Unemployment coverage without the Kela card

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
bearoness

Post by bearoness » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Hello!
I come from within the EU and have been in Finland for more than a year doing here my erasmus exchange. During this time I registered with the police and received my permit. I didn't register with the maistraatti because I have been granted my finnish sociql security number while registering at the police and was under the impression that I didn't need it (that the police was enough). I also rented a family apartment with my Finnish partner where we lived for 10 months. After my exchange period was over, I went back to my home country to finish all my business there before permanently moving back to Finland to start my life with my partner. We moved to the capital region for his studies and we started renting out a family apartment again. In the meantime I have been searching for a job but was unsuccessful for 4 months. Here I learnt that registering with the maistraatti was necessary so that's what I did. However, my personal savings are running low and my partner is studying so I cannot expect him to pay for everything so I started looking for some help. I visited the Kela offices where I was told to fill in an application for the social security (form y77e) and wait. So wait I did and finally their response came: we cqnt register you because we believe that your stay isn't permanent (you don't have a job and cohabitation to be seen as lawful must last longer than 6 months - no indication that if it lasted longer then they would register me). Stupidly enough I only put information that we have lived together since this new apartment as we haven't lived together while I was back in my country. I have appealed from their decision showing the documents confirming that we had lived together for more than 6 months but I'm still waiting for the response. A week ago I have registered as an unemployed person at the TE-palvelut and have been told that I would be contacted about my situation within two weeks (still have time) but I'm worrying that the Kela's refusal means no help from TE as well.
Has anyone had any experience and could tell me whether TE office and their services are still available to me no matter what Kela decides? And can a proven cohabitation (not marriage) of more than a year (with a 6 month break due to finishing of my own studies back in my home country) be enough for the Kela to grant me the social security services?
Thank you very much for taking the time to read it and for your help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

TeppoKroatialainen

Re: Unemployment coverage without the Kela card

Post by TeppoKroatialainen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:38 am

They should take into account the times living together before this flat.

However there is a little detail that can couse you problem. And that is a REASON why did you came in Finland in the first place. If you come to Finland with a reason to study then you dont have equal rights to kela card. (my freestyle explanation)

But if your reason to come to Finland is to live with your partner (but the erasmus excahnge grant money was just the means to make the ends and two loved ones meet :D ) that in theory changes things. So in your maybe next appeal if neccesary thell them that :thumbsup:

TE should give you ''services'' i think even without kela card, but you dont get anything form them except the status of ''job seeker'' kela is the one giving the money.

Good luck

bearoness

Post by bearoness » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks for your reply!

My Erasmus exchange was due to wanting to be closer to my Finnish partner, but it was last year. This year I made the move more permanent (but that depends on how long I have to take to get a job, nobody has unlimited savings to spend however long searching :( ).

Is the cohabitation treated on the same basis as marriage by Kela?

Stamina86

Post by Stamina86 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 pm

The TE services are completely useless. I registered with them in April 2015 and it that time they offered very little help.

I don't know how you'll take this but don't go looking for handouts. If you can't find work here then do what I and others have done if you're broke and go back to your home country, save and come back. If your boyfriend loves you he will understand totally. I have a Finnish child to pay for and I give him all I can. I can't even afford to eat at times (not an exaggeration) because he comes first.And no matter how hungry I get, I will never attempt to use Kela.

Sounds harsh but many Finns I know would say the same.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:36 am

Going without food, because you choose to act like a martyr, rather than accept some help from KELA is by far the stupidest thing I've read. KELA is there to help you, if you need it.

Even if you want to be a martyr and not get some financial aid from KELA, you can contact your social services office. They will have a department which deals with people who need some financial aid, as in one off payments. Things like vouchers for groceries, helping to pay for your child's activities etc. You take in your bank statements, rent etc. They can see what your situation is like and will most likely offer you a one off helping hand. You can't really abuse it though. There are loser unemployed junkies etc, who abuse the system to get house electronics etc paid, over and over and over. You don't have to be a Finnish Citizen to get this help. I don't think you can get it if you are foreign student. But if you have a normal Resident Permit, you can.

Oh and the Lutheran Church, it also will help. They won't give you cash, but if you have some bills you can't pay (like electricity etc, not rent or big stuff), they will pay them for you, if you ask, as a one off. They will also give food vouchers too. You don't have to be a part of the church to get this help.

Stamina86

Post by Stamina86 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Chosing to be a martyr? Not at all. It's not leaching off resources I personally feel I am not entitled to. I wonder how many foreigners are actually claiming money through the system? A lot I'm sure. What makes it worse is Finland is in financial difficulty. I am not sure if you have children or not but I aim to set a good example to mine and that includes not having to rely on a system I've not paid much into. I hope my son never will.

Don't come here to if you can't afford to live.

leisl

Post by leisl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Stamina86 wrote:Chosing to be a martyr? Not at all. It's not leaching off resources I personally feel I am not entitled to. I wonder how many foreigners are actually claiming money through the system? A lot I'm sure. What makes it worse is Finland is in financial difficulty. I am not sure if you have children or not but I aim to set a good example to mine and that includes not having to rely on a system I've not paid much into. I hope my son never will.

Don't come here to if you can't afford to live.
This is a very prejudiced and selfish attitude.

There are not masses of people claiming money through the Kela system who are not entitled to it - in fact, there are zero.

Those who are able to get Kela assistance are entitled to it, generally because they, or a member of their family, are contributors to the Finnish tax system. Quite frankly, your attitude reeks of the American idea of "pay your own dang way", you know the kind that if you haven't got money for health care insurance or medication, you die of a treatable disease like diabetes. The kind that prevents women making their own reproduction choices with some garbage concept of being pro-life, but then calls them welfare whores when it's time to feed the kid. Basically pours shame on people who are in need. The civilised world looks down on those attitudes and thinks... "scum"...

Hate to break it to you, but in Finland we consider it a basic human right to have food to eat, warm clothing, a roof over one's head, health care and education. If you're not into egalitarianism, why even live here? There are places where you can get a better education for less money or keep more of your paycheque, and you won't be required to help those pesky, greedy, needy people who have cancer.

Oh and I feel horribly sorry for your poor children. I'm sure they will suffer, feel guilty and not dare tell you the truth if they even fall on hard times and need assistance. You will have successfully trained them to feel ashamed of what would be rightfully theirs.

Fennec

Post by Fennec » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:18 pm

bearoness wrote:A week ago I have registered as an unemployed person at the TE-palvelut and have been told that I would be contacted about my situation within two weeks (still have time) but I'm worrying that the Kela's refusal means no help from TE as well.
My position was similar to yours when I arrived, but about the TE-palvelut...
Don't stress too much, I did that mistake and it's not worthy! They also told me I would be contacted via phone or email within two weeks and I would have to wait at least 6 months for a language course (back in november 2015). So I was registered as job seeker, but since they've had plenty of enquiries at that time, it would have taken two months to be contacted. Months have passed by, my application was still pending, I kept calling and their answer was always the same.
Last time I called them a very nice woman from another office told me my name was not even registered and all of that was just nonsense, she suggested me to go to the office and bring my partner. After a long discussion with my partner they admitted my application was lost and I had to register again, and I would have been contacted in 2 months. That didn't happen of course :D
I guess I was unlucky. I have met people that like me weren't sure about their status, and others that were contacted right after a week having submitted their application. So I wish you luck!

If your partner is not working, and you have no intention of getting merried, I see it very difficult to rely on Kela. But that's not the end of the world.
Right now it's very difficult to find a good job, especially if you don't have relevant studies and/or you don't speak the language. So think about to search for seasonal jobs in other countries and then come back with some savings, and don't be ashamed of simple jobs like babysitting, petsitting, cleaning.. And if you plan to remain in Finland with your partner then try to make up a good plan, invest on the language or try to get into a vocational school.

I know people coming in Finland because of a partner, with the same idea in their head from day 1 "I don't like finland and I don't speak finnish but I'm going to register at the TE and get my unemployment money" and that's not the right attitude.