Meeting the parents (help required!!)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Lefty

Post by Lefty » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:44 am

In just two weeks I will be (hopefully, God willing) reporting live from Helsinki!! Yes people, the time is drawing nearer to the big crunch :D I feel excited, scared, happy, all sorts. My boyfriend has told me that he spoke to his parents and they said they are going to ask about my domestic skills :shock: , then they will spring a surprise on me and ask me to demonstrate a particular skill. I dont know what it will be neither does he (they obviously wouldn't say because he would tell me and I could practice :lol: ), but the whole concept seems quite interesting to me strangely. I hope its cooking, because I do that well :wink:

As for the rude words, quiet a history there, its fascinating. I doubt greatly that there is any history behind English rude words, because over here people just saying anything that pops into mind, really no sense to it at all. :roll: I need to come to Finland to be with more intellectually advanced people :wink:

ImageImage

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Op999

Post by Op999 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:00 am

It's exactly a month until I am there, and while I am catching up on my Suomi, I've learned the perfect phrase to justify what is coming out of my mouth when I am there:

"Minna puhu luolomies Suomi" ("I speak caveman Finnish")

Olut, makarra, missa on vessa, blablabla...I can be even more direct than a Finn :D

EP

Post by EP » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:29 pm

but the whole concept seems quite interesting to me strangely. I hope its cooking, because I do that well
Nah, I don´t think it is anything so ordinary. At least it was not for me. There was a whole huge pine tree in horizontal position on the yard. I was given this cutting tool (like a crescent, with handles in each end) and I had to strip that trunk from its bark. That became a new flag pole.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:33 pm

EP wrote:
but the whole concept seems quite interesting to me strangely. I hope its cooking, because I do that well
Nah, I don´t think it is anything so ordinary. At least it was not for me. There was a whole huge pine tree in horizontal position on the yard. I was given this cutting tool (like a crescent, with handles in each end) and I had to strip that trunk from its bark. That became a new flag pole.
You mean they didn't expect it painted white as well?

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:18 pm

Ep wrote
:shock: what?? wow, they will be waiting at least three weeks for me to complete that task if they gave it to me! * gasp* My nails :shock: just kidding, I dont really care about my nails, can always go back for fake ones after all :lol: .

Maybe they will buy one of those "Do It Yourself" homes from Ikea and as me to assemble that :shock: , or ask me to prepare a gourmet meal for five from one onion, a leak and a potato, or ask me to make an exact replica of the mona lisa , in any case, if they ask me to do something impossible, I will rise to the challenge , but I will also get the message :D
ImageImage