gift ideas for my girlfriend family

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ahmdahmed

Post by ahmdahmed » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm visiting my Finnish girlfriend and looking for gifts ideas to get for her family (i'm from Egypt)
any ideas?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: gift ideas for my girlfriend family

Post by wolf80 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:05 pm

ahmdahmed wrote:I'm visiting my Finnish girlfriend and looking for gifts ideas to get for her family (i'm from Egypt)
any ideas?
Hard to say, maybe ask your girlfriend what her family likes?

Just don't expect too much, Finns often don't react much to presents, they just look at them shortly, say thank you and put them aside. Even if they really love the present they probably will not show it, and you could easily get the feeling that they didn't like the gift or ignored it. It's just the Finnish way.

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:46 am

Ha ha, yes I can actually relate to this - I know it's not right to stereotype, but Finns in general don't seem to be the most enthusiastic recipients of gifts! I spent ages picking out a gift of a fairly expensive Marimekko bag for a 70th birthday, which I was not able to attend, but sent on with attending guests. The gift was never even acknowledged. This type of things has happened to me several times, not an isolated incident.

Another thing is that I found there is no point in making "flowery" gestures, even if you think you are being polite (I was raised by a mother who believed in extreme politeness...) I was working for a company last summer in Helsinki. Very nice place to work. I was basically alone for July. There was a small kitchen. I used to make my coffee each day and used what was there as that is what they had been doing and seemingly the company paid for the coffee, they did not "chip in" like in a lot of places. But noticed they used a fancy brand of coffee and filters. So I replaced them and left a note. When they all came back, they said the company pays and I should not have done that and take it home! Almost like they were annoyed!

Also, just bring something simple - a box of good dates or something like that. Finns don't give or expect over the top gifts. At a 50th last year, the person got hand knitted socks, some reindeer meat and a few bottles of wine. It is nice that ridiculous gifts are not given or expected.

theelephantmum

Post by theelephantmum » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Ahaha yes, true, expect close to no reaction or even embarrassment! However, I wouldn't say they don't expect gifts. I was taught that when you visit a Finnish house you are always expected to bring something - flowers, a bottle of wine, chocolate. This has been confirmed every time my Finnish guests visited me, even when I insisted it was an informal evening. So please do not go empty-handed! But I agree you don't need anything special, I think your girlfriend can be the best adviser.
Good luck!
:sun: My blog on parenting, adoption & living in Finland >> theelephantmum.wordpress.com :sun:
Instagram: @theelephantmum