Moving to Finland and starting Finnish language course.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Nassanael

Post by Nassanael » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Hello everyone.

I cant get informations I need anywhere and I discovered this forum.
So.Me and my girlfrien are planning to move to Finland but before everything else we want to start finnish language course. We were in job center in Finland so we know we can do this and we know how. We just need information about benefits on this course. Can we get benefits to live? And how long we have to wait for it? Because we want to prepare ourselves,have money for everything etc.
If You need any more informations to answer to my questiones just ask. If I can find informations I need somewhere else in the forum link me and sorry.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PJG

Re: Moving to Finland and starting Finnish language course.

Post by PJG » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Citizen of which country?

Living where?

Residence permit status if non-EU citizen?

You can't move here, with no job, no way to support yourself financially, get access to a language course and claim benefits while you attend it.

Life doesn't work that way.

What exactly do you expect anyway? Free money?

Nassanael

Post by Nassanael » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 am

I am from Poland. I am working here. My girlfriend was on erasmus in Finland. She wants to continue studying there and I want to work there because we like Finland. We really do. But in job center they told us there is no work for someone without finnish so we can start a full time language course,5days per week,7hours per day. So we cant have job in this situation,can we? Im not not expecting free money man,I know how to work for myself. So everything they told us in job center was fake or we are just naive? Or what? You cant register yourself as a jobseeker,learn finnish on course and have benefits from kela to live? Just answer to this. Or maybe if we cant do this can You link me to somewhere I can find job in english,maybe in Helsinki?

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi,

Ok you are an EU citizen yes? So you can register with migri as an EU citizen but to qualify for residence card you need to show them that you can support yourself! Example money in your Bank or a job! You can't just come into Finland and receive social benefits! I 'm an EU citizen so can I just go to Poland and get housing and social benefits from the Government ? I don't think so!

podzap

Post by podzap » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:42 am

There are jobs in the IT and Telecom sectors for people who can't speak Finnish - I work with a lot of those people. If you are skilled in those areas, then you might be able to get a job. When I moved here, I didn't speak one word of Finnish.

I applied for 3 jobs before I moved to Finland, and received an employment offer from one of them. After I accepted the offer, I went to the Finnish consulate in the country where I was living and made a residence application. After my residence application was approved, I moved to Finland. I worked full-time during the day and attended language courses at Helsinki University during the evening. Some employers will even let you attend during working hours, as happened to me when I was attending advanced language courses during my second job here.

Don't even think about trying to come here on benefits, though. Not going to happen.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Nassanael wrote:You cant register yourself as a jobseeker,learn finnish on course and have benefits from kela to live? Just answer to this.
It's only possible if you are already in the system or don't need the benefits in the first place. You can however have Polish benefits paid to you while seeking for a job in Finland.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... dex_en.htm

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:11 pm

betelgeuse wrote: You can however have Polish benefits paid to you while seeking for a job in Finland.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... dex_en.htm
For 3 months :wink:

Tiituli

Post by Tiituli » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:42 pm

I am quite surprised at PJG and BM50. Why are you assuming the worst of someone who is doing his/her due diligence and simply asking questions to try and learn? I have seen this attitude several times among my fellow Finns. Like, someone must be a naive idiot for thinking it possible to live there. Let's make a name for ourselves as gracious, compassionate, generous, and helpful. Can this world - any party of it - afford anything less than that?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Welcome to FinlandForum, Tiituli.

Hang around for a while and you will realise that there are trolls on here as on any other social media platform. Unfortunately, that insidious and relentless stream of negativity has led to more open-minded people (not just Finns) drifting away from the Forum which is why 'they' are gaining ground and it's how 'they' always get their voices heard.

I think you are right: this forum would be a nicer place if more people were gracious, compassionate, generous and helpful. Finns and foreigners.