Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kanjengmami93

Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi, everyone. I hope you are all doing well. I'm engaged to a finnish citizen, we got engaged in June 2017, we had an official engagement party. We are getting married this summer in June 2018 in my home country. We have been dating for a lil bit more than two years and we are in a long distance relationship. I would like to know If applying residence permit in Finlandia for spouse of finnish citizen is okay while the spouse in on a visa. I have visited migri page, and It states that It's fine to apply residence permit in Finland, and I have made calls to the embassy, and they seemed like they force us to apply residence permit in my home country even though I have told them that applying residence permit can be done in Finland since I will be officially married to a finnish citizen. I want to make sure that It's legal to apply residence permit while on a visa. I don't want to get in trouble in the future since we both want to start a family. I have heard some cases that they managed to get their residence permit in Finland while on a visa sponsored by their finnish husband even though they were just dating for few months (4-6 months), met online, and they decided to get married. They seemed like they didn't have any problem at all, even embassy didn't ask them from a lot of paperworks to be able to get them a visa. I would like to know from anyone who has managed to apply their residence permit in Finland.

just in case my visa get refused, I may ask my finnish husband to apply RP to stay with me in my country sponsored by me to stay with me for at least 1 year before applying my RP for Finland, we'll see. Im also well-prepared to give all needed documents and even my police records from the authority for that If that means It could make the procces quicker. I would like to know what do you guys think about it. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by kanjengmami93 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ynginvstr

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by ynginvstr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:49 am

Summary:
- You have been dating for +2 years. :thumbsup:
- You got engaged in June 2017. :thumbsup:
- You are getting married in summer 2018. :thumbsup:

All looks good to me. Make sure you keep anything (Pictures, for example) which proves that you have been together for +2 years -- It will help you very much.

As for getting your residence permit, this is how it goes:
Get married in Indonesia -> Register your Marriage at Maistraatti -> Apply for your Residence Permit in your home country and be patient. Your husband can visit you in Indonesia, for he is not required to have a Visa to do so.

I personally think applying for your residence permit while you are in Finland is a bad idea and here is why:
- It would cost the whole thing so much money.
- It is not sure that you will be granted a Visa. (Things are getting strict in Finland right now)
- You don't want to have a Refusal of Entry, in the case of a refusal. Because, if you get a refusal you would surely decide to apply for a Residence permit in Indonesia. And, of course, that would affect on your residence permit, in some 'Migric' way.

AFTER ALL, if you are confident that you can get a Schengen Visa easily, then go for it. You may apply for a Residence Permit on the basis of Family Ties in Finland and you may stay in Finland until the decision is made (even if its processing time exceeds the limited time of your Visa.)

Good luck.

kanjengmami93

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:20 am

ynginvstr wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:49 am
Summary:
- You have been dating for +2 years. :thumbsup:
- You got engaged in June 2017. :thumbsup:
- You are getting married in summer 2018. :thumbsup:

All looks good to me. Make sure you keep anything (Pictures, for example) which proves that you have been together for +2 years -- It will help you very much.

As for getting your residence permit, this is how it goes:
Get married in Indonesia -> Register your Marriage at Maistraatti -> Apply for your Residence Permit in your home country and be patient. Your husband can visit you in Indonesia, for he is not required to have a Visa to do so.

I personally think applying for your residence permit while you are in Finland is a bad idea and here is why:
- It would cost the whole thing so much money.
- It is not sure that you will be granted a Visa. (Things are getting strict in Finland right now)
- You don't want to have a Refusal of Entry, in the case of a refusal. Because, if you get a refusal you would surely decide to apply for a Residence permit in Indonesia. And, of course, that would affect on your residence permit, in some 'Migric' way.

AFTER ALL, if you are confident that you can get a Schengen Visa easily, then go for it. You may apply for a Residence Permit on the basis of Family Ties in Finland and you may stay in Finland until the decision is made (even if its processing time exceeds the limited time of your Visa.)

Good luck.
Hei, thank you for your advices. I was thinking the same, applying in my home country would be the best option, although I think the visa refusal thing is irrelevant for applying residence permit since visa is only temporary permit and issued due to tourism purposes and my fiance doesn't want me to apply a RP at the embassy because he thinks embassy officers have no idea what they are talking about (since most officers are locals and dealing with them can be pain in the ass), and he finds them very rude. I was thinking If my visa gets refused, I wanna ask my husband to stay in my country with me for at least 1 year (but I don't want to get myself pregnant during this time because I don't want to deal with more complicated proccess and bureaucracy) then I will apply my residence permit for finland. Do you think It's a good idea? Thanks
Last edited by kanjengmami93 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

ynginvstr

Post by ynginvstr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Yes! Do as I told you. I believe it is safer, but you know your situation better than me. :thumbsup:

'' my fiance doesn't want me to apply a RP at the embassy in Indonesia because he thinks embassy officers have no idea what they are talking about (since most officers are Indonesians and dealing with Indonesians can be pain in the ass), and he finds them very rude.''

- Your husband should know that in every Embassy of Finland outside Finland there are Finnish people working, and of course they would hire local people to help them provide a better service for the locals.

- The more time you spend together, the more it influence your RP decision. :thumbsup:
- If you can live in Indonesia 1 year then apply for the RP later, it would be great. But still you can apply for it immediately after marriage.

Lastly, I would suggest that you focus more on the marriage, than the RP for now. Go step by step. Get married, and give your husband a legalised Original Copy of your Marriage Certificate to register your marriage at Maistraatti (Indonesia is not a member of The Hague Apostille Convention, this means legalising documents can be a pain in the ass for you.). For that, I am saying that you better focus on the marriage more. Make sure your husband is able to provide you with the documents that should meet requirements of Mixed Marriage in Indonesia. Do a research.

I don't know whether you're Muslim or not, but I would like to ask you, out of curiosity, if Muslims in Indonesia that are marrying non-muslims are restricted to marry Christians/Jews only, and if women are allowed to marry non-muslims? :)

kanjengmami93

Post by kanjengmami93 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:14 pm

ynginvstr wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:39 pm
Yes! Do as I told you. I believe it is safer, but you know your situation better than me. :thumbsup:

'' my fiance doesn't want me to apply a RP at the embassy in Indonesia because he thinks embassy officers have no idea what they are talking about (since most officers are Indonesians and dealing with Indonesians can be pain in the ass), and he finds them very rude.''

- Your husband should know that in every Embassy of Finland outside Finland there are Finnish people working, and of course they would hire local people to help them provide a better service for the locals.

- The more time you spend together, the more it influence your RP decision. :thumbsup:
- If you can live in Indonesia 1 year then apply for the RP later, it would be great. But still you can apply for it immediately after marriage.

Lastly, I would suggest that you focus more on the marriage, than the RP for now. Go step by step. Get married, and give your husband a legalised Original Copy of your Marriage Certificate to register your marriage at Maistraatti (Indonesia is not a member of The Hague Apostille Convention, this means legalising documents can be a pain in the ass for you.). For that, I am saying that you better focus on the marriage more. Make sure your husband is able to provide you with the documents that should meet requirements of Mixed Marriage in Indonesia. Do a research.

I don't know whether you're Muslim or not, but I would like to ask you, out of curiosity, if Muslims in Indonesia that are marrying non-muslims are restricted to marry Christians/Jews only, and if women are allowed to marry non-muslims? :)
I have read some requirements for a spouse of finnish citizen to get a visa from realiable sources, It won't be really that difficult as long as you are travelling with your spouse and your spouse will be accompanying you to Finland. most of those who get denied because when they applied their visa, and their spouse were not accompaying them and travelling together in Finland. In this case, they should apply regular tourist visa instead, not private visit visa, you can apply for a private visit visa sponsored by your spouse when your spouse ain't with you but you will need more paperworks for that (embassy wants to make sure that you don't use or fake the invitation letter for personal purposes) since your spouse is not accompaying you, as far a I understand, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

And about religion, I'm a muslim, but marrying a muslim in Indonesia ain't that hard, well, It depends on the family. My family is not religious people, so they don't care If my husband gets drunk or eat bacon. lol. Converting into muslim in Indonesia is way easier compared to converting into a muslim in Finland. Here, we are not allowed to marry someone who has different religion, It applies for all not only for muslim plus our laws is not sharia laws (only aceh applies sharia laws).

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:42 am

but my fiance doesn't want me to apply a RP at the embassy in Indonesia because he thinks embassy officers have no idea what they are talking about (since most officers are Indonesians and dealing with Indonesians can be pain in the ass), and he finds them very rude.
The embassy just collect the paperwork and information. Decisions are made in Finland.

kanjengmami93

Post by kanjengmami93 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 am

rinso wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:42 am
but my fiance doesn't want me to apply a RP at the embassy in Indonesia because he thinks embassy officers have no idea what they are talking about (since most officers are Indonesians and dealing with Indonesians can be pain in the ass), and he finds them very rude.
The embassy just collect the paperwork and information. Decisions are made in Finland.
Hei, thanks for the info. I knew it already that embassy doesn't make the decision and their job is to collect datas from the applicant (But again, dealing with Indonesians can be a lil bit annoying, I once asked requirements to reupdated my passport, they told me all the requirements, I gave it to them all the paperworks they told me to bring, and they decided to send me home and asked me to come back again. Most foreigners don't even like to deal with Indonesian officers. They just love making us miserable). lol. But I believe that my documents (paperworks) will be sent to the Finnish Immigration Office in Helsingin If I apply at the embassy in Indonesia where It is prolly the busiest immigration office in the whole Finland, or all those applicant's documents will be sent there,doesn't matter where they are applying? Lemme know how immigration or applying RP works If you have any credible information. I just wanna spend my time with my husband more and as soon as possible since we have been in a geographically unwanted relationship (LDR) for more than two year and he can't travel every month to visit me since he has a job in Finland and his job demands him to work more like a machine, lol and we need to decide whether he will stay with me in Indonesia or apply RP directly once we get married. Kiitos.

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi, I married in Indonesia and converted to Islam but it wasn't that easy, a load of red tape and visits from the local religious office then a ceremony at the mosque with the family and locals before we could marry. Would it not be easier to marry in Finland? If i had known at the time that's what I would have done then had the wedding ceremony later in Indonesia. :)

kanjengmami93

Post by kanjengmami93 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm

bm50 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:54 pm
Hi, I married in Indonesia and converted to Islam but it wasn't that easy, a load of red tape and visits from the local religious office then a ceremony at the mosque with the family and locals before we could marry. Would it not be easier to marry in Finland? If i had known at the time that's what I would have done then had the wedding ceremony later in Indonesia. :)
Hei, some indonesian's husband over there. Well, first, you need to find some imam who is willing to convert you right away and give you the certificate, I have found one in Jakarta. Imam in turku seemed didn't wanna help him out. It doesn't matter If I will be getting married in Finland or in Indonesia, he still needs to convert into a muslim since the law has changed and require him to convert into a muslim so then I can get my Letter of No Impediment from the authority here in Indonesia. I actually would want to wait a lil bit longer to get married since my fiance is still paying some debts until april, If I get married in Finland, the embassy will require him to prove pay slips in the last 3 months and bank account to get me a visa and I don't think that's a good idea. But my fiance kept insisting me to get married this summer and live together after that.

May I ask you? How did you guys manage to get your wife a visa to visit Finland after the marriage has done and what paperwoks you gave to the embassy? I would like to know your experience. Thanks in advance!!

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:20 pm

I remember a post recently of someone who was having trouble getting the certifcate of non impediment from their country. They worked around it by having the wedding in Denmark while on a tourist visa I think where the certificate was not required. You might want to research that option.

kanjengmami93

Post by kanjengmami93 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:42 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:20 pm
I remember a post recently of someone who was having trouble getting the certifcate of non impediment from their country. They worked around it by having the wedding in Denmark while on a tourist visa I think where the certificate was not required. You might want to research that option.
Hi, thanks for the info. But was the someone from Indonesia? It shouldn't be that hard in Indonesia to get that certificate as long as one is willing to convert their religion. Denmark still requires you to get that certificate (based on some indo girls's experience on getting married in Denmark).

ynginvstr

Post by ynginvstr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Why do you need a certificate to prove you are a Muslim Convert?
Idk about Indonesia, but, this is how it should be in every muslim country:

If you're a Finnish Christian or Jew, Virkatodistus is the only document you need. You can be Muslim by heart, and in the documents you are a Christian, which you can change later after marriage.
The most important thing is that you get the marriage done. :thumbsup:

In Morocco, what I did was : I went to the court -- where we are supposed to get the permission to get married -- and asked them the documents my fiancée needs to bring.
I gave her the list of documents, and told me that there is no separate document that proves her faith, there is only Virkatodistus -- which is a birth certificate and at the same time it contains the info that she's Christian. So I went back to the court and told them about it, and they told me it's no problem and that I can only write a letter where she states her faith. This was the case for most of the documents, except Virkatodistus and Marriage Capacity and Criminal record.

So what I would recommend is that you contact the authorities, and do exactly as they tell you. Do not listen to anyone else, for it is them who will allow you to get married. :thumbsup: Sukses ya! :D

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 pm

kanjengmami93 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm
bm50 wrote:
Hei, some indonesian's husband over there. Well, first, you need to find some imam who is willing to convert you right away and give you the certificate, I have found one in Jakarta. Imam in turku seemed didn't wanna help him out. It doesn't matter If I will be getting married in Finland or in Indonesia, he still needs to convert into a muslim since the law has changed and require him to convert into a muslim so then I can get my Letter of No Impediment from the authority here in Indonesia. I actually would want to wait a lil bit longer to get married since my fiance is still paying some debts until april, If I get married in Finland, the embassy will require him to prove pay slips in the last 3 months and bank account to get me a visa and I don't think that's a good idea. But my fiance kept insisting me to get married this summer and live together after that.

May I ask you? How did you guys manage to get your wife a visa to visit Finland after the marriage has done and what paperwoks you gave to the embassy? I would like to know your experience. Thanks in advance!!
https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... u-citizen/

Hi, We married in 2007 so maybe some things have changed, example we applied for the Shengen visa at the Finnish embassy in Jakarta but now you have to apply at a different office in Jakarta, information you can find on their website. What you will need is your marriage certificate in English this has to be notarized by the Ministry of justice and office of foreign affairs then by the Finnish embassy in Jakarta before you apply for Shengen visa. At the same time the embassy can register your marriage to the Magistrate in Helsinki. According to EU regulations the visa should be issued without any problems and free of charge. Please read the above link that I sent.

ynginvstr

Post by ynginvstr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Yes, the embassy can transfer your translated and legalised marriage certificate to maistraatti in order to register your marriage.
But, keep in mind that if your husband is flying back home after marriage, I think, it would be best if he goes to maistraatti by himself, taking the translated and legalised marriage certificate. :thumbsup:

kanjengmami93

Post by kanjengmami93 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:53 am

bm50 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 pm
kanjengmami93 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm
bm50 wrote:

https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... u-citizen/

Hi, We married in 2007 so maybe some things have changed, example we applied for the Shengen visa at the Finnish embassy in Jakarta but now you have to apply at a different office in Jakarta, information you can find on their website. What you will need is your marriage certificate in English this has to be notarized by the Ministry of justice and office of foreign affairs then by the Finnish embassy in Jakarta before you apply for Shengen visa. At the same time the embassy can register your marriage to the Magistrate in Helsinki. According to EU regulations the visa should be issued without any problems and free of charge. Please read the above link that I sent.
hai, thanks for the answer. But I'm not sure If EU directive applies to a spouse of finnish citizen when their finnish family member is living in Finland. As far as I understand, finnish citizen will be a EU citizen If they are living in another EU country, If not then they are just finnish citizen because they are not using their freedom of movement. But I'm pretty sure that Finnish Immigration Laws has their own rules for bringing their spouse to Finland. But I have contacted the embassy that visa will be free of charge and don't need to buy travel insurance.
Last edited by kanjengmami93 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.