working in tampere?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
petertohen

working in tampere?

Post by petertohen » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:19 am

this might sound really daft, but i have a job offer in tampere.

and tampere to me, seems really like a town that is perfect for families but not for single party girl like me. i'm still very much enjoy the bustle and hustle of city life.

hence, im really considering in renting an apartment in helsinki and travel by train to tampere for work.

is this advisable or too much trouble? how much more expensive are apartments in helsinki compared to tampere.

thanks in advance.

http://study.unipolitampere.fi/working/jobhunting.html

working in tampere?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: working in tampere?

Post by heretostay » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 am

Tampere is very much a city. It is growing fast and has an active nightlife. I used to live there and have family there (some of whom are young, single party girls too).

mdn

Post by mdn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:17 am

In case of such decision - you can consider Hämeenlinna or some other place in between.

Anyway I do not think you will be so enjoying 'the bustle and hustle of city life' for Helsinki after 2 hours on the road daily (one way of course, so 4 hours altogether - if you are lucky and no need to travel a lot in Tampere/Helsinki locally).

Rent is much higher in Helsinki.

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 am

Hi. I have just finished doing a master's degree in Tampere while living in Helsinki, well Espoo actually.

The train takes 1.5 hours if you take the Pendelino one. Sometimes there are offers for 10 tickets at 99euro, but generally the price is about 15e each way. Expensive. Onnibus, a cheap service, is really cheap, but 2.5 hours.......

The commute took a toll on me. I gained about 3 kilos from boredom on the bus/train even though I read and studied. I ate sweets...... I hated the ultra early mornings. If you rent a flat near the train station in Helsinki and your job is near the station in Tampere, ok. But if you need a bus to the station in Helsinki and then to work in Tampere it will be terrible. You also have a lot less free time. Less time for exercise, shopping for and cooking healthy foods etc. It is doable for a certain period, but not long term.

As for Tampere. I am 40+, but I still hates it. I would die if I lived there. In Finland, for me personally, Helsinki is the only place I could live. I need the city/nature combo but Tampere was just not for me.

Living in Hamenlinna???? Seriously.......

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 am

Hi. I have just finished doing a master's degree in Tampere while living in Helsinki, well Espoo actually.

The train takes 1.5 hours if you take the Pendelino one. Sometimes there are offers for 10 tickets at 99euro, but generally the price is about 15e each way. Expensive. Onnibus, a cheap service, is really cheap, but 2.5 hours.......

The commute took a toll on me. I gained about 3 kilos from boredom on the bus/train even though I read and studied. I ate sweets...... I hated the ultra early mornings. If you rent a flat near the train station in Helsinki and your job is near the station in Tampere, ok. But if you need a bus to the station in Helsinki and then to work in Tampere it will be terrible. You also have a lot less free time. Less time for exercise, shopping for and cooking healthy foods etc. It is doable for a certain period, but not long term.

As for Tampere. I am 40+, but I still hates it. I would die if I lived there. In Finland, for me personally, Helsinki is the only place I could live. I need the city/nature combo but Tampere was just not for me.

Living in Hamenlinna???? Seriously.......