learning finnish

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
emimi

Post by emimi » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:00 am

Maybe you could make a summer holiday trip to the neighbours and take part in some language course - those Hungarians always have the magic Fenno-Ugric connection and there are many language courses and I guess it would be way easier to find a private teacher, too.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mad_ant

Post by mad_ant » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:54 am

yeah could go visit my mom's relatives..i'm partly hungarian 8) ..but unfortunately very poor language skills
i guess it's easier for u to learn finnish since it's closer to hungarian and there are "cultural ties" between the 2 countries
i'm gonna check things out in august when i'll be in budapest for sziget fest
thx 4 the tip

emimi

Post by emimi » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:43 pm

Actually I'm a Finn who learnt Hungarian ;) But yes, the language connection (though a very far one, similarities are only in grammar and the rythm of the language + those very few similar words) helped me a lot.

And don't worry, you have the Fenno-Ugric genes through your mummy - makes things easier :lol: If you know the basics of reading Hungarian you'll pronounce Finnish very correctly.

mad_ant

Post by mad_ant » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:16 pm

wow that's a 1st...finn learning hungarian..awesome i mean unusual..most of the times ppl learn the language of the richer,more developed country not the other way around
cool! 8)
every1 asks me "why the hell would u learn finnish?" and the thing is i can't answer them i dunno..i just like the sound of it...i still think that "oh i like finnish bands" would be more acceptable to their ears :lol:
thx 4 all the encouragement/tips