Buying land in finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
Swissguy
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Buying land in finland

Post by Swissguy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:34 am

Hi guys, I will be moving to finland next august. In the long term i might buy some land in Finland, so I'd like to ask if someone could give me any information about the land prices? I have heard very different prices, reaching from 0.5e per sq.m. to 2000.



Buying land in finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
rinso
Posts: 3678
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Re: Buying land in finland

Post by rinso » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:06 am

Swissguy wrote:Hi guys, I will be moving to finland next august. In the long term i might buy some land in Finland, so I'd like to ask if someone could give me any information about the land prices? I have heard very different prices, reaching from 0.5e per sq.m. to 2000.
location, location,location.....


Rip
Posts: 5583
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Buying land in finland

Post by Rip » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:47 am

Or maybe location and building rights (zoning rules or what ever you call them). Right to build is of little value if the location is of next none interest. Location means mostly distance from largest cities, preferably Helsinki. Bonus points for lake or seaside.

If the plot is of no particular interest regarding location, then for example the trees on forest plot are often worth more than land they stand on.


Rosamunda
Posts: 10609
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Re: Buying land in finland

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am

How good is your Finnish?

This is a search engine for property in Finland. 'Tontti' (tontit-plots) is the word you need.
http://asunnot.oikotie.fi/myytavat-tontit

In the boxes on the left you can put postcodes or the name of the town/municipality/region.
On the right you can give min-max limits for price or size.

'Ranta' very losely translates as beach, but don't imagine sand and rolling surf. In Finland 'ranta' can refer to any shoreline: lakes, sea or maybe even a river. It may or may not have grassy banks, it could be covered in forest and the actual lake might not be so easily accessible. Use Google Earth or similar to get a view of the area. There is also a website (recently on another thread???) which provides detailed maps of any area.


Swissguy
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: Buying land in finland

Post by Swissguy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks a lot rosamunda. I've started to study finnish and now after 3 months of studying, im around 1500 words and i know how to conjugate verbs in present, so i guess I'll understand more or less enough for that website.
But I do wonder, is the land sold by private people? Because I believe that buying directly from the state would be cheaper since the peoeple selling on that website must seek a profit.


Upphew
Posts: 9912
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Buying land in finland

Post by Upphew » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Swissguy wrote:Thanks a lot rosamunda. I've started to study finnish and now after 3 months of studying, im around 1500 words and i know how to conjugate verbs in present, so i guess I'll understand more or less enough for that website.
But I do wonder, is the land sold by private people? Because I believe that buying directly from the state would be cheaper since the peoeple selling on that website must seek a profit.
Sure, everyone seeks profit. It is unlikely that you get to buy from state, but local municipalities do sell plots, and with good prices, to attract tax payers. Eg. loppi.fi sold plots at 10000€ regardless of the original price. pyhtaa.fi seems to have many plots at -50%. And I would bet that I could find a dozen other similar offers if I kept on looking.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


Rosamunda
Posts: 10609
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Re: Buying land in finland

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Interesting. Presumably they are not in prime locations though. Or if they are, they must be snapped up pretty quickly. Do they sell at auction as well? There is a thriving auction market in the UK for properties (built and unbuilt) - does something similar exist here?


Upphew
Posts: 9912
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Buying land in finland

Post by Upphew » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Rosamunda wrote:Interesting. Presumably they are not in prime locations though. Or if they are, they must be snapped up pretty quickly. Do they sell at auction as well? There is a thriving auction market in the UK for properties (built and unbuilt) - does something similar exist here?
Some municipalities are not prime locations ;) Auctions are used sometimes, but imo quite a bit less than back in the day, building volumes and all that. Especially plots that are by the lakeside tend to get auctioned. Or not auctioned but one can make an offer and all the offers are opened same time and highest offer gets the plot.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


Rosamunda
Posts: 10609
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Re: Buying land in finland

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:08 pm

I checked the tontit that are up for sale in my postcode. There were only three but the €/m2 varied hugely. The biggest had the highest €/m2 (and also required some demolition work). All three were cramped between other houses so I guess the existing plots were being split up.

Also worth noting is that municipalities have very different perspectives on building regulations. Some can be quite strict about dimensions, materials etc and others are more laissez-faire.


Post Reply