Applying for a residence permit after entering Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Adokas

Post by Adokas » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Cheers all, I'm currently first year Business Information Technology student at Laurea University of Applied Sciences, and my current residence permit expires on 1st of August 2016. Due to personal issues I'm going to be in my country from 5th of May 'till end of August. I was planning to extend my residence permit before I leave Finland but the earliest appointment date I can get from Espoo Police Station is 6th of June. So it's not possible for me to do that. I've contacted with Finnish embassy in my country about this situation, but they told me I can only get an extended resident permit in Finland.

My question is;

Even tho I'm not from EU, I don't need visa to enter Finland( I can stay in Finland up to 90 days without visa). Is it possible for me to comeback here at the end of August (after my residence permit expires) and then apply for an extension for my expired residence permit? If not, what would you suggest me?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Applying for a residence permit after entering Finland

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Adokas wrote:Is it possible for me to comeback here at the end of August (after my residence permit expires) and then apply for an extension for my expired residence permit? If not, what would you suggest me?
No, you can't. Extension happens if you apply while your RP is valid. If it's not valid, then you apply again like it's your first time.
Adokas wrote:If not, what would you suggest me?
You can apply normally while you're in Finland. Your application will be consiered as a first-time application.
Read the section "Applying for the permit in Finland" http://www.migri.fi/studying_in_finland ... pplication

Oh, and next time try Google and relevant Finnish website (poliisi, migri, etc.). They have official information. Also, it's a huge plus to learn to be less lazy. As you can see, my answers are taken directly from the website.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Adokas wrote: I was planning to extend my residence permit before I leave Finland but the earliest appointment date I can get from Espoo Police Station is 6th of June. So it's not possible for me to do that. I've contacted with Finnish embassy in my country about this situation, but they told me I can only get an extended resident permit in Finland.
Go to the police station and take a queue number. They must serve you but it doesn't have to be fast.

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:47 am

betelgeuse wrote: Go to the police station and take a queue number. They must serve you but it doesn't have to be fast.
It might be worth while to go there half an hour or so before the doors open.

Adokas

Post by Adokas » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:28 am

Thanks for answers all.
Beep_Boop wrote: Oh, and next time try Google and relevant Finnish website (poliisi, migri, etc.). They have official information. Also, it's a huge plus to learn to be less lazy. As you can see, my answers are taken directly from the website.
I did mate, I've checked migri and poliisi. I even saw the web page that you mention, but title of that page tricked me. Thanks for the help tho.