Moving_residing_studying

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Dora_Ray

Moving_residing_studying

Post by Dora_Ray » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello,
I will be moving to Finland with my 9 years old son.
The reason: I love everything that Finland stands for and want to be a part of this country.
I am an EU citizen.
I have sufficient savings to modestly support myself for about 6 months.
I also want to enroll into the university program soon after my arrival.
My question: do I qualify for a student loan? Is there any financial support for single mothers? Is housing subsitised?

"Do not fear death but rather un-lived life. You don't have to live forever. You just have to live"
Tuck Everlasting

Moving_residing_studying

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: Moving_residing_studying

Post by wolf80 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Dora_Ray wrote:Hello,
I will be moving to Finland with my 9 years old son.
The reason: I love everything that Finland stands for and want to be a part of this country.
I am an EU citizen.
I have sufficient savings to modestly support myself for about 6 months.
I also want to enroll into the university program soon after my arrival.
My question: do I qualify for a student loan? Is there any financial support for single mothers? Is housing subsitised?
Why do you think you would get money from a country where you did not pay anything into the system??

As an EU citizen you can come to Finland and stay for 3 months without registration. Obviously you do not get any money out of the social security system, you need health insurance from your home country.

If you want to come as a student you need to be accepted to a Finnish university. Then you can register your right of residence (as an EU citizen) if you can prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your studies (and your son). You are still not covered by the Finnish social security system, but by your home country! You might get cheaper student accommodation, or you might not. There are normally more applicants than rooms. With you son this might be much harder as you would need bigger living arrangements.

Read for example:
http://www.migri.fi/registration
https://www.utu.fi/en/studying/info-acc ... rance.aspx

You do not seem to know much about Finland. Why do you want to come here then??

rinso

Re: Moving_residing_studying

Post by rinso » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 am

To get "into the computer" (being registered as a residence) you need a reason and money. If the reason is study then you will not get any financial support.
And money for 6 months probably isn't enough to get you registered. There is a simple rule of thumb; "if you need social security support you don't fulfill the requirements".