Bringing a car from the U.S. to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
KaDaSa

Post by KaDaSa » Sun May 22, 2005 2:44 am

My wife and I will be moving to Finland in just over two years, and I am leaning towards bringing our car with us; it's a 2003 Toyota Matrix (essentially a Corolla with a different body), that we got for a great price last year (bought it from my aunt). I am sure that there a million different things to take into consideration (taxes, maintenance, "resale-ability," etc.), but I am not sure what they all are. Is there anyone here, who can enlighten me?

Sorry if there is another thread that has already covered this topic...I just found this site today!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Sun May 22, 2005 6:45 am

Hey!!! I have a Toyota Matrix too that I'd love to bring to Finland, but it's not in my budget. :cry: Mine is 2004 and yellow. :wink: How about yours?

As for details, I'm sure someone can provide you with further details but I think you can bring it over as a personal effect tax free, and then there will be some things you need to do to "finlandize" the car itself.

Good Luck!
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun May 22, 2005 4:47 pm

http://www.tulli.fi/en/02_Publications/ ... /index.jsp
=> Importation of Removal Goods including Private Motor Vehicles into Finland No. 8/2004 (pdf file 195kb)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

KaDaSa

Post by KaDaSa » Sun May 22, 2005 9:50 pm

Ours is red w/5 speed transmission (base model). On my last stay in Finland, which was almost 3 years ago now, I checked out car prices and was floored. I know that we will take a financial hit getting it shipped over and "finlandizing," but I think it may be better than trying to find a car of comprable value/quality in Finland.

Thanks for the link Hank!