Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
dbrit
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:50 am

Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by dbrit » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Hello,

I will soon be applying for my residence (as an EU citizen) via the 'family ties' process with the Police. Me and my girlfriend have lived together for 6 years in the UK.

1. What exactly do I need to produce in order to prove that we have lived together during this time?
2. We are currently travelling in Asia, will this approx 6 month 'gap' in us living together be a problem?

Cheers!



Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

betelgeuse
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:35 pm

dbrit wrote: I will soon be applying for my residence (as an EU citizen) via the 'family ties' process with the Police. Me and my girlfriend have lived together for 6 years in the UK.

1. What exactly do I need to produce in order to prove that we have lived together during this time?
If you both have funds to support yourselves separately, you need nothing. Otherwise any official or quasi official (looking at gas bills here) documents that tie you to the same address. I don't know what kind of documents are available in the UK.
dbrit wrote: 2. We are currently travelling in Asia, will this approx 6 month 'gap' in us living together be a problem?
Aren't you living together in Asia? There would be no gap.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 01#L10P154


leisl
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by leisl » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:13 am

A lease agreement, if it's in both names. A joint bank statement with both names and the address. Even if the letters and utilities are only in one name or the other, the fact that you can both produce mail to the same address within the same time frame will be enough.

It's from the UK, Finland is not going to assume you're a dirty immigrant trying to scam your way into the promised land.


dbrit
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:50 am

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by dbrit » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:15 am

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure we'll be able to dig out some bills, payslips, etc. I think both of our names were on the tenancy agreement actually, so I'll have that also.

We are travelling Asia, so we've never in once place for more than approx a week. Not sure how I would evidence this.


Rip
Posts: 5583
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by Rip » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:41 am

I doubt they want see more than the passport stamps, as you had the two years and more before that already.


Ninja
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:01 am

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by Ninja » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:35 am

I really wouldn't worry about it if i were you, if you were together for 6 years they're not going to likely do a lot of digging to figure out it's legit, that's a long history.

Whatever you do, don't get married in order to make sure you qualify for family ties, you'll never know if you're going to like it here after the six months honeymoon period (not sure how long you've spent out here)

They'll tell you what you need to show as proof, but you might not even be asked a single question about it, it could be that easy.

Plus, they're giving full citizenship to "refugees" without any background information whatsoever :)


leisl
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by leisl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 am

Ninja wrote:Plus, they're giving full citizenship to "refugees" without any background information whatsoever :)
Source?

These kind of statements belong on FOX news.

The only refugees I've heard of getting citizenship are those who are born stateless in Finland or fulfill the normal rules to gain it the conventional way by naturalization.


betelgeuse
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:06 pm

roger_roger wrote:
leisl wrote:A joint bank statement with both names and the address
Argh... joint account with your girlfriend, do people really have these at this era?, its so 70/80/90s :mrgreen:
We do and it makes things a lot easier. Having a joint account does not prevent from also having personal accounts.


Rip
Posts: 5583
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by Rip » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:38 pm

leisl wrote:
Ninja wrote:Plus, they're giving full citizenship to "refugees" without any background information whatsoever :)
Source?

These kind of statements belong on FOX news.

The only refugees I've heard of getting citizenship are those who are born stateless in Finland or fulfill the normal rules to gain it the conventional way by naturalization.
The two claims are not mutually exclusive. The refugees (with or without quotes) will get citizenship after fulfilling the normal (remarkably loose) conditions for naturalization after a few years without any need of their original identities to have ever been established.


leisl
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by leisl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:34 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
roger_roger wrote:
leisl wrote:A joint bank statement with both names and the address
Argh... joint account with your girlfriend, do people really have these at this era?, its so 70/80/90s :mrgreen:
We do and it makes things a lot easier. Having a joint account does not prevent from also having personal accounts.
We do also. Perhaps Finland is a little different from some western countries. In a marriage your money is not automatically shared. It is quite customary to have your own accounts and then a shared one for shared bills. Such as the mortgage or rent, and paying utilities. Many married people in Finland retain their own investments too and they don't belong to their partner at all and never will.


leisl
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by leisl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Rip wrote:
leisl wrote:
Ninja wrote:Plus, they're giving full citizenship to "refugees" without any background information whatsoever :)
Source?

These kind of statements belong on FOX news.

The only refugees I've heard of getting citizenship are those who are born stateless in Finland or fulfill the normal rules to gain it the conventional way by naturalization.
The two claims are not mutually exclusive. The refugees (with or without quotes) will get citizenship after fulfilling the normal (remarkably loose) conditions for naturalization after a few years without any need of their original identities to have ever been established.
Sure but I gather from the context it was akin to "stand in line, collect one citizenship, next please". That is not how it goes.


User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Rip wrote:The refugees (with or without quotes) will get citizenship after fulfilling the normal (remarkably loose) conditions for naturalization after a few years without any need of their original identities to have ever been established.
Not quite accurate. http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 30359#L1P6
Every f*cking application is unique.You can't measure the result of your application based on random anecdotes online. Stop being a moron!


Rip
Posts: 5583
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by Rip » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
Rip wrote:The refugees (with or without quotes) will get citizenship after fulfilling the normal (remarkably loose) conditions for naturalization after a few years without any need of their original identities to have ever been established.
Not quite accurate. http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 30359#L1P6
The fact that those that neither have documentation and are even known to have lied (because they have used multiple identities and got busted) have to wait bit longer for naturalization in no way contradicts what I said.


betelgeuse
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Rip wrote:
Beep_Boop wrote:
Rip wrote:The refugees (with or without quotes) will get citizenship after fulfilling the normal (remarkably loose) conditions for naturalization after a few years without any need of their original identities to have ever been established.
Not quite accurate. http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 30359#L1P6
The fact that those that neither have documentation and are even known to have lied (because they have used multiple identities and got busted) have to wait bit longer for naturalization in no way contradicts what I said.
I would consider ten years longer than a few years. However, I do agree that the rules are quire relaxed.


User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: Family Ties - Info needed re 2yr living requirement

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Rip wrote:in no way contradicts what I said.
I'm in this stage where I'm tired of repeating my stance on these issues. Clearly, we're on the same side of the argument regarding the idiotic approach to immigration laws. However, that doesn't mean we just ignore inaccuracies.

"A few years" < "10 years", unless you believe JavaScript
Image
Every f*cking application is unique.You can't measure the result of your application based on random anecdotes online. Stop being a moron!


Post Reply