moving to finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sandra Ogbolu

moving to finland

Post by sandra Ogbolu » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Hello everyone am Sandra by name married with 3 kids less than 6 years.Will leave in Italy.my husband intends to come to finland For in search of job.he has 10 years Experience in butcher job and For two years he has being without job since the company close down.please can any one help me out on the area in finland to go and search For job.we really need these job Help

moving to finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

biscayne

Re: moving to finland

Post by biscayne » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:58 pm

In Finland, you have to have a diploma from a certain type of Secondary School to be a butcher. If your husband has some kind of papers to prove he is a trained, qualified butcher, then these papers must be checked by the educational authorities in Finland (nostrificacia). If he is "recognised" as a butcher in Finland, then of course he can come to Finland for 3 months to look for work.

However, in reality, he will probably not get any job without good Finnish language skills.

My information is that butchers earn from 15-20e per hour depending on experience. That is not enough money to support a wife and 3 children in Finland. Generally, Finland is set up on a system of both husband and wife or partners working. 1 family has normally got 2 jobs.

sandra Ogbolu

Post by sandra Ogbolu » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:19 pm

Thank you For Your reply am indeed gratefull
My husband worked in a company Here in italy were they butcher process and package For supply.but he is ready to do any factory job.How can u be of help to us.his learning the Language online

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Additionally to what biscayne wrote:

You cannot get any job without Finnish language skills, even cleaning jobs mostly need you to speak some Finnish. There is already an army of foreigners in Finland without languages skills, desperately looking for jobs that don't exist. And there is another army of foreigners who have decent language skills and still don't find a job.

I'm not sure how the situation with butchers is at the moment, I will ask a friend who will know that. But as biscayne said, your husband will need good language skills anyway.

If he plans on learning the language quickly, then please make him reconsider. It is one of the hardest languages in the world, and to get to a level of B1 skills in order to take the first language exam will take you at the very least half a year, but only if you are very gifted with languages and do nothing else but learn Finnish 24/7 during that time. Much more realistic is a year at least if he is dedicated to it, most people still take much longer.

In order to stay longer than 3 months you need to register your residence in Finland as an EU citizen. For that you need to proof that one of you has a job offer/contract. So you can't just come and learn the language for a year while your kids visit the school and you have health insurance, that is not possible.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:21 pm

wolf80 wrote: In order to stay longer than 3 months you need to register your residence in Finland as an EU citizen. For that you need to proof that one of you has a job offer/contract. So you can't just come and learn the language for a year while your kids visit the school and you have health insurance, that is not possible.
It's possible if they have savings to support themselves.

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:40 pm

How can u be of help to us.his learning the Language online

I don't think anyone can be of help to you. The facts are simple.

If your husband is an EU citizen, he has the right to come to Finland for 3 months to look for a job. During that time he will NOT get any social welfare money from Finland. It should be possible for him to transfer his unemployment benefit from Italy to Finland for 3 months. He needs to arrange that in Italy.

After 3 months, his unemployment benefit from Italy will cease to be paid. If he is an EU citizen, he will not, technically, be made leave Finland but he will have to financially support himself.

He will NOT receive social welfare.

If he does not speak Finnish, it will be difficult to find a job. Based on your post, he is not actually a butcher, but worked in a meat packing or processing factory. There are not many factory jobs in Finland, Finland can and usually does require that employees speak Finnish even for factory jobs where there is no customer contact. It takes from 6 months to 2 years for very motivated people to reach a basic level of Finnish.

Nobody on the forum can stop you coming to Finland, so hopefully you have a lot of money so that you can support yourself. Rent is expensive, and so is everything else in Finland.

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:43 pm

Also, I do not think that the entry level salary for a basic factory worker in Finland, or many countries in Europe would be enough to support a family with 3 children.

sandra Ogbolu

Post by sandra Ogbolu » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:43 pm

Thank u once again for the advice