Spouse permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Mariadan

Spouse permit

Post by Mariadan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi,

I am a Finnish citizen and currently studying in Germany. My husband is from Non-EU and studying in Finland. we have been married since 2 years. We married just before i moved to Germany and we have not been living together because we were neigbours before and then i got a study place in Germany. Since then we are visiting each other time to time. We have planned to live permanently in Finland after my studies finish. Right now he has study permit and part time permanent job as well.

1) My question is that can my husband apply for spouse permit in Finland?
2) If yes then how much is the chance of getting permit? or should we wait for my studies to finish.

Thanks

Spouse permit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Spouse permit

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:17 am

Mariadan wrote:We married just before i moved to Germany and we have not been living together because we were neigbours before and then i got a study place in Germany. Since then we are visiting each other time to time. We have planned to live permanently in Finland after my studies finish. Right now he has study permit and part time permanent job as well.

1) My question is that can my husband apply for spouse permit in Finland?
Yes once you move back to Finland.
Mariadan wrote: 2) If yes then how much is the chance of getting permit? or should we wait for my studies to finish.
You must.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:33 pm

Mariadan wrote:2) If yes then how much is the chance of getting permit?
Using statistical information[1] (case-agnostic), you can say 80.4%
Not a great metric, but it's something.

[1] http://www.migri.fi/download/65485_oles ... a_2016.pdf
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Mariadan

Post by Mariadan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks a lot "betelgeuse" , "roger_roger" and "Beep_Boop".
My husband asked from Poliisi about this matter. They did not tell straight forward answer. They said you can always apply and application process can take upto 9 months. That is very long time. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this before. Thanks for your help

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:02 pm

Mariadan wrote:My husband asked from Poliisi about this matter. They did not tell straight forward answer.
There's no "straight answer. The police cannot process your case before you apply.
Imagine if I ask you "Tell me now if I'm a good looking and nice person or not." How can you do that? You've never met me, and you've never talked to me. Similar there. They cannot give you a final answer on your case before your case is processed.
Mariadan wrote:That is very long time. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this before.
Experience doesn't matter. Each case is different. If the case officer suspects foul play, then it will take him/her more time to investigate and verify your claims.
Mariadan wrote:They said you can always apply and application process can take upto 9 months. That is very long time.
Alternatively, you can take the "EU right route". It's a lot faster, but you'll have to show some money. Somebody else will probably comment on the applicability and give more instructions.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Mariadan

Post by Mariadan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:10 am

Beep_Boop wrote:
Mariadan wrote:My husband asked from Poliisi about this matter. They did not tell straight forward answer.
There's no "straight answer. The police cannot process your case before you apply.
Imagine if I ask you "Tell me now if I'm a good looking and nice person or not." How can you do that? You've never met me, and you've never talked to me. Similar there. They cannot give you a final answer on your case before your case is processed.
Mariadan wrote:That is very long time. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this before.
Experience doesn't matter. Each case is different. If the case officer suspects foul play, then it will take him/her more time to investigate and verify your claims.
Mariadan wrote:They said you can always apply and application process can take upto 9 months. That is very long time.
Alternatively, you can take the "EU right route". It's a lot faster, but you'll have to show some money. Somebody else will probably comment on the applicability and give more instructions.

Thanks a lot Beep_Boop, That explained well,

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:02 am

I know someone whose permit took 9 months. But during that time she was permitted to be in Finland. She just couldn't work or be in "the system" etc, so it was a frustrating time for her. But not a lost time... she paid for her own Finnish classes and got to maybe A2.2.