Residence permit extension

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
Marzeilla
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:23 pm

Residence permit extension

Post by Marzeilla » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:28 pm

Hello everybody,

I currently have a student residence permit that expires on the 18th of August. I wanna leave Finland at the end of May. My first question is how early can I renew my permit? My second is, considering my latest exam is on the 28th of April and I might not have the transcript of records early enough, can I apply before I go and pick up my card some 2 months or 3 later (because I can get a visa easily to go back if I have received the permit abroad) ? Also, can I re-enter the European Union three days for instance prior to the expiry of my permit or will it be problematic at passport control? Finally, how much time does it take to get the new residence permit?

Thanks in advance



Residence permit extension

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

betelgeuse
Posts: 2755
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Residence permit extension

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:59 pm

Marzeilla wrote:My first question is how early can I renew my permit?
The law does not say so you should ask your local police station about their opinion.
Marzeilla wrote: My second is, considering my latest exam is on the 28th of April and I might not have the transcript of records early enough, can I apply before I go and pick up my card some 2 months or 3 later (because I can get a visa easily to go back if I have received the permit abroad) ?
Your paperwork will need to be in order when they make the decision or the application will be denied. Assuming they still deliver the permits by mail, you can give someone else the power of attorney to pick it up and send it to you wherever you are in the world.
Marzeilla wrote: Also, can I re-enter the European Union three days for instance prior to the expiry of my permit or will it be problematic at passport control?
You can enter whenever the permit is valid so assuming I understood correctly (some problems in your English), yes.
Marzeilla wrote: Finally, how much time does it take to get the new residence permit?
https://www.poliisi.fi/luvat/kasittelyajat

This page says to expect three months. The actual times vary per person and location.


Marzeilla
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Residence permit extension

Post by Marzeilla » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:22 am

Thanks for your reply.

What I meant is will it be a problem if I try to go back to Finland three days prior to the expiry of my permit in case I don't have time to renew it before I leave ? Also, there is no direct flight. Therefore, I usually go through passport control in some other European country, mostly Germany. They're the ones that check my residence permit as I'm entering the Schengen space.


User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 2036
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: Residence permit extension

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:50 am

Marzeilla wrote:Also, there is no direct flight. Therefore, I usually go through passport control in some other European country, mostly Germany.
I think I know your concern. I've dealt with German and Austrian passport control one time each. Dealing with the Finnish ones is so much better since you can speak Finnish with them and they have the local knowledge and contacts to verify some of your information very quickly; If you say to a German officer you study in Haaga-Helia, you might as well have said you study in WakaWakaBikaBika University.

Now, whenever I travel outside EU (especially to Gulf countries and S/SE Asia), I always relay through Istanbul on my way back to Finland as there are several direct flights to Helsinki.
Every f*cking case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online. Stop being a moron!


Post Reply