Questions about residence permit.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
loki4000

Post by loki4000 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:16 am

Greetings
I am a student at in metropolia university.
I have started my studies last year and currently have addres (HOAS housing).
I have certain questions about residence permit.
I am aware that these questions might seem basic. But I find information regardin them a bit confusing.

1.I have currently permanent residence permit in Estonia (allow to move freely around EU). My friends from Finland told me that apart from work, this should have been sufficient to move into Finland, rent a room and study. But then my study coordinator told me to immediately go for residene permit. So I am a bit confused, how serious is it?

2.I hear that if you did not register right away you need to pay fine. What is the fine for 9 month?

3.I can provide an extract from a bank account showing that I spennd in average 800 euro per month
for the last 6-9 month. will it suffice as proof of my sufficient income?

4.Does police registration last forever or do you need to reaply every few years?

5.I have relative (one of the parents) who is EU citizen. Can it help somehow?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Questions about residence permit.

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 01, 2016 2:34 pm

loki4000 wrote: 1.I have currently permanent residence permit in Estonia (allow to move freely around EU). My friends from Finland told me that apart from work, this should have been sufficient to move into Finland, rent a room and study. But then my study coordinator told me to immediately go for residene permit. So I am a bit confused, how serious is it?
The Estonian permit only allows you to come to Finland as a tourist with the 90 days in 180 days rule.
loki4000 wrote: 2.I hear that if you did not register right away you need to pay fine. What is the fine for 9 month?
In addition to the fine you can be deported because you are illegally in the country. Fines like this depend on your income in Finland. The term register is not applicable to you. Only EU citizens can "register" (registration of the right of residence).
loki4000 wrote: 3.I can provide an extract from a bank account showing that I spennd in average 800 euro per month
for the last 6-9 month. will it suffice as proof of my sufficient income?
It does not. You need to provide funds source of funds for the future.
loki4000 wrote: 4.Does police registration last forever or do you need to reaply every few years?
You can't do registration. Student residence permits need to be extended every year by application.
loki4000 wrote: 5.I have relative (one of the parents) who is EU citizen. Can it help somehow?
No unless it makes you eligible for EU citizenship.

In addition please note that you are supposed to apply for the residence permit in the Embassy of Finland in Estonia.

wolf80

Re: Questions about residence permit.

Post by wolf80 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:38 am

Seems you are in quite a mess, getting this cleaned up will get ugly. You have been illegally in the country for quite a while, so getting a residence permit now will be hard to impossible. If the Estonians find out you mis-used your Estonian residence permit to study in another EU country they might as well withdraw it.

How come you never needed a Finnish ID number, especially for HOAS? And apart from that, you already posted in this forum in 2011 looking for an appartment, how does this fit to your current situation?