Extending permanent residence permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
solidrepellent

Post by solidrepellent » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:53 am

Hello all,

I am a non-EU and permanent resident of Finland. I would like to extend my Finnish permanent residence card which expires in January 2018. I understand that I am only renewing my card like any other card (identity card, licence etc..). But still I need some clarification.

1) Should, I make a formal application to migri again for this, like the one I made to acquire my initial PR? or can I just extend it like an identity card at the police station?

2) Should I show that I am still working and employed? The thing is my contract ends at the end of August 2017. I will be unemployed around the time I am making an application.

3) regarding the residence permit for my child: I am now applying for a Finnish residence permit for my new born baby (born a month ago). The application (http://www.migri.fi/download/15111_OLE_ ... 12f0a3d388) asks me to furnish my source of income, tax card etc.. despite me and my wife holding PR. Are those documents necessary for parents with PRs? (The thing is I am currently unemployed and my new work contract starts from September 2016). The application does not clarify. It says and I quote
You do not have to answer the questions concerning income if the family member already resident in Finland is a citizen of a
Nordic country or has been issued a residence permit on the basis of being a returnee, a former Finnish citizen or a person of Finnish origin. You do not have to answer the questions concerning income if the family member already resident in Finland has refugee status or has been issued a residence permit on the grounds of subsidiary protection, humanitarian protection, or temporary protection and family was formed before the family member already residing in Finland entered Finland.
Thank you very much for your time.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Extending permanent residence permit

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:17 am

solidrepellent wrote: 1) Should, I make a formal application to migri again for this, like the one I made to acquire my initial PR? or can I just extend it like an identity card at the police station?
Permanent residence applications and card renewals are processed by the police (until the end of the year).
solidrepellent wrote: 2) Should I show that I am still working and employed? The thing is my contract ends at the end of August 2017. I will be unemployed around the time I am making an application.
No.
solidrepellent wrote: 3) regarding the residence permit for my child: I am now applying for a Finnish residence permit for my new born baby (born a month ago). The application (http://www.migri.fi/download/15111_OLE_ ... 12f0a3d388) asks me to furnish my source of income, tax card etc.. despite me and my wife holding PR. Are those documents necessary for parents with PRs? (The thing is I am currently unemployed and my new work contract starts from September 2016).
There's an income requirement for children but it can be waived when in the best interest of the child. Since neither parent can be deported the individual interests should apply.

solidrepellent

Post by solidrepellent » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:04 am

betelgeuse@ Thanks a lot for the reply.

Could you/others please let me know the process to extend the PR application? I could not find an application to extend my PR on migri website. Is it like I just go to the police station and apply for one without any additional supporting documents?

Can I hold an EU residence permit for third-country nationals with long-term EU resident status and the Finnish permanent residence simultaneously?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:25 am

solidrepellent wrote: Could you/others please let me know the process to extend the PR application? I could not find an application to extend my PR on migri website. Is it like I just go to the police station and apply for one without any additional supporting documents?
By definition you are not able to extend a permanent residency. That's what permanent means... You can however renew the card that proves your right to permanent residency. You use OLE_KORTTI for this.

http://www.migri.fi/download/25249_OLE_ ... 628951d388
solidrepellent wrote: Can I hold an EU residence permit for third-country nationals with long-term EU resident status and the Finnish permanent residence simultaneously?
Why would you want that? I don't think the latter gives you any benefits over the former.