Getting married in Finland on tourist visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sirhc1212

Post by sirhc1212 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Hyvää päivää everyone,

I am recently granted a Schengen visa to visit my boyfriend in Finland. I’m a gay guy who is in a relationship for 9 months with a Finnish guy and we’re planning to be married there since in my home country gay marriage is not yet possible. My visa is only a tourist visa and was granted by another Schengen country since there is no Finnish Embassy here.

In order to get married I need to get a civil status certificate from my home country and have it authenticated by the Finnish consulate that is based here. So here is my question, is there a possibility that my tourist visa get revoked due to our intent of getting married? My boyfriend and his mom is worried that when I go to the consulate and have him known our intention to get married they will notify the authorities that granted my visa and that they may revoke it since they’ll think that I don’t have a plan of going home anymore. Though we are partly thinking of applying an application of residency after we get married. We are just worrying that they may think that we are just doing it for me to have an easier access to the residence permit. But we don’t fake our relationship. We truly want to be together for the rest of our lives and the chance of us getting married is only possible in Finland since in my home country it is not yet legalized.

Kiitos!
Last edited by sirhc1212 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jsilverman

Re: Getting married in Finland on tourist visa

Post by jsilverman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm not sure that the various departments communicate that well between themselves.

I'm not sure how tourist visas work, but surely it must be unusual for them to be revoked.
"Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can, and wine to accept the things I can't."

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:09 pm

that they may revoke it since they’ll think that I don’t have a plan of going home anymore.
That is indeed a reason to deny a visa, so I think revoking might also be possible.
On the other hand people might understand your situation and use a milder interpretation.
I'm not sure that the various departments communicate that well between themselves.
Finland is the Red Tape champion of the world. So at least all the documents will end up in the same file at Migri.

sirhc1212

Post by sirhc1212 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:49 am

jsilverman wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm not sure how tourist visas work, but surely it must be unusual for them to be revoked.
Do you think it is fine to ask the consulate as well regarding this matter?

sirhc1212

Post by sirhc1212 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:04 am

rinso wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:09 pm
that they may revoke it since they’ll think that I don’t have a plan of going home anymore.
That is indeed a reason to deny a visa, so I think revoking might also be possible.
On the other hand people might understand your situation and use a milder interpretation.
Finland is the Red Tape champion of the world. So at least all the documents will end up in the same file at Migri.
Even though we have the intention of me not going home anymore to my home country once we get married. We don’t have any plan on me staying in Finland illegally. If my tourist visa ended I still have the plan of going home. However, on the Finnish Migri website, it is stated there that:

“If you are in Finland when you apply for a residence permit, you are allowed to wait for the decision in the country even if your visa or visa-free period expires.”

Do you think it is really possible then to proceed on our intention of staying there with him even my tourist visa (3 months) already expires?
I’m open of being denied or whatsoever. We just want to make sure that all that we are planning to do are fine and legal.

hiworld

Post by hiworld » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 am

i got married in finland on tourist visa last month. i got residence permit in a week after submit my application in finland. i stated clearly that i intend to live permanently in finland with my husband. all went well without any issue.

Rasikko

Post by Rasikko » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:16 am

Migri wants to know if you're planning to stay in Finland for a long period of time. They also will try and find out if you trying to do it for the wrong reason. Like, if you're "faking" a marriage for the sole purpose of getting a resident permit - you'll be interviewed to assess this. Lots of people try to get around Migri, this is why they are very strict.

If your visa becomes invalid after you applied(meaning you need to apply before it becomes invalid), you can legally remain in the country until the decision is made. On a negative decision, you can appeal, otherwise - you gotta leave the country.

clarissasc

Post by clarissasc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:29 am

I came to Finland in 2009 and got married (back then still a registered relationship status) a week later in Maistraatti. I didn't need an official tourist visa, but that's what I was in fact using (had 90 days to return to my country). My relationship with my wife was already 3½ years long, but still we had to go to the police to be interviewed (separated) before I got my social security number and resident permit. Expect to be invited for this interview. The whole process took about 4 months.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:47 pm

we got married when wifey (then girlfriend) was visiting Finland.
She visited 2 times before me, and I was already in Ukraine a couple of times "for various reasons" before meeting her. The stamps on her passport were quite helpful to make the case a bit more legit.
Image Image

sirhc1212

Post by sirhc1212 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Thank you for all your replies guys, I just came back here to give an update that might help others as well.

So my partner and I got successfully married here in Finland last May and then at the end of the same month applied for the residence permit on the basis of family ties. We are so overwhelmed of how fast the decision was given. I booked an appointment in the Finnish Immigration service point to verify my identity and provide my fingerprints (this is required as part of the residence permit processing), and I got a decision on the same day right away! I am expecting to receive the residence permit card next week.

Thanks for the help everyone!

sirhc1212

Post by sirhc1212 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Cory wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:15 pm
Congratulations on your marriage! :D
Thank you Cory! I’m in Turku as well, we might have already bumped on each other without realizing it 😊

Hasani152

Post by Hasani152 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:04 am

hiworld wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 am
i got married in finland on tourist visa last month. i got residence permit in a week after submit my application in finland. i stated clearly that i intend to live permanently in finland with my husband. all went well without any issue.
H! Can i ask Did u married in finland? Or you got married outside finland and brought marrige certificate with you? Also can you tell me hw much income your spouse needs to show while applying for spouse visa??

hiworld

Post by hiworld » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:12 pm

i got married in denmark and brought the certificate to finland. we dont show any income statement at all and my spouse is a freelancer so no actual stable income

elNino

Post by elNino » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:17 pm

hiworld wrote:
Hey, its great you got your RP in a week, i just wanna ask if you applied online or on papers ?

hiworld

Post by hiworld » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:43 pm

elNino wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:17 pm
hiworld wrote:
Hey, its great you got your RP in a week, i just wanna ask if you applied online or on papers ?
i applied online and proof identity in the next day in oulu service point.