Meeting the parents (help required!!)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
luoto

Post by luoto » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:47 pm

Lefty: if you want sex in a confined place try an elevator, changing room, police cell or lusthus... sauna is not the place.. despite what a few teenagers in a shared housing block think if it is unlocked outside of "warming hours"

Now sex before, or after sauna, is another thing.. And is tradition for many Finnish men to get their Saturday sauna, sex with the wife/gf, then out to the nightclub/restaurant and dream of sex again (not necessarily with the wife/gf).

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:44 pm

luoto wrote:
and dream of sex again (not necessarily with the wife/gf).
:shock: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cry:

I dont want you all to think that I am some sort of sex maniac, I'm not! Its just that in England sex is a very normal and common thing, you do it as much as possible with the one you love of course. I'm not going to disrespect Finnish customs in anyway, if you say no sex in the sauna, then no it is, I will just have to wait. :wink:

RA

Post by RA » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:36 am

Lefty wrote:luoto wrote:
don't piss off the sauna gnomes
:lol: Dont worry about that, I dont like the sauna anyway, whats the point if you go in there to burn to death and on top of all that suffering you dont get an sexual action?
Aah... you've not been to a real FINNISH sauna. That's why. You wait and see :D
Lefty wrote:
make your reindeer run away.....The natural feral man-eating population
what reindeer? :shock: man eating ones? :shock: :(

Didn't you know we all have reindeer in our backyards? :D
Lefty wrote:RA wrote
Lefty my dear, the sauna is a 'holy' place in Finland . No sex and no endless and meaningless talk
why???? no fair! do you just go in there to stare at naked people, burn to death and sweat like mad? that doesn't sound like fun to me or relaxing. you need to spice things up a little, endless banter, lots of sexual activity and open the door once in a while to flush out the air!
No... you need to use a vihta or vasta to spice things up. That's a bunch of leafy birch twigs that you beat yourself up with in the sauna :lol:

But seriously... some little info I copied and pasted for you. There's more info on sauna tradition and bathing on http://www.sauna.fi/pages/traditi.htm

A facility for many functions

Our ancestors did not use their sauna only for bathing. It was needed for drying flax, preparing malts, curing meat and for many other agricultural or domestic chores.

In old times, the sauna was known as the Finnish cure or the poor man's pharmacy. It was also the hospital where folk healers practised their art. They administered baths and massage, and drew blood; cupping was another method to suck bad blood away. The healer woman who went from house to house was a very important person; the darkness of the sauna helped her to develop a power of suggestion over her patient.

The sauna was also a place for performing magic, mostly to do with healing or love affairs. At Whitsuntide and Midsummer the marriageability of young women was improved by special sauna baths; the smell of herbs and birch-leaves hung in the air and the wise woman recited her spells. Sauna baths were also believed to be useful for improving virility.

In the countryside women usually gave birth in the sauna. For example, our long time president Urho Kaleva Kekkonen was born in a smoke sauna in 1900. After a birth the sauna was assigned to the mother as her resting place for several weeks. There were strict rules, strongly influenced by the magic tradition, for the baby's first bath. This was administered by the woman who attended to bathers and also served as a midwife, and it was believed to determine the basic features of the child's future personality.

The sauna was also the place where the dead were prepared for their last journey. The sauna was part of Finnish people's lives literally from cradle to grave.

In defence of the sauna's reputatlon

For a Finn the sauna is sacrosanct. From olden times children were taught to behave in the sauna as if in a church. Sexuality, noisiness and otherwise indecent behaviour never had a place in the sauna. Therefore it has remained uncorrupted for centuries. Men and women bathe together only inside the family; in public saunas they have separate sections or different hours. So a Finn who happens to visit a Central European mixed-sex sauna is likely to be embarrassed, although no indecency may be involved.

Controlled mixed-sex bathing in other countries hardly damages the reputation of the genuine Finnish sauna. What really damages it are the various kinds of massage and entertainment parlours which operate in many countries under red lights and hide behind the name of sauna.

Harmful are also sensational articles ahout the unwholesome effects of the sauna; these occur once in a while even in reputable foreign journals and are usually not based on facts but misinformation.

Finns also tend to get irritated by all sorts of artificial sweat-producing devices which have nothing to do with the sauna but are marketed under the name. These paraphernalia vary from plastic sweating pants to a tent bag which is zipped up to the neck: these can be worn for example in the living room while watching the TV...
source: http://www.sauna.fi/englanti/englanti.html
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:15 am

Lefty wrote:in England sex is a very normal and common thing
Beige - I want the ceiling painted beige.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:34 pm

Bombs!! Bombs in London! :cry: :cry: I am definitely coming to Finland as soon as possible! I dont care if I think life will be sh*t at least it will be safe.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:06 pm

Lefty wrote: at least it will be safe.
Maybe perhaps.
http://www2.helsinginsanomat.fi/english ... 0030409IE7
http://www2.helsinginsanomat.fi/english ... 0021011IE9
Thats my local mall BTW.
Cheers, Hank W.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:54 am

Alright everybody, I have a few piercings :shock: my ears are pierced in the usual way, but I have a brow piercing and an upper ear piercing. Do you think that when I meet my boyfriends parents I should not have any of the jewelery on? or just the two "normal" earrings? they are bound to see that I have these piercings eventually, should I just get it all in the open from the start? or would this create a bad impression? some people find body jewelery offensive, but bear in mind that I have once (once? no, actually on several occasions) worn my brow bar in board meetings and I still have my job! :lol:

RA

Post by RA » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:19 am

Lefty wrote: get it all in the open from the start
You really have nothing to worry about.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:22 am

Jingalingaling, hello mom and dad, meet lefty :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.

RA

Post by RA » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:20 pm

stop! please Hank, you are crackng me up! that is so funny! indeed, you are right, it starts with one, then they build up, but I'm not getting anymore! thanks for changing my mind! :lol:

hiphei

Post by hiphei » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:33 pm

lefty, while you appear to be genuinely in love with your man, consider this as a warning: do not follow a man that tells you obscenities when you are attempting to learn the language - this is a big red X (<-- warning sign)

you may think he loves you, I don't think he does, he will use you for a while and then tell you to move on or cheat on you.

RA

Post by RA » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:26 am

hiphei wrote:lefty, while you appear to be genuinely in love with your man, consider this as a warning: do not follow a man that tells you obscenities when you are attempting to learn the language - this is a big red X (<-- warning sign)

you may think he loves you, I don't think he does, he will use you for a while and then tell you to move on or cheat on you.
??? I know this was intended for Lefty but aren't you being a bit presumptious... he'll use her, cheat on her 'coz he taught her a couple of 'obscene' words in Finnish ???? Ehem :roll: The way people talk in this country I would encourage Lefty to learn all the 'obscene' words she can at least so she knows what people are saying. PERKELE.

EP

Post by EP » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:56 pm

Teaching "dirty" words in Finnish is usually considered a joke, not a sign of loving or not loving.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:01 pm

I do love him!! I would do anything for him, and I would think he loves me to. In a way, I think he loves me so much, that he is teaching me these swear words but in a joking manner. Because if he sat me down and said "Lefty I need to teach you Finnish swear words" I would be scared, think why would I need them. So its his way of informing me, I think........?

RA wrote
PERKELE
I know what that means!! it means "devil" right? and is a big one in Finland, no?