Hoping to naturalize

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
italosuomalainen

Hoping to naturalize

Post by italosuomalainen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Hei kaikki,

I just now joined the forum. I'm an Italian citizen living and working in Helsinki. Most recently, I've been here for three years, but I also lived here as a teenager for four years.

Last August, I applied for Finnish citizenship. I've occasionally checked my application status since then. A few weeks ago, my application seems to have advanced to "käsittelyssä".

Does anyone here know what kind of processing times I can anticipate once my application has proceeded this far? I suspect that because summer is here, this will slow down processing considerably...

When I lived in Finland as a teenager, I was here as the child of a diplomat. Thus, I'm not sure whether my residence back then counts towards the total number of years required. I'm unsure what status diplomats and their families have when it comes to counting residence. To apply for citizenship, I understand that one needs to have resided here for five years in a row - or seven years total since the age of 15, which is what would apply to my case...if they count those years back then.

I hope that "oleskelu" counts no matter what the circumstance of the oleskelu was - but I have no way to know for certain. Does anybody here know? Also, it would seem obvious that if the law states "seven years residence total since age 15", that at 15, I had no influence on the circumstances why I lived here!

If anyone here knows how Migri applies the law to cases like mine, I would be grateful for your advice.

(Yes, I speak Finnish. I passed both keskitaso and ylin taso YKI exams at high enough level, so I have the language requirements.)

Hoping to naturalize

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Hoping to naturalize

Post by tavastia » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:18 am

Processing can take from 1 day to month's depending on the case. If you don't quality for interrupted period of residence then last 3 years is not enough, you need 4.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:29 pm

italosuomalainen wrote:If anyone here knows how Migri applies the law to cases like mine, I would be grateful for your advice.
Migri uses the population register as the primary data source.

Piet

Post by Piet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:56 pm

You say child of a diplomat, does that mean you were living at the Italian embassy residence? in that case you might have a problem because that is considered Italian soil and therefore you were not actually living in Finland (theoretically).

I am very interested in how this is considered by the law.

Please keep us informed of the outcome, best of luck!
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Piet wrote:You say child of a diplomat, does that mean you were living at the Italian embassy residence? in that case you might have a problem because that is considered Italian soil and therefore you were not actually living in Finland (theoretically).
This soil argument is popular fiction, not fact.
So, although it makes for amusing television, embassies are not foreign soil. They remain part of the territory of the receiving state, but are subject to significant privileges in accordance with diplomatic law.
http://olbrychtpalmer.net/2016/04/07/ar ... -soil.html

italosuomalainen

Post by italosuomalainen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:01 pm

tavastia wrote:Processing can take from 1 day to month's depending on the case. If you don't quality for interrupted period of residence then last 3 years is not enough, you need 4.
IF the laws on record are applied, then my time in Finland as a teen should count:

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... #a359-2003

However, I do not know how much freedom Migri officials have in interpreting the law...

italosuomalainen

Post by italosuomalainen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Piet wrote:You say child of a diplomat, does that mean you were living at the Italian embassy residence? in that case you might have a problem because that is considered Italian soil and therefore you were not actually living in Finland (theoretically).

I am very interested in how this is considered by the law.

Please keep us informed of the outcome, best of luck!
My family and I were not living at the Italian Embassy Residence (only the ambassador and his/her family lives there). We were renting a house in the Helsinki city area.

I'm unsure whether the Italian Embassy - embassies in general - are actually considered exclaves.