Tampere here I come...!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
mono

Tampere here I come...!

Post by mono » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Hello all, been lurking around too scared to post incase it was a bad omen on my exam results! Saying that I've passed, so i'm heading to MIT in Tampere in August to do a year in the Genetics lab there.

I guess you'll be hearing alot from me in the coming months before I go! I'm 21 from Glasgow and have never left home before, so you can see I'm really jumping in the deep end by moving out to another country!!

Would like to say how amazing this site is, and all you people on the forum seem so helpful and friendly! Also the finnishschool.com will be excellent and the finnish journal is hilarious! Once I set up camp hopefully I'll keep a journal too you can all read.

Anyways just a wee introduction to myself and to say hello. I'm sure I'll be posting loads soon, but I'm certain any questions I ask now, I'll be sure to help others once i've been in Finland for a while.

Cheers

Tampere here I come...!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

meksikosuomen

Post by meksikosuomen » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:29 pm

Congratulations,,you are welcome to the forum,, feel free for asking whatever you wish, there are lots of old farts in with loads of good advice here dispose to answer your questions.
""Mynna tachton gemasti spuhu somen gelen muta emyna dayda""

mono

Post by mono » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:15 am

Thanks for that.

So so many questions, meeting up with someone who's just returning from Finland so i guess I'll ask her. But thanks everyone.

miti

Post by miti » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:46 am

Good luck :wink:

but feel free to post your questions here as well - can be quite helpful from time to time.

Miti.

mono

Post by mono » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:25 pm

Question 1 of many... am I better insuring my personal belonings here, or in Tampere? Just like my lap top, ipod, expensive jackets.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:16 am

I'd do in both ends. :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:14 pm

Hank W. wrote:I'd do in both ends. :lol:
What about the insurance though?

mono

Post by mono » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Well only two weeks to go! Going to do a trial packing of my bags to see the weight, I know ryan air only lets me have 15kgs checked in baggage and 10kgs to take on as hand luggage.

Anyone know if i'm better using ryan airs charge of £4.50 (6.50 euros) for excess weight or... using a company to ship out my excess 5 - 10 kilos?

Thanks!

JulieM

Post by JulieM » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:00 pm

Wooo! Another student Tampere-bound! Seems like a popular spot for international students (?)...

You're arriving before I will, so be sure to post and let us know how it goes! It's also my first time abroad, and any and all advice is welcome!

becca

Post by becca » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:25 am

Richard wrote: What about the insurance though?
lol

mono - I'd get insurance in Tampere if I were you, but some travel insurance while you are on your way if you don't have it. If you are staying for a year then it is most likely cheaper to get it in Finland.

For bringing stuff over with Ryanair - if you check in about 10 minutes before the time the gates are about to close then aside from there being no queue there is a good (but not guarenteed) chance that the guy on the gate will not really want to wait while you go and pay, and just let you on anyway. It's worked for me a couple of times ;), as long as you don't go and take the piss. If it doesn't work then at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you don't have to go through the agro of waiting for a parcel to arrive, and then the annoyingness of going out to pick it up. Better still, because of the way which Ryanair operate the queues for their aeroplanes, checking in late doesn't mean a crappy seat at the back with some sweaty old guy!

If you are really lucky and get a flight which has some seats empty (I'd put that at a 1 in 3 chance) then the cabin crew are usually happy to let you move around a bit.
Last edited by becca on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TopDog

Post by TopDog » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:11 am

Old Farts (harrumph) Indeed!

(( snicker snicker snicker ))

mono

Post by mono » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:38 pm

Well thats me one week in, and I have to say I like it here.

I managed to smuggle 33kgs with Ryan air, bit of flirting at the desk ensured my overweight hold luggage got in ok, the from glasgow to stansted my 15kg hand luggage (its only allowed to be 10kg) was fine,

However some english git at the gates in London was really rude and went, eh your taking the piss with that mate, go check that in, no way is that hand luggage! Pah I said, but the girl at the desk said it was ok (he called my bliff and told me to go back and check it in)

Anyways being a chancer I just went to another security gate and got in fine :) The whole way to the departure lounge I expected a heavy hand on my shoulder!

I'm staying in Lapinkaari (obviously I dont tell people that, I say I live in Lapinmeimi and I work at the hospital :) )

Have made a few friends, learnt about 10 words in Finnish. Know my way about an have alreay experienced the expensive drink in town! Going over to Tallin soon to stock up!

Anyways if your a new international student coming soon and want me to give you a quick tour, go for a drink or just have a chat you can email me at [email protected] and hopefully I can help.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread, any more questions and I'll just ask.

bye

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:21 pm

You should say you live in Lapinniemi and climbed over the fence... :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

kultary

Post by kultary » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:32 pm

When I lived on Lapinkaari, I just told people I had a place at the spa... well, close to it

-ry