Graphic Design in Tampere

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
antj

Post by antj » Mon May 30, 2005 3:39 am

I'm moving to Tampere in July from Leeds in England and have been trying to find graphic design companies to contact in regard to finding work (I don't speak finnish). Only managed to find 2 places but one of them has offered me work experience/training, which is obviously a great start. Has any one got any ideas on how i can find more companies to contact in the area?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

richard berman

Post by richard berman » Mon May 30, 2005 7:12 pm

If I was you, I would just go with the link that you have got, It is hard here in Helsinki to find work and Tampere is even harder , So you should just go there and they may like you and keep you on.
Web hosting from 8€ a month http://www.Oxterweb.net

Iain

Post by Iain » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:26 am

Hi,
I am currently doing a work experience post with an advertising/design agency. I strongly recommend it as a way of getting a foot in the door.
I am making good friends and contacts. Like in Britain, everyone knows each other here, only more so. Its great for your cv and portfolio too.

nannona

Post by nannona » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:24 pm

what about working with graphic design (or design research) and not speak any (or just basic) finnish? how hard is it??? :shock:

i'm moving to finland with my husband, who already has a job, and i'm kinda getting desperate just reading all the posts here...

karo

Post by karo » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:43 pm

Nannona, don't get desperate. At least here in Helsinki, I have lots of foreigner friends who are graphic designers (many of them French, some British, etc.) and don't really speak any Finnish at all. They all work at digital media / marketing agencies, just like I do myself.

Iain

Post by Iain » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:51 am

Hi,
Of the 8 people I work with, 2 have worked in the UK, One speaks 5 languages, the others have a very high level of English and Swedish. Much of their marketing material has to be produced in English (as well as Russian and Swedish)
I have made myself useful here with proof reading as I pick up on clumsy phrasing that they would not necessarily notice. They make a point of telling clients that they have a native English speaker on board for such purposes.

For my part I have learnt a lot more about Finnish people, life, society and culture and made some good friends, working has kept me sane.

I have found everyone to be most welcoming and decent. Certainly in Oulu people are much more open and approachable than in the UK ad and marketing world. I went doorknocking with my portfolio, cv and letter of introduction, dropping off the letter and cv but saying to the receptionist "I understand that you're all extremely busy, but I have my portfolio here now if you could spare 10 minutes" (Friday afternoons or Monday mornings are good times for this) In the UK I think I would be given the bums rush for daring to suggest that an important art director could spare 10 minutes from his busy schedule to see someone without an appointment!
You will find that there are many things you can't do here. But you can bring a different perspective to many projects. My employers have been very good at finding ways to utilise my talent it has also led to them taking on projects they would not have otherwise, or just handling them in a new or different way.
Good luck.[/i]