Questions about capital taxes in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
bosiwow

Post by bosiwow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello everybody,

I want to move to finland but I have some questions regarding taxes on capital and inheritance.
I'm a belgian citizen and want to move to Finland for at least 2 years. I have the following question, I hope somebody can help me with it:

1) throughout the years I've built a nice stockportfolio. Now I saw there is a capital gain tax in Finland. Now I was wondering. If I don't sell anything (I'm quite young, so i'm not planning to sell yet), I don't have to pay any tax on it. Is that correct?

2) I've been gifted a house in Belgian by an uncle (naked owner, my uncle still lives in there). When my uncle passes away, I will become the full owner of the house. Does this mean I'll have to pay taxes on it? What if I sell it (is it considered as a capital gain, since I was already the naked owner?)

3) I have a broker account set up in Belgium. If a stock pays dividend they automatically deduct the Belgian dividend tax. Since I will be a finish taxpayer, I no longer have to pay this Belgian tax. Does anybody knows how I can get this belgian dividendtax back? Can it be done via a finish taxreturn or anything?

4) Is there transaction exchange tax (when you buy a stock) that I will have to pay in Finland, when I buy stocks?

5) I am the beneficiary of a life insurance (it was gifted to me). What happens when the insured person dies and I become the beneficiary of the contract? Is it seen as a capital gain? Do I have to pay any tax on it?

6) What if the portfolio of the life insurance that will be on my name grows further. Do I have to pay capital gain tax on it?

7) I find it difficult to find an accurate tax rate on salaries (income tax). So let's say you earn 5000/month. How much can you keep of that?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Questions about capital taxes in Finland

Post by Upphew » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 am

bosiwow wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 pm
I find it difficult to find an accurate tax rate on salaries (income tax). So let's say you earn 5000/month. How much can you keep of that?
Would this help you: https://prosentti.vero.fi/BPL/Sivut/Alo ... ieli=en-US
I found it via: https://www.google.fi/search?q=tax.fi+calculator

edit. fixed quotes
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

betelgeuse

Re: Questions about capital taxes in Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:51 pm

bosiwow wrote:
1) throughout the years I've built a nice stockportfolio. Now I saw there is a capital gain tax in Finland. Now I was wondering. If I don't sell anything (I'm quite young, so i'm not planning to sell yet), I don't have to pay any tax on it. Is that correct?
You will not (except on dividends).
bosiwow wrote:
2) I've been gifted a house in Belgian by an uncle (naked owner, my uncle still lives in there). When my uncle passes away, I will become the full owner of the house. Does this mean I'll have to pay taxes on it? What if I sell it (is it considered as a capital gain, since I was already the naked owner?)
You will have to. The exemption is if you have physically lived there for two years.
bosiwow wrote:
3) I have a broker account set up in Belgium. If a stock pays dividend they automatically deduct the Belgian dividend tax. Since I will be a finish taxpayer, I no longer have to pay this Belgian tax. Does anybody knows how I can get this belgian dividendtax back? Can it be done via a finish taxreturn or anything?
There are many ways to do it. Depends on the tax treaty.
bosiwow wrote:
4) Is there transaction exchange tax (when you buy a stock) that I will have to pay in Finland, when I buy stocks?
There is not.
bosiwow wrote:
5) I am the beneficiary of a life insurance (it was gifted to me). What happens when the insured person dies and I become the beneficiary of the contract? Is it seen as a capital gain? Do I have to pay any tax on it?
Depending on the insured person you will pay either capital gain taxes or inheritance taxes unless the amount is under standard deductions for inheritance.
bosiwow wrote:
6) What if the portfolio of the life insurance that will be on my name grows further. Do I have to pay capital gain tax on it?
You will not.
bosiwow wrote:
7) I find it difficult to find an accurate tax rate on salaries (income tax). So let's say you earn 5000/month. How much can you keep of that?
Use the link by Upphew.