commonlaw marriage/residancy

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kmboll

Post by kmboll » Wed May 25, 2005 7:54 pm

I read that after 2 years of living with a Finn, you can apply for Finnish residency even if you aren't married. My gf has called the Finnish office of foreign affairs and the police office and they both confirmed this, but to be honest it seems too easy. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and if there are any obsticles I should watch out for.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed May 25, 2005 8:22 pm

No, that's the law. When you apply it's best if both you and your girlfriend write a brief (one page is fine) account of your relationship and if possible, attach any documents that confirm you've been living together. A brief letter from a landlord or a copy of any bills with her name on them is enough. No need to go overboard and attach millions of photos (or any for that matter), it's not required and it probably means your permit will be assessed under the "another American that's seen Green Card one too many times" category. ;)
[img:1n9ojkdk]images/pics/flags/au.gif[/img:1n9ojkdk]

kmboll

Post by kmboll » Wed May 25, 2005 8:31 pm

great to hear......now to find a job and come to the realization that I'll make 50% less than I do here and won't be able to afford a house. :oops: oh yea.......and learn how to speak that impossible language.

acwan

Post by acwan » Wed May 25, 2005 10:27 pm

kmboll wrote:great to hear......now to find a job and come to the realization that I'll make 50% less than I do here and won't be able to afford a house. :oops: oh yea.......and learn how to speak that impossible language.
And pay more taxes. Well, at least you are aware of the potential challenges ahead of you. That's better than many that have come here before (including myself).

Let me guess. You're coming here for the wonderful summers that Finland has 3 months out of the year? :)

kmboll

Post by kmboll » Wed May 25, 2005 11:41 pm

Yea, i love riding my motorcycle and bicycle but Minnesota summers are just too long. That and I was bored so I decided 2 hours of Finnish 3 days a week after work would help............

In all honesty, I'm really looking foreward to trying a new place to live but not too excited about the shorter summers. Going from owning my own house, a SUV, and 2 motorcycles to HOPEFULLY an apartment and 1 motorcycle will take some getting used to as well.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu May 26, 2005 12:01 am

kmboll wrote:Yea, i love riding my motorcycle and bicycle but Minnesota summers are just too long. That and I was bored so I decided 2 hours of Finnish 3 days a week after work would help............

In all honesty, I'm really looking foreward to trying a new place to live but not too excited about the shorter summers. Going from owning my own house, a SUV, and 2 motorcycles to HOPEFULLY an apartment and 1 motorcycle will take some getting used to as well.
What bike do you have? I have a CBR 600 that came with me from the UK.

kmboll

Post by kmboll » Thu May 26, 2005 12:44 am

also have a 2000 cbr F4 600! 8) planning/hoping to bring it with when I go. what do you pay for insurance? are there many riding clubs around?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu May 26, 2005 9:13 am

Insurance is about a grand a year... depends on where you live and the cc's. And when you start with 0 bonuses... (hint: better start off with a small bike) Then again its only 4-6 months insured usually.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu May 26, 2005 4:30 pm

kmboll wrote:also have a 2000 cbr F4 600! 8) planning/hoping to bring it with when I go. what do you pay for insurance? are there many riding clubs around?
Mine's a '93 model, and as Hank say's about 1000 euros a year :(

kmboll

Post by kmboll » Thu May 26, 2005 6:14 pm

that sucks........what is the "bonus" on insurance? Is there a way to show that I have zero accidents or speeding tickets here?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu May 26, 2005 11:25 pm

They don't care. Its clean slate you start with. And pay.. and pay... this is Finland you know, you pay... and pay...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri May 27, 2005 11:28 am

Hank W. wrote:They don't care. Its clean slate you start with. And pay.. and pay... this is Finland you know, you pay... and pay...
Not always, I got some bonus given on the basis of bonus built up in UK.

In The UK you get Maximum bonus after 5 years, here it increases for 12-15 years from memory up to 60-70% IIRC.