residence card for EU family member VS RP type A

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ivyvan233

Post by ivyvan233 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:01 pm

Hello,

I am an EU citizen (not Finnish) and my partner is a non-EU citizen. My partner is under residence permit type B (student) in Finland and he will graduate soon. We both have been living in Finland for 3 years. We are considering which residence permit we should apply for my partner after the student visa expired so he can stay and work in Finland with me. Our main priority is for him to get the Finnish citizenship since we already plan to live permanently in Finland together.

There are 2 options: Residence card for EU family member OR residence permit type A. My partner already lived in Finland for 3 years under residence permit type B. He would like to apply for Finnish citizenship later, after he has met the requirement of a period of stay (at least 4 years under RP type A). I would like to know whether this EU family member residence card is entitled to the same rules with RP type A? After 4 years under EU family member residence card, will my partner be able to apply for Finnish citizenship?

There is not much information on migri.fi about the residence card for EU family member, and I already sent an email to migri but they just suggested to read from migri.fi, which I already did and cannot find the information I need.

Hope to receive some advice from you,
Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: residence card for EU family member VS RP type A

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:34 pm

ivyvan233 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:01 pm
After 4 years under EU family member residence card, will my partner be able to apply for Finnish citizenship?
Yes. With the goal you have in mind, both will give him the residence period requirements for citizenship.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 am

You cannot choose the types, if you apply for a family based permit will be residence for EU family member.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:07 am

tavastia wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 am
You cannot choose the types, if you apply for a family based permit will be residence for EU family member.
They can. OP didn't specify the circumstances. Perhaps the partner is working and can apply for a residence permit based on work.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.