Processing time on Residence Permits reliant on another

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
ProspectiveFinn
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:29 am

Processing time on Residence Permits reliant on another

Post by ProspectiveFinn » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 pm

I am going to by moving to Finland to attend University of Helsinki in pursuit of my Masters degree in August, and I am currently undergoing the process to attain a Residence Permit. My wife and son are also applying for their residence permits on the basis of mine. I noticed on the Migri.fi website that the average processing time for a Residence Permit for Studies is 1 month, but the average processing time for a Residence Permit on the basis of family ties is 9 months. Does this mean that I will have to move without my family and that we will be apart for 8 months, or is it likely that their permits would be approved at the same time as my own since they're reliant upon it? Thank you in advance for any insight or information you can provide.



Processing time on Residence Permits reliant on another

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

ProspectiveFinn
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Processing time on Residence Permits reliant on another

Post by ProspectiveFinn » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:22 am

roger_roger wrote:
ProspectiveFinn wrote:I am going to by moving to Finland to attend University of Helsinki in pursuit of my Masters degree in August, and I am currently undergoing the process to attain a Residence Permit. My wife and son are also applying for their residence permits on the basis of mine. I noticed on the Migri.fi website that the average processing time for a Residence Permit for Studies is 1 month, but the average processing time for a Residence Permit on the basis of family ties is 9 months. Does this mean that I will have to move without my family and that we will be apart for 8 months, or is it likely that their permits would be approved at the same time as my own since they're reliant upon it? Thank you in advance for any insight or information you can provide.
you shot in your knees by not applying together, I guess people have already suggested here to apply together if you all want to move together. Now, the processing will go back as you said, 9 months for based on family ties, that means either they can come with you and have to leave schengen area once in 3 months until their residence permit is granted, or wait till they receive one in your home country.
I applied online, but when I attempted to submit the two permits for my wife and son said the website said their application types were ineligible for online application and must instead be submitted in person. I made an appointment for the three of us at the Consulate on this coming Wednesday to do the interview portion for all three of our applications, and will be delivering their paper applications then. Do you think that's sufficient to be considered as applying together, or would I have had to not applied online at all for myself, and instead done all three of our applications on paper? Thanks for the help, roger_roger.


ProspectiveFinn
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Processing time on Residence Permits reliant on another

Post by ProspectiveFinn » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:54 am

roger_roger wrote:
ProspectiveFinn wrote:I applied online, but when I attempted to submit the two permits for my wife and son said the website said their application types were ineligible for online application and must instead be submitted in person.
Things are pretty slow in Finland, its been more than 2 years, still they only have 2 application types to be filled online. I guess the whole idea was to replace the amount of paper use, anyways.
ProspectiveFinn wrote:I made an appointment for the three of us at the Consulate on this coming Wednesday to do the interview portion for all three of our applications, and will be delivering their paper applications then. Do you think that's sufficient to be considered as applying together, or would I have had to not applied online at all for myself, and instead done all three of our applications on paper?
I really don't know, but I guess if you all have interview together then they might consider your application as joint application. You can of course ask the interviewer first hand.
Asking the interviewer is what we intend and hopefully I'll get a definitive answer then, but I was hoping someone here had been in a similar situation and already knew. We're already in the process of selling our home so if my family has to stay behind it'll be inconvenient at a minimum, and the sooner we start planning for that outcome the easier it will be to find temporary living arrangements for the interim. Anyways, I'll be sure to return here to post the end result so that any who come after may find it. Thank you again, roger_roger.


ProspectiveFinn
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Processing time on Residence Permits reliant on another

Post by ProspectiveFinn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 pm

For anyone who may come across this thread looking for the same answer: my interviewer informed me that the three applications would be linked in their system and so they will all be approved or denied simultaneously, regardless of the fact that my initial application was submitted online and my wife & son's were both paper applications submitted in person on the day of the interview.


Post Reply