Moving to Finland for job - what are the steps?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Paulius G

Post by Paulius G » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 pm

Hellow,
I will move to Finland from other EU country for my new job. I have signed the employment contract with Finnish company. Do I understand correctly that these are the steps to take in this order:
1) I go to IntoFinland office in Helsinki to receive Finnish ID (I understand its kind of temporary or something?)
2) I rent the apartment. I understand that without Finnish ID I cannot rent any apartment in Finland?
3) After I have rented apartment, I complete migri.fi form regarding EU country's citizen right to reside online and go there later;
4) Afterwards I go to Maistraati for registering myself;
5) Afterwards I go to some bank and open account.
Please correct me if I am wrong on something.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

theelephantmum

Re: Moving to Finland for job - what are the steps?

Post by theelephantmum » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:45 pm

1. Print your contract, you'll need it in almost every step.
2. Go to Immigration services (www.migri.fi), show your contract and get registered as resident. This may take 1-2 days. The registration is immediate unless they turn you away - they shouldn't if you have a contract.
3. Go to Maistraatti with contract AND registration from immigration and get a Finnish ID number (social security number) << this you'll need to do almost everything, from renting an apartment, to open a bank account. This may take few days.
4. With social security number and contract as proof of employment you can rent an apartment: it may take few months to find one. You can start by renting a furnished apartment for the first few months (ex. forenom), they have much more relaxed requirements.
5. With the soc.sec.no. you can also open the bank account.

If you want healthcare coverage you also need to request a Kela card (kela.fi, you need a social sec. no.)
:sun: My blog on parenting, adoption & living in Finland >> theelephantmum.wordpress.com :sun:
Instagram: @theelephantmum

betelgeuse

Re: Moving to Finland for job - what are the steps?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:29 pm

theelephantmum wrote:3. Go to Maistraatti with contract AND registration from immigration and get a Finnish ID number (social security number) << this you'll need to do almost everything, from renting an apartment, to open a bank account. This may take few days.
It's a personal identity code, not a social security number. Having a personal identity code does not imply access to social security.