citizenship question

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
dan75

citizenship question

Post by dan75 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi,
I have been living in Finland for past 6 years (4 years B Type + 2 year A type ) as non-EU. During these years i have lived 7 months for studies in other EU country.And now i spent another 2.5 months outside Finland. I have also 3 years another EU visa on my passport. Does it affect on my citizenship application? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the answers

citizenship question

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piapia

Re: citizenship question

Post by Piapia » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi, as I know.. residence period is accepted as continuous as long as the total trip time is less than 1 year (plus max. 2 periods of 2-6 months lasting trips are ok), but if the total trip time is over 6 months, then the total period of all trips is deducted from the residence time. Since you had one trip already longer than 6 months (but less than 1 year).. plus 2.5 months.. in this case all of your trip time (9.5 months and other possible trips) will not be counted.. if all of your total trip time is over than 1 year.. then it is counted as accumulated period of residence. Hope this info helps.

Voliksenda

Post by Voliksenda » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Piapia wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 pm
Hi, as I know.. residence period is accepted as continuous as long as the total trip time is less than 1 year
Piapia, where did you find it?
dan75 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:05 pm
I have been living in Finland for past 6 years (4 years B Type + 2 year A type ) as non-EU. During these years i have lived 7 months for studies in other EU country.And now i spent another 2.5 months outside Finland.
dan75, I think your case is below:
The following periods of absence from Finland will not interrupt your continuous period of residence, and their time will be calculated as continuous residence time:

- absences of a maximum of one month
- a maximum of six periods of absence that last 1–2 months each
- a maximum of two periods of absence that last 2–6 months each

The following period of absence from Finland will not interrupt your continuous period of residence but it will not be calculated as continuous residence time:
- a period of absence that lasts longer than six months but one year at maximum

If you are absent from Finland for longer than a year, your continuous period of residence is interrupted.

http://migri.fi/en/how-to-calculate-the ... -residence

Piapia

Post by Piapia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi,

From migri page: 'If you are absent from Finland for longer than a year, your continuous period of residence is interrupted. ' --> ' residence period is accepted as continuous as long as the total trip time is less than 1 year'

Plus there is also this statement on migri's page--> ' The following period of absence from Finland will not interrupt your continuous period of residence but it will not be calculated as continuous residence time: a period of absence that lasts longer than six months but one year at maximum '

so, this 'absence' is referring to 'total trip time'..

trips in total less than 6 months = OK, counted within residential period
(with the conditions of max 6 trips lasting 1-2 months, and max 2 trips lasting 2-6 months)
trips in total lasting for 6-12 months = Not calculated as residential time
trips in total over than 12 months = Interrupted --> Accumulated period of residence --> 7 years of A type permit, B's are not counted, last 2 years of A must be continuous..

I think these -residential time calculation- matters are quite confusing, and during my own application I spent some time to digest what migri actually means..
If there is any wrong info in my explanations, please feel free to correct them :)

Voliksenda

Post by Voliksenda » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Piapia, you want to say that these allowances are going more as "either / or", and not as "and ... and ...and"?

Piapia

Post by Piapia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi again,

I want to say;

1) The trips are counted separately: meaning that if you have 2 trips lasting 2-6 months --> that' s ok for continuous residence
- if you have 3 trips lasting 2-6 months--> violation of the limit --> Interrupted --> Accumulated period of residence
- if you have 7 periods of 1-2 months trips --> interrupted --> Accumulated period of residence
- if you have 1-time of 3-month trip + 4-times of 1-month trip --> that' s ok for continuous residential (but in total > 6 months) ===> The trips are not counted as residential time, so this 7-month is a minus for your own residence period.

In addition.......

2) All trip time is collected as well; if it is >1 year ==> Interrupted - Accumulated period of residence

3) There is also such an issue: If the trips are too often (the frequency of the trips), Migri might consider the case as 'Interrupted' - This was written on the previous migri-page.

dan75

Post by dan75 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks a lot Piapia and Voliksenda. That explained well.

dan75

Post by dan75 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Do i need to mention short trips (7 or 15 days) as well in my application??

Piapia

Post by Piapia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi, all trips to abroad must be reported.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Piapia wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:55 pm
Hi Pia, I remember you commenting in "Finnish citizenship application 2018"... but can you see it?

I don't see that thread anymore. Are you able to see it? or is it just deleted by someone?

Thanks

Piapia

Post by Piapia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm

biryvih wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:25 pm
Piapia wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:55 pm
Hi Pia, I remember you commenting in "Finnish citizenship application 2018"... but can you see it?

I don't see that thread anymore. Are you able to see it? or is it just deleted by someone?

Thanks
Hi, nope.. obviously the thread is deleted..

mukesh1

Post by mukesh1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:40 am

Piapia wrote:
Hi, as I know.. residence period is accepted as continuous as long as the total trip time is less than 1 year (plus max. 2 periods of 2-6 months lasting trips are ok), but if the total trip time is over 6 months, then the total period of all trips is deducted from the residence time. Since you had one trip already longer than 6 months (but less than 1 year).. plus 2.5 months.. in this case all of your trip time (9.5 months and other possible trips) will not be counted.. if all of your total trip time is over than 1 year.. then it is counted as accumulated period of residence. Hope this info helps.
Are you sure about this information?

Piapia

Post by Piapia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 am

mukesh1 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:40 am
Piapia wrote:
Are you sure about this information?
Hi, I did not directly confirm from Migri by calling or sending email, but the the rules regarding trip durations and numbers are explained on Migri-page;

'The following period of absence from Finland will not interrupt your continuous period of residence but it will not be calculated as continuous residence time:
a period of absence that lasts longer than six months but one year at maximum
If you are absent from Finland for longer than a year, your continuous period of residence is interrupted. The periods you have lived in Finland before your absence will be counted towards your accumulated period of residence.'

So, I am pretty sure.

Voliksenda

Post by Voliksenda » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:23 pm

Meanwhile I am having an afterthought about it:
The following period of absence from Finland will not interrupt your continuous period of residence but it will not be calculated as continuous residence time:
It says "a period of absence", which I assume would mean "one period of (one) absence that lasts longer than six months". Otherwise, why would not they simply say "the sum of the absences is more than six month", or "total period of all absences is more than six month"?

I think the best way would be to contact Migri and ensure. There are many wise people here, but only Migri knows the truth :)

Piapia

Post by Piapia » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Voliksenda wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:23 pm
Meanwhile I am having an afterthought about it:
It says "a period of absence", which I assume would mean "one period of (one) absence that lasts longer than six months". Otherwise, why would not they simply say "the sum of the absences is more than six month", or "total period of all absences is more than six month"?

I think the best way would be to contact Migri and ensure. There are many wise people here, but only Migri knows the truth :)

Hi, I agree that this point should be clarified.. because according to migri-page these periods are OK..

Please note that if the total allowed time period is calculated as all these stated periods are allowed without any restriction (6monthsX2times + 2 monthsX6times + unlimited number of 1 months..).. and without no such upper bound for max. allowed trip times and durations.. then why is 5 years residence period asked for?.. basically by being in the country once in a while, someone can still fulfil the criteria of residence period after 5 years..

Before my application, I had asked to migri if I am eligible (in terms of residence period), and I was told 'trips are important..' but I didn't question the trip details since mine is less than 6 months in total..

If someone gets a clear and straight info. from Migri, and shares here, this would be very beneficial for many people who are planning to apply to citizenship. I have seen some applicants who were not aware of these details with trips and very disappointed with receiving negative decision afterwards..

btw, am 99.9% sure about briefly the ' <6 month, 6-12 month and >12 ' rule.. but I will gladly accept that I am wrong if someone brings direct info. from Migri.. :wink:
Last edited by Piapia on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.