Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kanjengmami93
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am

ynginvstr wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm
Yes, the embassy can transfer your translated and legalised marriage certificate to maistraatti in order to register your marriage.
But, keep in mind that if your husband is flying back home after marriage, I think, it would be best if he goes to maistraatti by himself, taking the translated and legalised marriage certificate. :thumbsup:
We don't need to translate it. Indonesian marriage certificate is already bilingual (Bahasa and English). But hey, I want to travel to Finland too, I have never been there. My fiance has visited me in Indonesia and I will be his sponsor this summer to get him a 6 months visa. Even his big sister asked me to visit their family. Being in a LDR is really frustrating, lonely and sad. LOL. That's why he kept insisting me to get married this summer.



Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

alberti
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 am

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by alberti » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 am

Hi. Here is my story. Hope you find it helpful. I am citizen of the Netherlands and living permanently in Finland for 30 years. I spend the winter months in Indonesia . In December 2016 starting dating my girlfriend ,citizen of Indonesia. Got her a Schengen Visa in March 2016. Needed of course invitation letters and means of support while in Finland, return tkt etc etc. She returned back to Indonesia in June. I followed her later in August for summer holiday. While we were in Indonesia we tried to get the right documents for marriage(letter impendement etc etc.). But that took a long time. So applied second time a Schengen Visa. Same way as the first one. We even mentioned our marriage plans. She got her Schengen Visa approved. But received a message from Finnish Embassy Jakarta stating that marriage will not insure a RP. They said , She can only apply in her home country ! This is not true and I don't no why they keep on giving wrong information about this matter.
So returned to Finland together in September. Here I applied for her a residence permit based on work, within my (cleaning) company. At Migri they told us she can stay as long until decision is made, even it take longer then the validity of the Shengen Visa. Still waiting !! Now 6 months !
In the meantime we surprisingly received documents from Indonesia regarding marriage documents. So in November we got married in Finland. Got a stamp from Ministery of foreign Affairs on our marriage certificate , so this document can be used in Indonesia. To make our marriage legal over there.
We still left Finland in December back to Indonesia . Hoping that my wife`s work/permit would be approved while we were there .
Our marriage was easily legalized in Indonesia. Took one afternoon. A civil marriage, even my wife is Muslim. Became Muslim myself so My wife`s family would be happy back in Indonesia. Went to a Iman in Helsinki. Took 10 min and 50 euro. Became Muslim and married us according Islam. So family happy in Indonesia. Remember that a Muslim marriage is not accepted as marriage proof in Europe. Do a Civil marriage.
But I had to return to Finland and start working in march again. But still no decision about her RP. So applied for the third time in a year a Schengen Visa. This time based on Family visit instead of normal tourist visa. No fee. They needed only our marriage certificate. So again back together to Finland.
So now we are again waiting for her work/residence permit which we applied in October. But thinking to change it for permit based on family ties.It all takes a long waiting time. I think the best way is to get married in Finland instead of in Indonesia. And you can do that on a tourist visa. And apply for RP here in Finland. But needs a lot of patient waiting.


bm50
AKA cockney
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by bm50 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm

kanjengmami93 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am
ynginvstr wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm
Yes, the embassy can transfer your translated and legalised marriage certificate to maistraatti in order to register your marriage.
But, keep in mind that if your husband is flying back home after marriage, I think, it would be best if he goes to maistraatti by himself, taking the translated and legalised marriage certificate. :thumbsup:
We don't need to translate it. Indonesian marriage certificate is already bilingual (Bahasa and English). But hey, I want to travel to Finland too, I have never been there. My fiance has visited me in Indonesia and I will be his sponsor this summer to get him a 6 months visa. Even his big sister asked me to visit their family. Being in a LDR is really frustrating, lonely and sad. LOL. That's why he kept insisting me to get married this summer.
Hi, you know of course that you can apply for your resident permit when you arrive in Finland but remember it can take up to 9 months to get a decision. Until you receive your residence permit you are just a tourist there you can't do much, language courses you will have to pay for. No health care etc it can be a difficult time.


kanjengmami93
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm

bm50 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm
kanjengmami93 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am
ynginvstr wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm
Yes, the embassy can transfer your translated and legalised marriage certificate to maistraatti in order to register your marriage.
But, keep in mind that if your husband is flying back home after marriage, I think, it would be best if he goes to maistraatti by himself, taking the translated and legalised marriage certificate. :thumbsup:
We don't need to translate it. Indonesian marriage certificate is already bilingual (Bahasa and English). But hey, I want to travel to Finland too, I have never been there. My fiance has visited me in Indonesia and I will be his sponsor this summer to get him a 6 months visa. Even his big sister asked me to visit their family. Being in a LDR is really frustrating, lonely and sad. LOL. That's why he kept insisting me to get married this summer.
Hi, you know of course that you can apply for your resident permit when you arrive in Finland but remember it can take up to 9 months to get a decision. Until you receive your residence permit you are just a tourist there you can't do much, language courses you will have to pay for. No health care etc it can be a difficult time.
Hi, thanks a lot for the info, It means a lot. It doesn't matter how long would It take, as long as I can be with him as soon as possible and start a family together like a normal couple. My fiance would be willing to pay for language courses, would love to speak suomi and show it to my friends in Indonesia ;P. I have already learnt a lot about finland, its culture and its people from the internet, I hope I will get a long well with finnish people over there. I used to study in history major, I could even write about history of Finland If I wanted. ;P


bm50
AKA cockney
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by bm50 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:35 pm

kanjengmami93 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm
bm50 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm
kanjengmami93 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am


We don't need to translate it. Indonesian marriage certificate is already bilingual (Bahasa and English). But hey, I want to travel to Finland too, I have never been there. My fiance has visited me in Indonesia and I will be his sponsor this summer to get him a 6 months visa. Even his big sister asked me to visit their family. Being in a LDR is really frustrating, lonely and sad. LOL. That's why he kept insisting me to get married this summer.
Hi, you know of course that you can apply for your resident permit when you arrive in Finland but remember it can take up to 9 months to get a decision. Until you receive your residence permit you are just a tourist there you can't do much, language courses you will have to pay for. No health care etc it can be a difficult time.
Hi, thanks a lot for the info, It means a lot. It doesn't matter how long would It take, as long as I can be with him as soon as possible and start a family together like a normal couple. My fiance would be willing to pay for language courses, would love to speak suomi and show it to my friends in Indonesia ;P. I have already learnt a lot about finland, its culture and its people from the internet, I hope I will get a long well with finnish people over there. I used to study in history major, I could even write about history of Finland If I wanted. ;P
Hi,
Did you read Alberti's post? Iman in Helsinki he converted for 50 euro took 10 mins!


kanjengmami93
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 pm

bm50 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:35 pm
kanjengmami93 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm
bm50 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm


Hi, you know of course that you can apply for your resident permit when you arrive in Finland but remember it can take up to 9 months to get a decision. Until you receive your residence permit you are just a tourist there you can't do much, language courses you will have to pay for. No health care etc it can be a difficult time.
Hi, thanks a lot for the info, It means a lot. It doesn't matter how long would It take, as long as I can be with him as soon as possible and start a family together like a normal couple. My fiance would be willing to pay for language courses, would love to speak suomi and show it to my friends in Indonesia ;P. I have already learnt a lot about finland, its culture and its people from the internet, I hope I will get a long well with finnish people over there. I used to study in history major, I could even write about history of Finland If I wanted. ;P
Hi,
Did you read Alberti's post? Iman in Helsinki he converted for 50 euro took 10 mins!
I haven't heard about it. The problem is that my fiance lives in a small town in isojoki. Takes 6 hours drive to get to Helsinki. But that's a good new, I should inform my fiance about this. He might want to consider it since he doesn't have enough time to spend for the wedding etc in Indonesia, because he has to go back to work in middle of august. I will check the post out. He had unwanted experience with an imam in Turku, he kept complaining about it. Thank you so much for helping me. :D It's been a great help to me. :thumbsup:


kanjengmami93
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 am

alberti wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 am
Hi. Here is my story. Hope you find it helpful. I am citizen of the Netherlands and living permanently in Finland for 30 years. I spend the winter months in Indonesia . In December 2016 starting dating my girlfriend ,citizen of Indonesia. Got her a Schengen Visa in March 2016. Needed of course invitation letters and means of support while in Finland, return tkt etc etc. She returned back to Indonesia in June. I followed her later in August for summer holiday. While we were in Indonesia we tried to get the right documents for marriage(letter impendement etc etc.). But that took a long time. So applied second time a Schengen Visa. Same way as the first one. We even mentioned our marriage plans. She got her Schengen Visa approved. But received a message from Finnish Embassy Jakarta stating that marriage will not insure a RP. They said , She can only apply in her home country ! This is not true and I don't no why they keep on giving wrong information about this matter.
So returned to Finland together in September. Here I applied for her a residence permit based on work, within my (cleaning) company. At Migri they told us she can stay as long until decision is made, even it take longer then the validity of the Shengen Visa. Still waiting !! Now 6 months !
In the meantime we surprisingly received documents from Indonesia regarding marriage documents. So in November we got married in Finland. Got a stamp from Ministery of foreign Affairs on our marriage certificate , so this document can be used in Indonesia. To make our marriage legal over there.
We still left Finland in December back to Indonesia . Hoping that my wife`s work/permit would be approved while we were there .
Our marriage was easily legalized in Indonesia. Took one afternoon. A civil marriage, even my wife is Muslim. Became Muslim myself so My wife`s family would be happy back in Indonesia. Went to a Iman in Helsinki. Took 10 min and 50 euro. Became Muslim and married us according Islam. So family happy in Indonesia. Remember that a Muslim marriage is not accepted as marriage proof in Europe. Do a Civil marriage.
But I had to return to Finland and start working in march again. But still no decision about her RP. So applied for the third time in a year a Schengen Visa. This time based on Family visit instead of normal tourist visa. No fee. They needed only our marriage certificate. So again back together to Finland.
So now we are again waiting for her work/residence permit which we applied in October. But thinking to change it for permit based on family ties.It all takes a long waiting time. I think the best way is to get married in Finland instead of in Indonesia. And you can do that on a tourist visa. And apply for RP here in Finland. But needs a lot of patient waiting.
hei, thank you so much for the info. May I ask you for the information about the imam in Helsinki If you don't mind? Yeah, embassy kept telling us to apply RP in Indonesia even though It's very clear what migri says on the website. I guess they are just worried that we would be illegal immigrants, coming from 3rd world country, that's at least what they are thinking about us. lol. A lot of Indonesian got married in Indonesia at KUA office (a civil marriage office for muslim people), they could register their marriage in Finland (I guess embassy is not only giving us services, but also understanding the culture). Like, It is very understanding why we can't travel together and live together with your BF or GF in Indonesia, since It's not a part of our culture, It's a living in sins sort of thing in our (Indonesian) point of view (but that's not my case, my family is open minded people, even though they are muslim. But they didn't allow me to visit my fiance this winter, they are worried about my safety since I'm the only daughter they have.)

I have mentioned earlier, that my fiance is still paying debts until april. The embassy need those pay slips the last 3 months, and bank account statements. We are afraid that we couldn't pass that one. Dealing with embassy can be a lil bit annoying. :( They suck, and keep giving wrong informations about applying RP. I can't believe that they can be a lil bit unproffesional. But I might be wrong, or they might be wrong about it. They probably need to visit migri page every once in awhile. lol.
Last edited by kanjengmami93 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.


bm50
AKA cockney
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by bm50 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi, I think better to contact alberti » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 am direct private message or email. Details on his page. Well there is a Mosque in Helsinki but don't know if he went there. Why does your husband need to show pay slips bank details etc? So you will apply for RP in Indonesia or Helsinki? Yes I had the same problem with the embassy staff they don't know all the EU etc regulations, tried to make my wife pay for her visa when it was free.


kanjengmami93
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:17 pm

bm50 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 pm
Hi, I think better to contact alberti » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 am direct private message or email. Details on his page. Well there is a Mosque in Helsinki but don't know if he went there. Why does your husband need to show pay slips bank details etc? So you will apply for RP in Indonesia or Helsinki? Yes I had the same problem with the embassy staff they don't know all the EU etc regulations, tried to make my wife pay for her visa when it was free.
Hi, thank you. I just messaged alberti. What I have heard from Indonesian girls who got married in Finland is that their husband needed to show the embassy his pay slips in the last 3 months, and his bank statements even though my fiance would be willing to pick me up in Indonesia. Embassy staff can be pain the ass especially If they are Indonesian officers. :x My fiance got really mad when he was emailing the embassy and the answers were rather rude, and unproffesional. They literally were yelling at me on the phone!! Jeez. I was asking them politely, they really got my nerve!!


bm50
AKA cockney
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by bm50 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi,

I still don't understand why the embassy would want to see 3 months pay slips bank statements from your husband? I would understand that if you were not married and sponsored you to visit Finland.
There are Mosques etc in towns closer to your husband in Pori and Tampere also a fast train to Helsinki from Parkano take just over 2 hours!


alberti
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 am

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by alberti » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi. At first would like to explain the rules of Schengen Visa. One important issue is that you can show that you have enough financiel means to stay on a Tourist Visa. Yourself ! They calculate for Finland 30 euro a day.
This is what I did first time. I simply transferred 2700 euro to my Girlfriends bank account(90 days x 30 euro). This was my holiday money I supposed to use for 4 months in Indonesia. Printed her bank balance out. They needed also mine 3months bank statement `s , but its mainly to show if you some income in Finland. Amount is not important . We did this in January 2017. In 2 weeks time we got the Schengen Visa. But we left to Finland 16 march. So we used up the money what was transferred to Indonesia earlier. So when upon arrival in Finland my wife (girlfriend then) had nothing on her Indonesian account. hah ha. :D
Other documents you need is an invitation letter. Stating where you are gonna life(your fiancée provides accommodation in his own home). Purpose of Visit. I wrote that I wanted to introduce my girlfriend and maybe future wife to Finnish Culture. Because maybe we would settle in Finland one day.
If you have a job in Indonesia, then let your employer make a reference letter. They want some proof you have economic ties with Indonesia. Although when applied 2th visa in August my wife had no job. But still got her visa.
Also you need a proof of travel insurance( 90 days about 140 €)
When applying for the third time a Schengen Visa about a month ago,we applied for family visit visa. Because she became my wife in November. No fee, No Insurance needed. On arrival in Helsinki Airport the custom officer told my wife, that next time she could go through EU citizen passport. Due to married with an EU citizen. The other cue was very long with Chinese tourist. Nice :D
Would recommend to get Married here in Finland. Less hassle with paper work. My wife spend months trying to get proper documents for marriage. Once we got the proper papers, the Indonesian Embassy in Helsinki was very helpful and efficient. Brought my girlfriend`s Indo documents(proof of being single, not married in Indonesia ) to Indo Embassy. 2 days later picked up a stamped legalized document to be used for applying marriage in Finland. 2 weeks later we got married :D . Then our marriage certificate was again legalized for foreign use, by ministry of foreign affairs in Helsinki. Just by walking in and pay 20 € for a stamp. With this document we legalized our marriage in Indonesia. Also very easy.
So now my Wife is still waiting here in Finland for her work/residence permit. If somehow denied, then we have to apply based on family ties .But she can stay until decision is made, even if it takes longer then the Schengen Visa. Its a long wait(now already 6 months since application) but we are together at least.
We also got a tip from the Indonesian Embassy about a Mosque in Helsinki,Munkivuori(actually a cellar under flat building) . Got married and converted according Islam. Received documents to take to Indonesia to show my wife parents.Too make them happy. There are just papers. In reality I am still Atheist . You can contact me anytime if needed more info. Just mail me , [email protected] . happy to help


alberti
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 am

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by alberti » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi
Somehow I cant use the features of sending private msg in this forum. The address you asked for is Munkivuoren Puistotie 15 . Islamic Multi-Cultural Da`wah Center Phone +35892410526


kanjengmami93
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:22 pm

bm50 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:31 pm
Hi,

I still don't understand why the embassy would want to see 3 months pay slips bank statements from your husband? I would understand that if you were not married and sponsored you to visit Finland.
There are Mosques etc in towns closer to your husband in Pori and Tampere also a fast train to Helsinki from Parkano take just over 2 hours!
Hi, I just knew that there are mosques close to where he lives, that's a really great news. Thanks for that!! :thumbsup: I mean, If I get married in Finland, he will have to show those things to the embassy, since he will be my sponsor (we are not married yet, we are planning to get married). since he is still paying his debts and I'm afraid It might affect the visa decision to get married in Finland due to his financial problem he has, so, getting married in Finland would be the last option. I'm really stressed out about our wedding date, visa, etc. Plus he is that kinda guy who doesn't want to do something complicated, he gave up on converting to islam in Finland already, It caused us to have a fight. So, I decided to make contacts to imams here in Indonesia who wants to convert him right away without any hussle.


biryvih
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 am

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by biryvih » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 pm

I still don't understand why the embassy would want to see 3 months pay slips bank statements from your husband? I would understand that if you were not married and sponsored you to visit Finland.
could be the reason http://migri.fi/en/moving-to-finland-to ... ily-member
he is that kinda guy who doesn't want to do something complicated, he gave up on converting to islam in Finland already, It caused us to have a fight.
I don't know how old you are, but I am assuming in your early 20's.. if you have never been to Finland, than I think you guys are rushing things quite a bit. "just to be together etc.." Finland is much much different than indonesia, your spouse is Finnish, but from my experience and some other friend's, things are different when you are abroad. Once you are in Finland, things change very rapidly...

All I am trying to say, think before you guys do anything serious. I have seen things change within few months and not in a good way. Finnish cultures is rather different when you start to live in Finland.

This is based on my assumption (I can be wrong) you are the only child, and I think your parents have taken care of you quite well, this will not be the case in Finland. And you mentioned your spouse lives in a small town... In the beginning everything will be warm and fuzzy, but with time it won't stay the same.. I am sorry if I come across a bit pessimist / a$$hol--ish.. but all I am saying, don't rush things.. think before you do anything, come visit Finland stay with your spouse in Finland few months and if everything goes well, go for residence permit...


kanjengmami93
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Applying Residence Permit for spouse of Finnish Citizen in Finland while on private visit visa

Post by kanjengmami93 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:38 pm

biryvih wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 pm
I still don't understand why the embassy would want to see 3 months pay slips bank statements from your husband? I would understand that if you were not married and sponsored you to visit Finland.
could be the reason http://migri.fi/en/moving-to-finland-to ... ily-member
he is that kinda guy who doesn't want to do something complicated, he gave up on converting to islam in Finland already, It caused us to have a fight.
I don't know how old you are, but I am assuming in your early 20's.. if you have never been to Finland, than I think you guys are rushing things quite a bit. "just to be together etc.." Finland is much much different than indonesia, your spouse is Finnish, but from my experience and some other friend's, things are different when you are abroad. Once you are in Finland, things change very rapidly...

All I am trying to say, think before you guys do anything serious. I have seen things change within few months and not in a good way. Finnish cultures is rather different when you start to live in Finland.

This is based on my assumption (I can be wrong) you are the only child, and I think your parents have taken care of you quite well, this will not be the case in Finland. And you mentioned your spouse lives in a small town... In the beginning everything will be warm and fuzzy, but with time it won't stay the same.. I am sorry if I come across a bit pessimist / a$$hol--ish.. but all I am saying, don't rush things.. think before you do anything, come visit Finland stay with your spouse in Finland few months and if everything goes well, go for residence permit...
Hi, thanks for commenting. :D I'm in fact 25 years old. :D We have been dating for more than 2 years, so I guess, that is not rushing thingy. There are a lot of Indonesian over there, they were dating their finnish spouse only for few months and decided to get married, and they live there in Finland, they don't seem to have any problem with the weather or anything.I don't mind about it either, I believe that human has its ability to adapt. As I have mentioned above, we want to start a family in Finland. I will take the risk of getting frozen in Finland as long as I'm with my husband, :lol: I'm sick of being in LDR and unable to see each other for a year now, It's bad enough for us (try LDR, you will find out how tragic It is) lol. I have been learning about Finland and everything and hoping that I can adapt with their culture and its people. I'm not coming to Finland without putting any effort to know about Finland.


Post Reply