What is the right way ?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Blessedbaby

What is the right way ?

Post by Blessedbaby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi everyone! I am New to the forum and have been reading and gathering information.
I am a non - EU national & my partner is a Finnish citizen.
He is divorced once & I have a child from a previous relationship (not married)
We know each other for the past 8 years but have never met as both of us were studying & working in other countries.
We reconnected after both our relationships broke down 2 yrs ago.
He is playing an active part in my son's life & helping out with finances even though he doesn't need to.
So we want to get married BUT I don't want to go to Finland on a Visa to marry because that would stop me from coming back to my country where I live with my son till I get a resident permit. There is also a high chance that my application will be rejected & I will not be allowed back in Finland again.
The marriage will also not look genuine as we would be meeting the first time.
So I have decided that the best way to go about it would be to - 1. Visit each other on Tourist visas a couple of times. 2 Get married outside Finland (in my country) 3. Then I apply for a resident permit from my country while he waits in Finland for me to get it. 4. After I get it I move to Finland to be with my husband & a) Get a job that pays enough to sponsor my son to come to live with us in Finland or b) Study and learn Finnish & get citizenship & then apply for my son to come to live with us in Finland.

My partner is not too happy with my plan as he knows many people who got married to their wives after they (wives) came to the country on Tourist visa & were given Resident Permit within a year. My way takes a lot longer, maybe 4-5 years.

Would appreciate your input. Sorry in advance if my thoughts are scrambled in the post.

What is the right way ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

bm50
AKA cockney

Re: What is the right way ?

Post by bm50 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:19 pm

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Blessedbaby

Post by Blessedbaby » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:55 am

Thanks! This makes it much more clearer.

mexfin18

Post by mexfin18 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Blessedbaby wrote:Hi everyone! I am New to the forum and have been reading and gathering information.
I am a non - EU national & my partner is a Finnish citizen.
He is divorced once & I have a child from a previous relationship (not married)
We know each other for the past 8 years but have never met as both of us were studying & working in other countries.
We reconnected after both our relationships broke down 2 yrs ago.
He is playing an active part in my son's life & helping out with finances even though he doesn't need to.
So we want to get married BUT I don't want to go to Finland on a Visa to marry because that would stop me from coming back to my country where I live with my son till I get a resident permit. There is also a high chance that my application will be rejected & I will not be allowed back in Finland again.
The marriage will also not look genuine as we would be meeting the first time.
So I have decided that the best way to go about it would be to - 1. Visit each other on Tourist visas a couple of times. 2 Get married outside Finland (in my country) 3. Then I apply for a resident permit from my country while he waits in Finland for me to get it. 4. After I get it I move to Finland to be with my husband & a) Get a job that pays enough to sponsor my son to come to live with us in Finland or b) Study and learn Finnish & get citizenship & then apply for my son to come to live with us in Finland.

My partner is not too happy with my plan as he knows many people who got married to their wives after they (wives) came to the country on Tourist visa & were given Resident Permit within a year. My way takes a lot longer, maybe 4-5 years.

Would appreciate your input. Sorry in advance if my thoughts are scrambled in the post.
Hi
Can't you married under visa time and apply RP and go back after visa time to your home country and wait for decision? Why would they stop you going home to wait? bm50 can you answer these questions? Thanks :D

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:22 pm

18. I have submitted an application for a residence permit in Finland. May I leave Finland and then return to Finland to await my decision?
Yes, you may, if a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) grants you a visa or if you can return visa-free. Please remember that you will not necessarily be granted a visa for the purpose of returning to Finland.
The Finnish mission decides whether to grant you a visa or not. If the mission does not grant you a visa or you for some other reason are unable to return to Finland, you will be informed of your residence permit decision by the Finnish mission.

The above information is from the Migri website, Finnish immigration service.

hiworld

Post by hiworld » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:30 pm

hi

i agree
Can't you married under visa time and apply RP and go back after visa time to your home country and wait for decision? Why would they stop you going home to wait?
if you marry to finnish citizen, there should very low chance that your RP would be denied and i dont think immigrant would stop you going home. so why dont you wait for your RP result at your home country, until RP is granted then you can return to finland with your RP and no need visa

Blessedbaby

Post by Blessedbaby » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:03 pm

bm50 wrote:18. I have submitted an application for a residence permit in Finland. May I leave Finland and then return to Finland to await my decision?
Yes, you may, if a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) grants you a visa or if you can return visa-free. Please remember that you will not necessarily be granted a visa for the purpose of returning to Finland.
The Finnish mission decides whether to grant you a visa or not. If the mission does not grant you a visa or you for some other reason are unable to return to Finland, you will be informed of your residence permit decision by the Finnish mission.

The above information is from the Migri website, Finnish immigration service.
So I can return but there is no guarantee that I will be given RP.
But yes, I would prefer to wait in my own country for the RP decision as I am working here and my child goes to school.

Blessedbaby

Post by Blessedbaby » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:14 pm

hiworld wrote:hi

i agree
Can't you married under visa time and apply RP and go back after visa time to your home country and wait for decision? Why would they stop you going home to wait?
if you marry to finnish citizen, there should very low chance that your RP would be denied and i dont think immigrant would stop you going home. so why dont you wait for your RP result at your home country, until RP is granted then you can return to finland with your RP and no need visa

That's reassuring!! It would be best I think to wait in my home country. It's the 5% chance of not getting the RP that keeps me worried! My husband is gonna be mad if it gets rejected. All the people he knows in real life who have married a foreigner have got it. I'm hoping the same happens to us. I keep reminding myself to think positive.