Do I qualify for a Finnish Citizenship???

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:57 am

Hello,

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to find an answer to what I was hoping would be a simple question. Can anyone please help?

I'm wondering if I qualify to get my finnish citizenship.

Both my parents were born and raised in Finland. Ancestry is 100% finnish ethnicity.

Both moved to Canada. Married here. Had me. I'm 41 now and a Canadian citizen only. Mina en puhun soumi.

My father still has his Finnish citizenship as well.

Am I able to apply for a finnish citizenship? or only a residency? I know I can apply for a residency but that's not really what I want. I just want a full citizenship without all the extra work of going through a residency.

Please let me know what you think? Thank you.

:wink:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Do I qualify for a Finnish Citizenship???

Post by Rip » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:07 am

Had both of your parents obtained Canadian (or some third country) citizenship before you were born? If your mother was Finnish citizen when you were born, you'd been born as a Finnish citizen. Likewise, if your parents were married and your father was a citizen.

If you were a Finnish citizen at birth, you'd be now a "former Finnish citizen" . The procedure to reclaim citizenship is explained on Migri pages.

If both of your parents had lost their Finnish citizenship before your birth (obtained a another one) then you're out of luck. There is no actual shortcut to thoise that have never been citizens based on ancestry alone for adults.

(Didn't we have this thread before?)

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Rip wrote:(Didn't we have this thread before?)
Same topic, same guy, same questio, same answers.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89356

I think he's just in denial. He wants to hear "yes" so he can feel better. If he really wanred to do something about it, he'd have been 3 years away from citizenship today.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:39 am

well I finnish lawyer told me I could get it. When my parents moved to canada at that time it was back in the 60's and they were forced to revolk there Finnish citizenships to become canadians. Well I know for certain my father had to, not certain about my mother, but I don't see how she would stay in the country for her whole life without ending up as a canadian.

As for my father he recently got his finnish citizenship reinstated. So he's a finnish citizen now. So if I apply, apply on the basis of being a "former finnish citizen"? I wonder if they go for that? That might be a long shot as when I was born I don't think either of my parents where still finnish citizens. I'm only finnish by ethnethticity. But really when you think about it, that should qualify me. Like I'm not some 5th generation removed situation. This is very obvious situation where both parents and there lines go back all the way forever, move here, marry and have me. Well, ethnically I'm 100% finnish. I think that give me some consideration. If not I know I can apply for a residency, it's just that I don't really want that as much. I'll take it if I have to but, it's not my first choice as that is just a whole pile of work. 4 years in country, learn the laungage, so many hoops to become an eu citizen. That's dumb. I suppose if I went that route though I could spend the summers in Finnland then go down to greece or spain for the winter. That's sort of my plan.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:02 am

niceguy40 wrote:well I finnish lawyer told me I could get it.
Your Finnish lawyer is happy to walk you through a long process at the end of which you will still not get citizenship. Your lawyer knows that and is happy to take your money!
niceguy40 wrote:So if I apply, apply on the basis of being a "former finnish citizen"?
But you are NOT a former Finnish citizen - you never had the citizenship in the first place!
niceguy40 wrote:This is very obvious situation where both parents and there lines go back all the way forever, move here, marry and have me.
Yes it is obvious, your parents gave up their citizenship to become Canadians. You were born in Canada to now Canadian parents. You are Canadian. You are not a Finnish citizen.
niceguy40 wrote:I'm only finnish by ethnethticity. But really when you think about it, that should qualify me
The Finnish law disagrees with you. The Finnish law tends to win these arguments.
niceguy40 wrote:If not I know I can apply for a residency, it's just that I don't really want that as much. I'll take it if I have to but, it's not my first choice as that is just a whole pile of work. 4 years in country, learn the laungage, so many hoops to become an eu citizen. That's dumb.
So you want to get the citizenship and come to Finland without speaking the language? You think that will be easy? You think you will be welcomed here with open arms?
niceguy40 wrote:I suppose if I went that route though I could spend the summers in Finnland then go down to greece or spain for the winter. That's sort of my plan.
So you then take the residence permit (for which you have a good chance) and do what exactly for work to finance your stay??

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:54 am

Then why are you arguing with random people over the internet instead of trusting a lawyer who should be better aware of the circumstances?
niceguy40 wrote: If not I know I can apply for a residency, it's just that I don't really want that as much. I'll take it if I have to but, it's not my first choice as that is just a whole pile of work. 4 years in country, learn the laungage, so many hoops to become an eu citizen. That's dumb. I suppose if I went that route though I could spend the summers in Finnland then go down to greece or spain for the winter. That's sort of my plan.
For living in other countries, there's no extra benefit from the Finnish residence permit. The same 90 days in 180 days rule still applies:

http://www.migri.fi/studying_in_finland ... nce_permit

It seems Malta's Citizenship by Investment is better suited for you:

http://www.ccmalta.com/publications/mal ... investment

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Well, if he agrees to a deal that you pay for his services only in the case of positive result, go for it. Otherwise, think twice.

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:16 pm

wolf80 wrote:
Your Finnish lawyer is happy to walk you through a long process at the end of which you will still not get citizenship. Your lawyer knows that and is happy to take your money!
niceguy40 wrote:So if I apply, apply on the basis of being a "former finnish citizen"?
But you are NOT a former Finnish citizen - you never had the citizenship in the first place!
niceguy40 wrote:This is very obvious situation where both parents and there lines go back all the way forever, move here, marry and have me.
Yes it is obvious, your parents gave up their citizenship to become Canadians. You were born in Canada to now Canadian parents. You are Canadian. You are not a Finnish citizen.
niceguy40 wrote:I'm only finnish by ethnethticity. But really when you think about it, that should qualify me
The Finnish law disagrees with you. The Finnish law tends to win these arguments.
niceguy40 wrote:If not I know I can apply for a residency, it's just that I don't really want that as much. I'll take it if I have to but, it's not my first choice as that is just a whole pile of work. 4 years in country, learn the laungage, so many hoops to become an eu citizen. That's dumb.
So you want to get the citizenship and come to Finland without speaking the language? You think that will be easy? You think you will be welcomed here with open arms?
niceguy40 wrote:I suppose if I went that route though I could spend the summers in Finnland then go down to greece or spain for the winter. That's sort of my plan.
So you then take the residence permit (for which you have a good chance) and do what exactly for work to finance your stay??
you are a very negative and pessimistic person.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:39 pm

niceguy40 wrote:you are a very negative and pessimistic person.
What you call negative is actually a dose of realism that you desperately need. You seem to live in a dream world with all these ideas on what you should get and what you have a right to get, completely ignoring the reality of the Finnish law.

Apart from that, you don't seem to be interested in really contributing to Finnish society much anyway, you only want the citizenship so you are able to stay in Europe, there are other ways for that.

Chaapa

Post by Chaapa » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:20 am

I don't know why you are mucking around here on this forum and talking to lawyers. If you are seriously considering applying for Finnish citizenship you would contact the embassy in Ottawa. You ARE Canadian, right? Finnish law has changed over the years and they will have all the answers that pertain to your particular situation. But since you've been around the forum for awhile you should know this.