can apply for asylum as Trumpistan regards him a foreign-trained intellectual that can't return to the USA due to being taught to read and write while abroad... Or something.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:30 pm

Ninja wrote: wrote:Therefore think of Finland more like a land of "Spocks" from StarTrek, very literal, sarcastic and fairly intelligent...however emotional and social unintelligent, as they don't really flex those muscles out here very often. And if they are emotional, they're like hippy-like, save-the-world types and then they trust any criminal or psychopath out there because they think all people are inherently good.
It is life, Jim, but not as we know it... :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


timpal
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: American moving to Finland

Post by timpal » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:17 am

Tikidoc2 and Ninja really nailed it. Finns and other Eurosnobs often claim that all people and countries of the Western Hemisphere are American, or Americans. I tried to pull that one off on my Canadian cousins, and they were offended. Rightfully so. These Finnish people have a peculiar obsession with "Suomikuva" or how the world perceives them. Well, we have news for them! No one gives a !"#¤%! Also, the anti-Americanism is so naïve, that it seems to be a pre-requisite to being Finnish, whether or not one is Vasemmistoliitto or Kokoomus. It's totally irrelevant. Certainly, the rest of the world dislikes USA for its policies and shallow pop culture, but no one comes as close to these people in Finland in their hypocrisy. US films and TV programmes permeate the television, and "sips" and Cokis are as Finnish as milk and ruis bread. How do you guys deal with it?


Post Reply