Can I find part time jobs while i study??

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Rockalbert

Post by Rockalbert » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm

I'm gonna come to Finland to study,Can I find part time jobs while i study??
If so , how much will they pay,and what kind of jobs are available....
Thank you

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Can I find part time jobs while i study??

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:28 pm

1- Yes.
2- An amount of money that is reasonable based on the job.
3- Finland is a modern western country, so pretty much all kinds of jobs are available.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:04 am

Getting the job, aka being the best applicant, is the hard part.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

ruusu25

Post by ruusu25 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Working part-time while studying is fairly common. If you're an EU citizen, you'll have no restrictions on how much you can work while studying. If you're from outside the EU and are granted a residence permit based on your studies, you can work a maximum of 25 hours per week on average at any job not related to your studies.

Learning Finnish will give you the best chance at finding a job, but there are also several things you can do in English. Some restaurant and cafe chains like Fafa's and La Torrefazione hire non-Finnish speakers, and many disabled people are willing to take on non-Finnish-speaking personal assistants (the job title in Finnish is henkilökohtainen avustaja). Check out the TE-palvelut website for positions like that.

For some restaurant jobs (mostly at foreign-owned establishments), you can even ask in person if they're hiring. If you're in the capital region, you could try some restaurants in the neighborhood of Helsinki called Kallio, especially on Vaasankatu. You can also try your luck at the restaurants on the 5th floor and the E floor of the Kamppi shopping center. Lots of mostly English-speaking staff there.

You could also ask people in your department at the university if there are any research assistant or course assistant positions available to someone with the knowledge and skills you already have. That would give you experience in your field, pay better than the part-time work I've mentioned above, and also not count toward the hour limit imposed by the student residence permit, as you can work degree-related jobs with no restrictions.

Finally, keep your eyes on this forum as well as job-seeking Facebook groups for specific positions open to foreigners. You'll mostly find jobs in childcare or cleaning on offer, but other things do pop up.

Good luck!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:47 pm

ruusu25 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:29 pm
You could also ask people in your department at the university if there are any research assistant or course assistant positions available to someone with the knowledge and skills you already have. That would give you experience in your field, pay better than the part-time work I've mentioned above, and also not count toward the hour limit imposed by the student residence permit, as you can work degree-related jobs with no restrictions.
You need to be getting study credits for the work in order for the exception to apply
4) jonka oleskelulupa on myönnetty opiskelua varten, jos:

a) työ on tutkintoon sisältyvää työharjoittelua tai opintoihin sisältyvän lopputyön tekemistä ansiotyönä;

b) työn määrä tasoittuu keskimäärin 25 tuntiin viikossa aikana, jolloin oppilaitoksessa järjestetään varsinaista opetusta; tai

c) kokoaikainen työ sijoittuu aikaan, jolloin oppilaitoksessa ei järjestetä varsinaista opetusta;
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 0301#L5P78