How about moving ?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Lasho

How about moving ?

Post by Lasho » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:45 pm

Hello, I'm 25 y/o male, from central america, just trying to give a twist to.my life and considering to move to a complete different country and culture, hears a lot of good things about finland, that is why I'm considering this country.
Now my questions are :
1) How are foreign, Latino (from america) are seen in your country?
2)I'm a qualified dentist in my country, would I get a job related to the area, maybe an assistant or hygenist while I learn the language.
3) Is difficult for foreign persons to get everythibg setup ?

Thank you and have a great day.
:lol:

How about moving ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: How about moving ?

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:29 pm

1) Who cares?
Let me give you a piece of advice that will be helpful if you end up coming to Finland: Xenophobia doesn't distinguish whether you're Rajesh from India or Ernesto from El Salvador. Is there racism in Finland? Yes, absolutely. Is it to a level that you'll be afraid for your life? Absolutely not! Are you gonna see it from day to day? Very rarely. A drunken person may swear at you or call you some racial slur every now and then, but that's how drunks are in most of the world, so nothing exceptional. Maaaybe if you're biking in a white Finnish neighborhood (which is pretty much everywhere except dense population centres) you'll be given "the look".
Other than that, nothing major. You'll find your circles, people who find you interesting, fascinating, exotic Latino, you'll tell stories about your country and they'll be charmed, and those will be your friends. Beyond that, tune it out and you'll be happy.

2) Not straightforward. You'll need to get your credentials validated in Finland and take some steps (more information on that here). Also, don't raise your hopes too high about learning the language. If you're working full time, it's gonna be difficult to learn, unless you're a language genius or very young (pre-highschool), or unemployed, ooor forced to do so by immersion in your work environment.

3) No, it's not. Once you're in Finland, it's quite easy to get everything setup, with exception for internet banking.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:11 pm

For non-EU trained it is difficult, and you need to pass quite rigorous language tests as well. So it doesn't look that easy. Of course theres an option to "get foot in" say in Spain, and then move up to the Nordics. You shouldn't dismiss Norway and Sweden, both have their ups and downs like Finland.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:24 am

I think I agree with Pursuivant. Having a foothold in Spain is a good first step. You probably know the language already, and it will be easier to get an EU qualifications. Once you have that, then moving in EU will be 100x easier for you.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:49 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:..., and it will be easier to get an EU qualifications. Once you have that, then moving in EU will be 100x easier for you.
What do you mean with EU qualification? Getting licensed for a (healthcare) profession only happens on a national level and is only valid for that country. If OP moves to Spain and is allowed to either work as a dentist or only gets accredited for a lesser profession he would net automatically be allowed to practice that profession in all of the EU.

But yes, Spain would be much easier as in the healthcare industry language is an important factor. And Finnish is incredibly hard to learn to a decent level. Apart from that Finland (and Valvira as accrediting agency) has very high standards for healthcare professions, that makes it hard for any degree or diploma from outside the EU.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:19 pm

wolf80 wrote:What do you mean with EU qualification?
A qualification and training from an EU country means that he'll have much easier time getting through Valvira.
Obviously I don't mean a pan-European licence to practice in all EU countries.