[Non-EU, did not graduate from Fin] Question about working permit - working field

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
linhvu93

[Non-EU, did not graduate from Fin] Question about working permit - working field

Post by linhvu93 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi everyone, I am confused with some issues related to RP but couldn't find accurate answers from migri.fi and infopankki, therefore, I hope that someone here can help me.

Here is my case:
- I am non-EU citizen.
- I didn't graduated from Finnish universities. My degree is related to Finance/Business.
- I came here as a employed person, my current RP is type A with the occupation is Waiter.
- I am planing on extending my RP on 4/2018 as my current RP is valid till 8/2018 (since last time when I extended from a trainee B-permit to a working A-permit, it took 4 months so this time I don't wanna wait that long, there're loads of inconvenience while not having a RP on hand).

So there're some problems:
- I heard that after getting 1 year A-permit, the extended RP is normally granted for 4 years. Is this true?
- I've read this from SawFinland.com:
Work permit (A-status) can be applied from Finland and abroad. A work permit allows you to work full time. Work permit after your graduation at Finnish Universities allows you to work independently in any field, as the visa is granted open. However, other work permit limits you to work at certain field.
My questions are:
- Even if i can get 4 year A permit, will it stick with Waiter occupation? OMG obviously I don't expect that I'll work as a waiter for my whole life :shock:
- Does A-RP allow me to study free here, like a Master course? (Of course I know I have to get a job with adequate income still)
- If i extend my RP as a 'Shift Manager/Head Waiter' or 'Store/Cafe Manager', can I possibly work as a waiter/receptionist, etc. if I change to different employers but at the same industry (Hotel, Restaurant and Leisure).

I would be appreciate your time and answers.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by linhvu93 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Question about working permit - working field

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 pm

linhvu93 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:25 pm
- I heard that after getting 1 year A-permit, the extended RP is normally granted for 4 years. Is this true?
Yes.
linhvu93 wrote:
- Even if i can get 4 year A permit, will it stick with Waiter occupation? OMG obviously I don't expect that I'll work as a waiter for my whole life :shock:
If you need to change fields, you will apply for a new A permit for that field. When you get a permanent permit, there are no field restrictions.
linhvu93 wrote:
- Does A-RP allow me to study free here, like an Master course? (Of course I know I have to get a job with adequate income still)
Yes.
linhvu93 wrote:
- If i extend my RP as a 'Shift Manager/Head Waiter' or 'Store/Cafe Manager', can I possibly work as a waiter/receptionist, etc. if I change to different employers but at the same industry (Hotel, Restaurant and Leisure).
Probably but depends on the exact wording on the permit.

linhvu93

Post by linhvu93 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:20 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 pm
linhvu93 wrote:
Yes.
Hi betelgeuse,
Thank you so much for your answers!
I would like to go more specific on this. I meant even I DIDN'T graduate from any Finn uni, will this rule still work on my case?

Btw, i found this on migri.fi which confuses me with the info. i got from SawFinland.
Restricted right to work
The grounds of your residence permit determine the amount and types of work you are allowed to do. For further information on your right to work, select the link that applies to you:
Degree completed in Finland
But some of my friends who studied and graduated in Fin are working in the different industry from their degree still.

biryvih

Re: [Non-EU, did not graduate from Fin] Question about working permit - working field

Post by biryvih » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:59 pm

It shouldn't matter either you are graduated from Finland or not.

The only thing matters if your A-Permit is specific. If you have no restrictions on your permit, than you can work wherever you want. But if it is field specific, than you will need to find a way to change it.

In order to get your next permit you will need to have a job, and don't quote me here, but maybe just maybe you can try to ask from Mirgi if they will consider lifting the restriction from your permit.

And 4 months is not a big deal, grow a pair of (you know what) it should be fine.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:10 pm

linhvu93 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:20 am
I would like to go more specific on this. I meant even I DIDN'T graduate from any Finn uni, will this rule still work on my case?
It does.
linhvu93 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:20 am
Restricted right to work
The grounds of your residence permit determine the amount and types of work you are allowed to do. For further information on your right to work, select the link that applies to you:
Degree completed in Finland
But some of my friends who studied and graduated in Fin are working in the different industry from their degree still.
It only confuses you because you don't understand what the link says. If you have the permit based on your degree, you are free to work in any field.