Rims for snow tires

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Ed

Rims for snow tires

Post by Ed » Sat May 28, 2005 9:06 pm

I have seen it mentioned here several times that I should bring an extra set of rims to mount snow tires on. Seems like a sensible suggestion on the surface, makes it much easier to change from summer to winter tires and back again. So I went about looking for rims for our cars we are bringing with us. I was shocked to see that the cheapest I could get were in the $110 each price range. That would mean it would cost me about $950 (tax included) for 4 rims for each car, or $1200 if I got one for a winter spare tire as well. So how much does it cost to have tires mounted and balanced over there? Here it is usually about $10 per tire. Assuming I have winter spares that would mean mounting and balancing 10 tires twice a year (2 cars) or $200 / year. That means it would take 6 years for the rims to pay for themselves. Is there a cheaper way? Are rims cheaper there?

Rims for snow tires

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ed

Cant be in the trunk

Post by Ed » Sat May 28, 2005 9:15 pm

Just thought I would add that all of the shipping companies have told me that the spare rims can NOT be in the car. The vehicle must be completely empty. Note that there are two ways to ship cars, they can either go in a container, or the can do "Roll On/Roll Off" or ro/ro as they call it. If they go in a container then the rims and other goods can also go in the container, but not in the car. If they go ro/ro, then nothing else goes with the car. The price difference, ro/ro for two cars from California to Finland $4800 door to door, in a container about $8000 port to port, and since I am not close to the port add another $400 each to get them to the port.

Ed

ronrubies

Post by ronrubies » Sat May 28, 2005 11:34 pm

Hi Ed,
Having come from CA, I also needed wheels and snow tires. A neighbor told me where to go and I got 4 alloy rims and excellent quality studded tires for about 800 euro per car for two cars. PM if you want more details.
Ron

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun May 29, 2005 3:24 am

Rims in USA cost "nothing" to rims in Finland.

Of course, naturally, you get the cheapest possible steel rims (+ then some plasticky fancyness) but as "everyone knows that" I won't be telling you.

Changing the tyres is 40-50 euros here. Getting rimmed is 20 per tyre. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Hank W. on Sun May 29, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun May 29, 2005 8:51 am

I don't think people usually drive with a "spare" winter tyre. I have a lease car and the tyres are changed for me every winter by the lease company, but the spare has never been moved/changed.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun May 29, 2005 12:11 pm

Besides which modern cars tend to have something really flaky as a "spare tire", like 1/2 the size of the regular just to get to the first shop. So you couldn't fit even a regular tire in the spare tire place.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.