Moving to finland from the US. What are the requirements?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
wizardsof12

Post by wizardsof12 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:24 am

I have been thinking of moving to Finland for a while, but I still have questions.

Information on me:
I will be 18 by august this year. I have had web development experience from 3 years in the IT CTE pathway (HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Jquery). I have competed in the regional CyberNexs (Hosted by Leidos) final tournament (CyberNexs SoCal) last year. I have reasonable knowledge of Linux systems (Use and tweak Debian on a daily basis for roughly 4 years, although I have gotten a taste of RHEL and Fedora a while back while in the preliminary rounds of the tournament mentioned before), and know a bit of Java and C++ (mostly Arduino flavor, got a lot of that from one of my hobbies). I have (some) knowledge of electronics, although not professionally verifiable). I have an admiration for Finnish culture, language, and the nation in general, in addition to the IT boom in Finland I have been hearing about. I have not had official employment, although I have done a few odd jobs, nothing to really put on a resume though, just fixing PCs in my neighborhood and stuff. I have been a notorious "dumpster diver" :lol: , scavenging and salvaging things that people dump to the curb, usually electronics.

So my questions are:
-What are my chances of finding employment in the IT fields in Finland, and which cities have the companies likely to hire me?
-Which of those cities or areas have a reasonable or relatively inexpensive cost of living?
-What do the said companies usually look for when hiring?
-Roughly how much money should I save to take with me when I do leave?
-Where should I file paperwork for a residency permit, should I do it with the consulate or there in Finland?
-Am I insane for considering Finland?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Moving to finland from the US. What are the requirements

Post by rinso » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 am

wizardsof12 wrote:I have been thinking of moving to Finland for a while, but I still have questions.

Information on me:
I will be 18 by august this year. I have had web development experience from 3 years in the IT CTE pathway (HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Jquery). I have competed in the regional CyberNexs (Hosted by Leidos) final tournament (CyberNexs SoCal) last year. I have reasonable knowledge of Linux systems (Use and tweak Debian on a daily basis for roughly 4 years, although I have gotten a taste of RHEL and Fedora a while back while in the preliminary rounds of the tournament mentioned before), and know a bit of Java and C++ (mostly Arduino flavor, got a lot of that from one of my hobbies). I have (some) knowledge of electronics, although not professionally verifiable). I have an admiration for Finnish culture, language, and the nation in general, in addition to the IT boom in Finland I have been hearing about. I have not had official employment, although I have done a few odd jobs, nothing to really put on a resume though, just fixing PCs in my neighborhood and stuff. I have been a notorious "dumpster diver" :lol: , scavenging and salvaging things that people dump to the curb, usually electronics.
-What are my chances of finding employment in the IT fields in Finland, and which cities have the companies likely to hire me?
Based on what you write, your chances are low.
-What do the said companies usually look for when hiring?
Degrees, experience (in official jobs) and Finnish language.
-Where should I file paperwork for a residency permit, should I do it with the consulate or there in Finland?
www.migri.fi
-Am I insane for considering Finland?
Only if you expect an easy ride.