Is registration on Trade Register required before applying for a self-employed visa as a freelancer?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ais

Is registration on Trade Register required before applying for a self-employed visa as a freelancer?

Post by ais » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi people,

I want to apply for a self-employed visa. I'm a freelancer and will be working under my own name (toiminimi). What I couldn't find anywhere during my research is whether it's mandatory to enter into the Trade Register of the National Board of Patents and Registration for the type of work that I will be doing. What I mean by that is that I will not be setting up a business that will hire other people. I will just be on my own. Do I need to enter the Trade Register ahead of applying for the first residence permit?

On the application form, there is a field that lets you choose "No" and give a reason why the business has not been entered into the Trade Register yet. Seeing that the option exists, I'm wondering if that means individually-owned businesses (in other words, freelancers) do not need to enter the trade register ahead of the application.

If someone has some insight into this, I will be eternally grateful. I would also highly appreciate if you could let me know what are the chances of me getting a permit. My clients are based in the US and I make a good amount as an independent contractor. I'm not from an EU or any of the first world countries just for the record.

Thanks for any help you can provide me!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Is registration on Trade Register required before applying for a self-employed visa as a freelancer?

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:00 pm

ais wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm
Do I need to enter the Trade Register ahead of applying for the first residence permit?
No you don't.

betelgeuse

Re: Is registration on Trade Register required before applying for a self-employed visa as a freelancer?

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:02 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:00 pm
ais wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm
Do I need to enter the Trade Register ahead of applying for the first residence permit?
No you don't.
The law doesn't require this but apparently Migri prefers you to register: " Before a permit can be issued, self-employed persons usually need to enter their business in the Trade Register maintained by the Finnish Patent and Registration Office."

http://migri.fi/en/self-employed-person