Resident Card vs Visa Questions

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Vane734

Post by Vane734 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello,
My husband and I are moving to Finland. I am a US citizen and he is Finnish. He currently has a work contract to start in March and the company is applying for a visa for me. I would like to go with him in order for us to stay together but I'm not sure if I should go ahead and apply for a residence card over there. If I go to Finland as a visitor and show them flights that we have booked, would they be able to confirm that I'm a visitor? Would they be able to see that I have a visa application in process?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Resident Card vs Visa Questions

Post by heretostay » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:44 pm

US citizens do not need visa. They are probably applying for residence permit. You should clarify with them. Take any paperwork with you and show it on entry. I would recommend flying directly to Finland from the US so that you will have your border formalities in Helsinki. The border guards there will recognize your documents and be able to assess the situation better than if you arrive in another European city first. You go through passport control only at the first point of entry into your Schengen zone (which is basically Europe).

Vane734

Post by Vane734 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Well you need a visa if you plan on working in Finland.... which is what I will do. But if the company I will work for puts in the visa process, and I go to Finland as a visitor, will they stop me since the visa hasn't been approved?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Vane734 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm
Well you need a visa if you plan on working in Finland.... which is what I will do. But if the company I will work for puts in the visa process, and I go to Finland as a visitor, will they stop me since the visa hasn't been approved?
A visa to Finland does not give a right to work.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:48 pm

You are from a Visa Exempt country. A residence permit is what you need and is the only option.

http://www.migri.fi/information_elsewhe ... ng_finland