Elderly EU parent temporary stay in Finland, healthcare etc

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:18 pm

I am considering bringing my elderly (British) mother over to Finland for 1-2 months. She has health problems and has several repeat prescriptions running in the UK. Assuming I can solve the meds issue, am I right in thinking she could stay for up to three months in Finland and have access to the Finnish healthcare system using her European Health Insurance Card? She does not need regular treatment from a doctor/nurse, just medication. It is possible that she would not even need to see a doctor, except in an emergency.

Does anyone have first-hand experience of bringing an elderly parent here? What additional private insurance cover did you use?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Elderly EU parent temporary stay in Finland, healthcare

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 am

Rosamunda wrote:I am considering bringing my elderly (British) mother over to Finland for 1-2 months. She has health problems and has several repeat prescriptions running in the UK. Assuming I can solve the meds issue, am I right in thinking she could stay for up to three months in Finland and have access to the Finnish healthcare system using her European Health Insurance Card?
She can.
Rosamunda wrote:Does anyone have first-hand experience of bringing an elderly parent here? What additional private insurance cover did you use?
It will be hard to find good plans for the following reasons:
  • They tend to exclude pre-existing conditions
  • They have age limits

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks for the confirmation.

She is a retired civil servant so has managed to get travel insurance in the past through the civil service insurance co. Actually, once you hit 80 the insurance companies don't consider you to be such a huge risk anymore. But it is something I will have to figure out.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Rosamunda wrote:She is a retired civil servant so has managed to get travel insurance in the past through the civil service insurance co. Actually, once you hit 80 the insurance companies don't consider you to be such a huge risk anymore. But it is something I will have to figure out.
The main thing you want covered is repatriation. Otherwise she can get stuck in a Finnish hospital.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Yes. That's my understanding too.